What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Johns to consider legal avenues

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25509188-2722,00.html

Matthew Johns to consider legal avenues

Stuart Honeysett | May 20, 2009
Article from: The Australian

DISGRACED Nine Network personality Matthew Johns is believed to be exploring his legal options as holes have begun to emerge in the story of the woman who was involved in a group-sex incident with Cronulla players in 2002.

Johns was stood down indefinitely by Nine last week following a damaging ABC Four Corners report that included accounts from victims of several sex scandals to have blighted rugby league in recent years.

Johns also lost his position onthe Melbourne Storm coaching staff.

While Johns was considering what he could do to save his future, Four Corners issued a statement yesterday to answer several questions or criticisms that have arisen from the story, including concerns it was biased against the football and TV star.

"Four Corners cannot control what is said in the outer reaches of the internet," the statement said. "We can correct some of the rumours and untruths being printed or broadcast in the mainstream media. In doing so we would also like to set the record straight on how the story came into being.

"Matthew Johns spoke to Four Corners on numerous occasions about the events, and we included comments he made in the story.

"He declined, however, to give an on-camera interview to Four Corners and answer more detailed questions about his role in the incident."

Johns's decision to stand down was triggered after a woman, then 19, referred to as "Clare", revealed that up to six players, including Johns, had sex or performed degrading acts on her while another six watched in a room of the Racecourse Hotel outside Christchurch in New Zealand.

She said the incident had left her feeling suicidal and admitted she felt like killing the players who had been involved.

However, it is believed the Johns camp is now looking at its legal options after the woman's character was called into question during the past week.

She has been accused of bragging about the group-sex incident with Johns and other players, and having a threesome with football players the night before it happened.

While Johns has admitted his involvement in the group-sex incident, he has maintained the woman was a willing participant at all times.

This was backed up by a police investigation in 2002 that yielded no charges on the issue that the act had been consensual.

The scandal forced a public apology from NRL chief executive David Gallop and has triggered several sponsors to withdraw their support from the Sharks, costing the club $150,000.

Yesterday's lengthy statement from Four Corners included a plea from Clare to be left alone and an attempt to debunk some of the myths that have been circulating since the program went to air.

These included that Clare had bragged about the incident, that it would have been impossible for a player to climb through the bathroom window to watch, and that no one involved was ever taken out of context.

"Most of the activity that took place during the incident is not disputed," the statement said. "Players and staff gave graphic accounts to police of the sexual activity.

"One player told police that at least one of them had climbed in through the bathroom window and crawled commando-style along the floor of the room.

"As far as Clare's state of mind at the time is concerned, when she made a complaint to Christchurch police a few days after the incident, police noted her distress in their reports.

"She was in tears and found it very difficult to describe what had happened. Days later, the police also noted that some comments she made suggesting she was not distressed were a mechanism for coping with what had happened."

The story has taken its toll on the embattled Cronulla club after it slumped to its eighth consecutive loss for the season last Saturday night.

The club is expected to part company with major backer, LG Electronics - which tips in $1million a year - at the end of the season.

bartman

Immortal
Who is he looking at legal options against? The article doesn't actually say...

He can only really take legal action against his employers, as they are the ones that took a business decision to stand him down. Can't see him taking Ch 9 or the Storm to court though.

The woman from Christchurch hasn't said anything that can end up in court. She's just said how she feels all these years later. Johns has admitted being involved in the team group sex, there's been a public backlash over that, and that's why he's been stood down.

Good luck if he thinks he can take a tv show or newspaper to court over anything that's been aired... I don't think there's a law that covers how the public perceive a public figure after they have admitted their involvement in an incident.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
here is the 4C statement...

