What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Elliott

hrundi99

First Grade
Problem is that I'm sure he has no intention of leaving the Roosters at any point in the near or distant future.

Next candidate?

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
kris_man said:
oh! that explains how the brumbies manage to get such great players playing for them!
and how can you explain our juniors, ie, players who were born and raised in canberra, wanting to leave?
seriously 04, this is not a rhetorical question: what do you think elliott's responsbilities as a coach are?

I do believe there is alot more money in Union than League.
Ever thought, that if a player left Canberra, is because it's their own personal decision. Not cause of Elliott?

Elliott's responsibilities is to coach skills and tactics for players.
Players responsibility is to use these skills and tactics to bring in the results.
If it doesn't happen the way it should have on game day, it's not Elliott's fault. You can't seriously believe Elliott has to do everything.

Heres a question for you:
Have you been to a training session, and watched Elliott and the players train, or are you assuming Elliott is doing nothing?

edabomb

First Grade
I dunno where you get the impression Stuart is going to come back to Canberra. Its along the same line as those who thought we were a shot at signing Lyon. IMO anyway.

Plus all of the Roosters credit cannot be given to Stuart. They have no budget, they basically sign whoever they want and have the best collective coaching staff in the league.

Anyway I'm off for a sleep, catch you later bay!!!!! Nice debating.

Bay56

First Grade
edabomb said:
I'm 50/50 on Carney. I see where Elliott is coming from. If we risk him now he could have a confidence crisis along the lines of Finch. Finch struggled for confidence through 2 seasons here, he goes to the Roosters and looks like a very solid first grader. We stand to lose more pinning all our hopes on Carney this season than letting him go round in PL for a little longer. Can we honestly say we are a shot at the title if Carney plays this season?? I would say no, and if a change with that many negative factors doesn't give us a shot at a premiership I'm against it, or can see the logic behind it.

What risk ... he's 17 now and will be 17.5 next season ... when does Elliot "risk" him ... from what I saw of his time on the field he handled himself quite well .. will he be the solution to our halves I'm not yet totally convinced but he couldnt do any worse than Drew for that I'm certain.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
Stop DREAMING stuart will come to canberra. HE WILL NEVER COME BACK. WE WOULD HAVE MORE CHANCE OF GETTING SOMEONE LIKE CHRIS ANDERSON. :x

azza

Juniors
edabomb said:
I'm 50/50 on Carney. I see where Elliott is coming from. If we risk him now he could have a confidence crisis along the lines of Finch. Finch struggled for confidence through 2 seasons here, he goes to the Roosters and looks like a very solid first grader. We stand to lose more pinning all our hopes on Carney this season than letting him go round in PL for a little longer. Can we honestly say we are a shot at the title if Carney plays this season?? I would say no, and if a change with that many negative factors doesn't give us a shot at a premiership I'm against it, or can see the logic behind it.

I disagree with a lot of that. The point is Carney will not win us a premiership this year but him playing in firsts will be valuable for his development. These comments about trying to prevent him from having a confidence crisis are highly impractical IMO. He is never going to get confidence playing in reserves and coming on for 10-20 minute bursts in the top grade. It doesn't matter whether he is 19 or 25, confidence ebbs and flows and if he is talented enough he will be able to overcome those confidence problems rapidly.

We can't expect the world from Carney straight away but why not start him on the path now, rather than wait for nothing? I for one still don't know whether he is the answer. I have heard great things about him but it's extremely hard to get a gauge from the limited opportunity he gets in firsts. He has hardly been given a chance to take a kick in general play, FFS.

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:
Heres a question for you:
Have you been to a training session, and watched Elliott and the players train, or are you assuming Elliott is doing nothing?

No I havent ... I make my judgement on what I see on the playing field .. thats were all that training manifests itself.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
He has kicked in General play.

How can you bring a player into a team, and expect them to become more confident, when the players around him aren't playing with confidence?

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
No I havent ... I make my judgement on what I see on the playing field .. thats were all that training manifests itself.

When you train, can you predict the circumstances and what's going to happen on game day? I wish i had that power.
Was Elliott prepared for Weymans injury on Sunday?

azza

Juniors
Yeah, he's kicked once. I said hardly. Please read my posts before commenting.

How can you expect a player to gain confidence in his ability to play first grade when he is limited to first division despite continual magnificent showings?

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:
He has kicked in General play.

How can you bring a player into a team, and expect them to become more confident, when the players around him aren't playing with confidence?

Easy ... coach them some decent attacking plays .. a run of tries can do wonders for anyones confidence (and vice versa !!)

Kris_man

Bench
Raiders 2004 said:
Ever thought, that if a player left Canberra, is because it's their own personal decision. Not cause of Elliott?
i wasn't implying that players are leaving because of elliott. i was just trying to point out the very little relation that geography has with player momement.
in answer to your question, the answer is obviously no. but let me pose another question to you: how many clubs have you seen train apart from the raiders? because if you've only seen the raiders train, then you won't have anyhting to compare to.

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:

When you train, can you predict the circumstances and what's going to happen on game day? I wish i had that power.
Was Elliott prepared for Weymans injury on Sunday?

Ohh here we go ... now its injuries to players .. so what was the problem when we had our strongest team of the year and got walloped by Manly .. and a 1 point vctory against the bottom team Warriors ... and a win by a poultry 8 points against the tigers who just had 120 points scored against them in two matches scoring none themselves and having a 13-3 penalty count against them .... injuries my f**king arsehole.

edabomb

First Grade
So if Carney had played vs Manly and we still got 40 points put on us that'd make him a confident first grader?? More like you lot would be on him in a second suggesting he go join Finch at the Roosters. What if he plays these later games and we lose?? He has the whole off season to question whether he is a first grade footy player. It's better to bring players in at the start of the season when they have the chance to make up for their mistakes in a week, especially at the age of 17 with so much hope on his shoulders.

I guess you can see it from your perspective all you want, nothing I say is going to change that. Matty Elliott for coach of the year!!!! (PS. That is sarcasm kris_man)

Bay56

First Grade
Edabomb I thought you were going to sleep ... are you on night shift or something :)

Anyway I am going to sleep .. good luck for the team on Sunday.

Steven Gerrard

First Grade
I have seen St George and the Bulldogs.

azza, i do read your posts, but your like a record on repeat.

Maybe I should apologise for supporting my coach when times get hard, rather than pay him out continously....

Bay56

First Grade
Raiders 2004 said:
I have seen St George and the Bulldogs.

Maybe I should apologise for supporting my coach when times get hard, rather than pay him out continously....

R04 just admit you are beaten so that I can go to sleep :) :lol: :)

azza

Juniors
Raiders 2004 said:

That's quite funny, coming from you.

And maybe I should apologise for wanting my team to do better and hence criticisng the coach (although I do try to provide REASONS) ? I dont think so

Latest posts