What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Elliot as head coach.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Last weekend on ABC radio Grandstand the compare asked Matthew Elliot would he coach the Dragons if asked. His reply was ' I would have to think about it for about 4.7 seconds and it would be a definite yes'.

He would be better than Mary but would he be the answer?

No for me. He was at times, a bit out there with his coaching methods.

possm

Coach
Last weekend on ABC radio Grandstand the compare asked Matthew Elliot would he coach the Dragons if asked. His reply was ' I would have to think about it for about 4.7 seconds and it would be a definite yes'.

Right now I'd be happy with an alternative to Mary. Would be great if the new candidate was competent, experienced and able to instil discipline and comradery within the playing squad. I don't know how Elliot would go but at this stage I would give him all my support for the first six months and then judge him from there on.

Coffs dragon

Bench
He's a smart footy operator and really knows how to dissect a game, however I believe he would be a better assistant/advisor to a younger coach like Demetriou, Ryles, Fitzgibbon, Obrien and even Barrett.
IMO He's been out of the coaching roundabout for too long to hold a Head Coaching role.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
He was also asked the same question about the vacant Gold Coast position on Sunday during the Manly Parra call. Didn't give an answer to that one

SaintPauli

Juniors
Right now I'd be happy with an alternative to Mary. Would be great if the new candidate was competent, experienced and able to instil discipline and comradery within the playing squad. I don't know how Elliot would go but at this stage I would give him all my support for the first six months and then judge him from there on.
1 year deal to start with kpi min. Top 8 or bye bye for second tier coaches. Long term deals say 2 or 3 years with only current top 4 coaches in NRL.

SBD82

Coach
There’s no doubting that Elliot knows the game. His show on NRL.com used to be the best analysis of footy in the media.

But he lacks the ability to translate that knowledge into results. He’s quirky, and players don’t seem to respond to him.

As someone said above, potentially a great technical assistant to a head coach.

Abacus

Juniors
1 year deal to start with kpi min. Top 8 or bye bye for second tier coaches. Long term deals say 2 or 3 years with only current top 4 coaches in NRL.
Don't get him in your club. He's like mould - you scrub and spray and think you've got the problem sorted, nek minnit its there again. Unfortunately once he's there the only sure way to get him out is to demolish and start again. I mean he walked into a review meeting with the Panthers board to be sacked and walked out with an extension.

Tbf, probably the reason he's interested (& with all respect to the club's supporters) is your board's reluctance to move on under-achieving coaches.

Paddles

Juniors
Elliott is a good analyst, has a good grounding and sense of humour, and a wide range of experience. He's been around clubs in the UK and Australia, and is a prominent media figure. He is also a bit older, with the authority that can bring to a group of younger folks who have been lacking leadership.

I think he could be a positive part of a new setup in some capacity - assistant, coach, or a glorified Gus/Panthers type role.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Elliott is a good analyst, has a good grounding and sense of humour, and a wide range of experience. He's been around clubs in the UK and Australia, and is a prominent media figure. He is also a bit older, with the authority that can bring to a group of younger folks who have been lacking leadership.

I think he could be a positive part of a new setup in some capacity - assistant, coach, or a glorified Gus/Panthers type role.
Analyst and assistant coach i can agree. He does have a good footy brain.

BLM01

First Grade

NFW. Worse record than Mary. Only longer term coach except for Kearney to never win a finals game despite finishing 2nd in one year...like Brian Smith long serving coach and still no GF glory after what was it 4 or 5 attempts.

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
Matthew Elliott...44% win percentage in the NRL. Better than Barrett, worse than McGregor.

Just because he wants to be a coach doesn't mean he should be.

A number of better options available.
Not even in the first 10 options.

Latest posts