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2009/s2575275.htm

FOUR CORNERS - CODE OF SILENCE

Four Corners have made a statement relating to "Code of Silence", first broadcast 11 May 2009.
Date: 19/05/2009
STATEMENT

Due to the high level of interest in this program, we would like to answer a number of questions that have arisen in response to the story.
Four Corners cannot control what is said in the outer reaches of the internet. We can correct some of the rumours and untruths being printed or broadcast in the mainstream media. In doing so we would also like to set the record straight on how the story came into being.
After the incident with the Cronulla Sharks occurred in Christchurch in 2002, Clare was pursued by the media to tell her story; she was offered money by commercial media in Australia; she refused all requests to speak about it. The intervening years were marked by post traumatic stress disorder and its debilitating symptoms. Two months ago, after we had begun researching a story on Rugby League, one of the members of the Cronulla Sharks tour to New Zealand told Four Corners about the events in Christchurch. Through our research we found Clare and asked her to take part in a program looking at off-field incidents in the NRL, attitudes to women in the culture of the game and the possibility for change. On that basis and knowing there were other women also speaking out, she agreed.

A few points of clarification: Clare was not paid for the interview. Payment is contrary to ABC Editorial guidelines. Her only requirement was that we protect her identity.

Clare has not "boasted" about the fallout from the story. She is in hiding from the media, and has made no comment about the consequences of the story for others.

The program was extensively researched based on police material, medical reports and the first- hand accounts of participants, not hearsay from people unconnected with the events.

The New Zealand police have not made any adverse comment about the program. They have gone on the record to say that suggestion is completely untrue.

Most of the activity that took place during the incident is not disputed. Players and staff gave graphic accounts to police of the sexual activity. One player told police that at least one of them had climbed in through the bathroom window and crawled commando-style along the floor of the room.

We stated explicitly in the story that we were not focussing on the issue of consent in relation to the incident in Christchurch. We stated simply that Clare made a complaint to police. This was investigated at the time. The players say she consented and no charges were laid. The focus of this incident was the role of group sex in rugby league culture and the consequences for the woman involved.

As far as Clare’s state of mind at the time is concerned, when she made a complaint to Christchurch police a few days after the incident, police noted her distress in their reports. She was in tears and found it very difficult to describe what had happened. Days later, the police also noted that some comments she made suggesting she was not distressed were a mechanism for coping with what had happened.

The manager of the hotel in Christchurch, Clare’s boss Keith Burgess, said that Clare was “a stable person” and “the last person to be involved in that kind of thing.” Clare says she doesn’t know the owner of the hotel who has recently made derogatory remarks about her.

The events later in the evening at the hotel are disputed. Player Daniel Ninness said last week that Clare was not distressed leaving the hotel. Clare told police in signed statements at the time that Ninness was kind to her and came to her rescue and she relied on him for support to get home. We attempted to contact Ninness prior to broadcast but were unsuccessful.

Four Corners sought interviews with all the players and staff from the team that we were able to track down prior to broadcast. No one wanted to give an on-camera interview. Some spoke freely to Four Corners, others did not. We identified those people whose presence was confirmed by more than one firsthand account. They were Matthew Johns, Brett Firman and Paul Gallen, who told us he came into the room at the end.

Matthew Johns spoke to Four Corners on numerous occasions about the events and we included comments he made in the story. He declined however to give an on-camera interview to Four Corners and answer more detailed questions about his role in the incident. We told Johns in advance of the broadcast that the young woman’s testimony was moving, that she had clearly suffered after the event and had been psychologically damaged by it.

Matthew Johns said before the broadcast went to air that he agreed the worst response to the program would be for anyone to go after the girl. Clare has recently contacted Four Corners asking that the media leave her in peace.

She said this:
I am being harassed in the most awful ways and what is being reported by jornalists (sic) is horrible and untrue. They have got people speaking of me that are not my friends or people I have never met. It feels like I am living in a nightmare. All I wanted to do was to make people aware of the culture and stop it happening to other girls.

In relation to the Newcastle Knights section of the story, the Knights were frequently updated during the making of the story, up to and including just before broadcast. No comment from any one in any part of the program was taken out of context. Four Corners has received no complaint or question from anyone actually involved in the story suggesting the contrary.

