What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Elliott raises Wolves hackles: DT

choc_soldier

Coach
Matthew Elliott raises Wolves hackles
By Josh Massoud | August 14, 2008 12:00am

0,,6196009,00.jpg

Under pressure ... Matthew Elliot rugs up at Penrith training. Photograph: Brad Hunter / The Daily Telegraph

PENRITH coach Matthew Elliott has again been forced to explain himself, this time for infuriating the club's NSW Cup feeder side, the Windsor Wolves.

Windsor officials were insulted by Elliott's implication there was insufficient player depth at the foot of the mountains to make wholesale changes in response to last Sunday's 62-point capitulation to Canberra.

The high-flying Wolves have lost just twice in the past three months, prompting club president Dick Prior to launch an extraordinary attack on Elliot yesterday.

"We're pretty disappointed in Mr Elliott's statements . . . they are just s . . . ," Prior fumed.

"We've won 10 of our past 12 games and for him to imply there's no one to pick is pretty ordinary.

"It's a kick in the teeth for our club and the players who have turned things around.

"It's hard to believe that a team can get flogged by that score (74-12) and only a winger (Geoff Daniela) be dropped.

"It shows he doesn't give a stuff about the NSW Cup."

But Elliott last night rejected Prior's claims, revealing Adam Woolnough and Paul Aiton - both of whom have played for Windsor recently - were definite starters against the Bulldogs on Saturday night: "I certainly was not being derogatory towards Windsor - that was certainly not my sentiment. I go to every Windsor game I can - there's guys from our fulltime squad playing there.

"There's two guys from Windsor playing this week, and there's probably another one or two unlucky not to be joining them."

Prior complained to Panthers general manager Mick Leary, but stressed Windsor were "100 per cent" committed to continue serving the NRL club.
Elliott phoned Prior last night to clarify his position.

"Dick was fine," Elliot reported. "I've made four changes to the side - with two players (Luke Rooney and Luke Lewis) coming back from injury. Under the circumstances that's probably enough."

Leary said he would also speak to the coach about the comments. It will be the second time in four days Leary has fronted Elliott, who was issued with a "please explain" earlier this week for talking to sacked Raiders wild child Todd Carney on the eve of Sunday's thrashing.

"I can understand Windsor's concerns but I don't think Matt meant anything untowards," Leary said.

"I'll talk to Matt about it, but I'm sure his comments were directed at the squad that played in Canberra."

Leary also denied Jarrod Sammut would be allowed to leave after the out-of-favour livewire sought a release last month.

"With Rhys Wesser not here next year, Jarrod is now a big part of our plans," Leary said. "He will be competing with Lachalan Coote for the fullback spot. There's no way we will be letting him go."

LINK

maple_69

Bench
Leary also denied Jarrod Sammut would be allowed to leave after the out-of-favour livewire sought a release last month./quote]

Oh dear. We predicted it and now Sammut will try and get out when he can as long as Elliott is at the club. Great...

Also, I agree with Windsor, Elliott's comments are ridiculous. Windsor is the form side of the NSW Cup comp and we've heard about a number of players such as Schubert and Randall who are killing it, not to mention McCrone, and all Elliott can muster is "I promoted Woolnough and Aiton...sorry bud but they are regular first graders and are barely part of that team. Anyway I'm just pissed that Elliott is such a wanker not really because of the situation.

Final word: Leary should be issuing Elliott with please explains for sh*thouse performances over last 18 months.

Pantha-Boy

Juniors
Leary also denied Jarrod Sammut would be allowed to leave after the out-of-favour livewire sought a release last month./quote]

Oh dear. We predicted it and now Sammut will try and get out when he can as long as Elliott is at the club. Great...

Also, I agree with Windsor, Elliott's comments are ridiculous. Windsor is the form side of the NSW Cup comp and we've heard about a number of players such as Schubert and Randall who are killing it, not to mention McCrone, and all Elliott can muster is "I promoted Woolnough and Aiton...sorry bud but they are regular first graders and are barely part of that team. Anyway I'm just pissed that Elliott is such a wanker not really because of the situation.

Final word: Leary should be issuing Elliott with please explains for sh*thouse performances over last 18 months.

The time will come.

Latest posts