Sue Spencer
Four Corners Executive Producer

Sarah Ferguson
Reporter

El Diablo

Post Whore
He can only really take legal action against his employers, as they are the ones that took a business decision to stand him down. Can't see him taking Ch 9 or the Storm to court though.

they didn't sack him

i'd guess it's Four Corners. maybe their press release is a sign of panic

kurt faulk

Coach

what could he possibly sue them for?

will he deny he didn't do the dirty on his wife after admitting he did?

that's despicable enough in itself.

all the other stuff would be entirely believable. if the woman is traumatised or not he can't deny it didn't happen.

bartman

Immortal
they didn't sack him

i'd guess it's Four Corners. maybe their press release is a sign of panic
Exactly.

Reading the 4C statement there, the show was very careful not to say or broadcast anything specifically incriminating in terms of the legal side of the Christchurch incident. There's not much room Johns has for legal action against anyone imo.

Other than taking action against himself for not keeping his dick in his pants at the time... You make a living out of public popularity, you have to expect that living to take a hit if the public have reason to doubt your image.

bartman

Immortal
Maybe Johns is planning to take the legal action against his fellow player who leaked the story to 4C, and hence broke the "code of silence"...?

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhqnews/exteammate-a-sexstory-source/2009/05/19/1242498752984.html

Former teammate was source of group sex story

Brad Walter and Jamie Pandaram | May 20, 2009

THE ABC television program Four Corners revealed last night that a former Cronulla teammate was the source of a story about a group-sex incident involving players in 2002.

The program took the extraordinary step of releasing a statement about its source, which said: "Two months ago, after we had begun researching a story on rugby league, one of the members of the Cronulla Sharks tour to New Zealand told Four Corners about the events in Christchurch."

The statement also included a plea to be left in peace from the woman who gave the program a graphic account of her encounter with the Sharks players.

"I am being harassed in the most awful ways and what is being reported by journalists is horrible and untrue," the woman said.

"They have got people speaking of me who are not my friends or people I have met. It feels like I am living in a nightmare. All I wanted to do was to make people aware of the culture and stop it happening to other girls."

The Footy Show host and rugby league commentator Matthew Johns was stood down by Channel Nine after the Four Corners program. The allegations have rocked the NRL and placed even more strain on the financially troubled Sharks.

Former Sharks Test prop Jason Stevens last night denied any involvement in the incident.

A statement issued by his lawyer said: "Our client was in no way involved in the incident concerning teammate Matthew Johns, nor was he in the room at any time during the incident taking place. Other than providing that information our client has no further comment to make."

Player Daniel Ninness said last week that he had gone back to the woman's home after the incident but that he did not have sex with her.

Four Corners said the woman had signed statements at the time of the incident that Ninness was kind to her, had come to her rescue and that she relied on him for support to get home.

Johns's manager John Fordham said: "I don't think a statement from Four Corners eight days after the program went to air will wash at all with the public, who now have a better understanding of the situation as a result of the interview last week with Matthew and Trish Johns and the subsequent revelations."
Fordham's talking it up a bit there imo, the 4C statement clears up a lot of the vague accusations that have been dug up and circulated in favour of his client since the program aired. Fordham would most likely be missing out on his manager's cut of Johns' income at the moment...

ramble_on

Juniors
"All I wanted to do was to make people aware of the culture and stop it happening to other girls."

If this were true names would have been kept out of it. And they should have been. The point could have been made without scapegoats, especially when not less than a dozen "scandalous" players are still earning their paychecks.... I believe ABC, CH 9 and Storm will all be writing up confidentiality agreements as we speak........ and signing cheques.... but we won't see MJ again.....

bartman

Immortal
Johns will return to 9 down the track, nothing surer.

Difference between Johns and the others in the room is that Johns' credibility and means of living is entirely dependent on his public image - bit different to a retired player who becomes a carpenter etc.

Once Johns himself has had time to realise and accept that the game has to move on from that type of stuff if it wants a greater slice of the public to embrace it, he'll cut a deal through his manager to come out and be a spokesperson for the change of culture the game requires, and then he'll be back on TV at the end of the year if he still wants to be - but probably without any of his trademark attempts at humour (eg Reg, Elton, Percy, Trent etc).

ramble_on

Juniors
The scenario you put forth probably isn't a bad one... but I doubt it will happen... what's his angle going to be? In the eyes of the public he hid his shame for 7 years.... not a good image for prevention unless it's to avoid getting caught.. (that's image, not what I actually believe)... he may well be able to work behind the scenes though... I don't doubt his regret.....

bartman

Immortal
what's his angle going to be? In the eyes of the public he hid his shame for 7 years.... not a good image for prevention unless it's to avoid getting caught.. (that's image, not what I actually believe)... he may well be able to work behind the scenes though... I don't doubt his regret.....
I don't think it's about him hiding shame for 7 years, as far as the wider public is concerned? It was investigated at the time and no charges laid, his wife and he dealt with the infidelity in private, as it wasn't a public incident where he (or any other specific ex-Sharks player) was publicly connected until two weeks ago.

I think the angle for his return has to be (after quite a few months away from the public eye, as Matty himself has accepted in the mutual standing downs from his positions) that Matthew Johns:
a) has come to realise that there are consequences for others that come of behaviour you think might be alright at the time
b) has come to learn that this is a very different pain to that experienced by him and his wife/family in coming to terms with his infidelity over the past seven years, and
c) is now willing to personally spread the warning message to NRL players to be very careful of their actions and their respect for women involved in their future sexual dealings, by becoming a regular part of the NRL education program conducted by Vagana etc.

If Johns and his manager go to the league in about four months time with that proposal (particularly the bit about joining the education program), they and Channel 9 might see that they can promote the positive for the game in his change of attitude and what he is doing to help others with their attitudes, and that could be the basis in which he returns to league as a commentator before grand final day (but maybe not as a weekly fixture on the footy talk shows until next year or even later).

The public can be happy, the NRL can be happy, Channel 9 can be happy, 4 Corners can be happy (the NRL improving what it is doing about player attitudes through using Johns), the portrayed victims also see change, and (hopefully) Matthew Johns himself is a changed man and can be happy. Win-win situation. If this comes true, Fordham should give me some of his cut of the spoils... ;-) No legal action necessary or required, just six months max without his public image-related wage, as a wake-up call for having risked his image in the first place.

Last edited:

ramble_on

Juniors
I agree on all parts on how Johns should be re-entered into his media profile... except one thing this whole circus has shown me is that both the adamant defenders (sometimes refered to as neanderthals) and condemners (aka feminazis) constitute the majority and his return will just spark another media frenzy with little to gain in productively helping the sport... will do wonders for media though...

I think it was your analogy to genies and bottles made earlier... I don't think MJ will ever find the lid.....

Kiki

First Grade
If this was the USA matthew would either go to rehab for sex addiction or find Jesus. Unfortuately for him no one in Australia would really buy into either of those ploys.

Brycey

Juniors
She said this:
I am being harassed in the most awful ways and what is being reported by jornalists (sic) is horrible and untrue. They have got people speaking of me that are not my friends or people I have never met. It feels like I am living in a nightmare. All I wanted to do was to make people aware of the culture and stop it happening to other girls.

Just goes to show how naive this silly girl is.

You take on the most popular winter sport that is owned by the biggest media company that make a living out of publishing trash and you didn't expect this to happen.

You're a fool for thinking otherwise, hope it was worth it.

Brutus

Referee
Congratulations to that gutless ABC programme 4 Corners. Ever since the show was aired over a week ago several radio stations and journos have been seeking out the producer and reporter to talk about the one-sided report and find out just how it was put together. 8 days later they release a convenient statement refuting the growing wave of criticism directed at the programme. Why not front up for a few live interviews?? Gutless, gutless gutless. And to think our taxpayer dollars are going to this unaccountable mob.

Brutus

Referee
I can't get this notion of John hiding his shame for 7 years. He was investigated by police, his wife new all about it. What is supposed to do hold a press conference and tell the world he had group sex? One would think that's a private matter and he and the club were under no obligation to talk about it to members of the press.