What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matthew Lodge

Penrose_11

Juniors
Yeah I thought Broncos were still paying some of his contract. Possibly even more than 1/2 of it?? This comp is so full of ducks and drakes tho, who knows what to believe. Storm, Panthers, Roosters all with quality rosters and under the cap. And then you have the Warriors…..An average roster and now $700k less on the cap

jaseg

Juniors
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not how the salary cap auditors will see it. If what they've been saying so far is true, anyway.

hitro

Juniors
this feels like a low point that could destroy the club like the worst days of the Eric Watson Era or the Graeme Lowe era...

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Heres what i see

Lodge and Robinson get into a dust up in December.
He gets wind that hes on the outta and going to be asked to leave
He activates his player option
Club gets pissed and deny his request
He says legally you cant deny me that
They tell him to piss off but will pay him the player option for 2023 only if he leaves immediatly
I reckon this is spot on. These meatheads are usually represented by agents who give no f**ks about the clubs, the NRL and probably even the players at times - they just want their slice. And they're savvy, so they can usually get their way. Same as the Haas thing - he's saying he wants out, and he'll get it. He has the Broncos over a barrel because if they do what we wish they'd do, and say 'nup you're in ressies until 2024' then it blocks up their cap and poisons the environment.

Surely if we were smart (which I know, we aren't), we could have called Lodge's bluff on an account that our circumstances are much different? If he activates his player option, we say sweet as - see you in Auckland in November. He says uhhh no f**k that I don't want to move, then we say oh okay, well then you're not satisfying the terms of your contract and we fire you, without clogging our cap.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Warriors have released a statement saying this cash payout has no bearing on their cap for this year or next
I can't find it on their website or online.

I'd find that astonishing - if the contract is in his favour, which we all believe it is, then releasing him early means it counts to the cap. The only way it wouldn't, would be medical. Abdo said the auditors are looking into it, I feel like there's more to play out with this. And the Sydney media are onto it, so it will be hunted down.

f**k this club is awful. I read back on the original Lodge is gone Warriors release, where it said we're now focused on the future and developing younger players. And we then signed Dumanis Lui. Nice one. Surely Cameron George walks over this, it is a massive f**k up. And he's like a puppet in the media, saying 'Mark Robinson's culture', 'Mark Robinson this' 'Mark Robinson's club' that like he has Mark Robinson's hand up his arse pulling his every move.

Leber

Bench
If he digs his heels in and demands to activate his player option, then why release him? Even if there’s beef with Robinson.

He was playing well. Just keep him in the team and put your differences aside. Paying him out only f**ks Us up more because there’s less money to buy decent players which means we are less likely to have success.

Seems like Robinson has cut off his nose to spite his face.

Meth

Staff member
Warriors have released a statement saying this cash payout has no bearing on their cap for this year or next

If this is correct (and it's a big 'if'), then some of the anger is abated, I suppose. The impact on our cap is probably the hardest thing to stomach. But still, what kind of message does this send to Reece Walsh or Luke Metcalf? 'Hey, sign a deal and then, if midway through, you decide you can't be arsed seeing it through, walk away and we'll pay you out as if you fulfilled the deal'

Still plenty more answers needed.

Rich102

Staff member
Despite having a lot of people thinking he looks like an idiot, Mark Robinson seems determined to prove he is worthy of the title, in spades! Plus he holds a grudge.
Best leave the decisions involving thinking to rest of the team Mark, I think you may be on borrowed time.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Despite having a lot of people thinking he looks like an idiot, Mark Robinson seems determined to prove he is worthy of the title, in spades! Plus he holds a grudge.
Best leave the decisions involving thinking to rest of the team Mark, I think you may be on borrowed time.
But is he on borrowed time? Is there anything anyone can do about an owner of the club unless he wants to step down? He's not appointed by a Board is he? I could be very wrong, but I don't know in what scenario he could be forced to step down. For a start, I don't think enough people care that deeply about the Warriors at the moment. Would there be enough public pressure to sink him? Sure, that would happen for the All Blacks (if they were privately owned) but not the Warriors, given their lack of performance and visibility since COVID.

I remember us all saying the last thing we needed was a jumped up egomaniac running this club, again. And we have another one - probably the biggest in our history. And we need to be honest, when this club generally runs at a big loss, the only people who are going to take on that position are jumped up egomaniacs. At least in the good old days, at least Watson (who is a crooked POS) stayed out of the limelight, by and large.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
If he digs his heels in and demands to activate his player option, then why release him? Even if there’s beef with Robinson.

He was playing well. Just keep him in the team and put your differences aside. Paying him out only f**ks Us up more because there’s less money to buy decent players which means we are less likely to have success.

Seems like Robinson has cut off his nose to spite his face.
I guess we had to - Lodge the piece of shit texted to say he wasn't going to play against the Dragons. What a low life, can't even front the coach, or ring at worst.

We all know now that if a player is high enough profile or tight enough with the playing group, they can generally dig their heels in and get a release if they want one. Lodge did it only a year or so ago. And I can think of heaps more.

Only one I can think of in which the club said 'nah f**k ya' and dug their heels in was Tallis with the Dragons way back when. Unless I'm forgetting something

WellsNZ

Juniors
Did we keep paying RTS as a gesture when he walked out?

We should be supplementing CHTs travelling and writing journey given we've now become a Go Fund Me page. At least he seems like a good bloke.

I'm glad the Aussie media is actually digging into it rather than just saying Warriors who cares, because I don't back any of our journalists to do much beyond either "lol Warriors" or keeping their mouth zipped to not burn any bridges.

Rich102

Staff member
But is he on borrowed time? Is there anything anyone can do about an owner of the club unless he wants to step down? He's not appointed by a Board is he? I could be very wrong, but I don't know in what scenario he could be forced to step down. For a start, I don't think enough people care that deeply about the Warriors at the moment. Would there be enough public pressure to sink him? Sure, that would happen for the All Blacks (if they were privately owned) but not the Warriors, given their lack of performance and visibility since COVID.

I remember us all saying the last thing we needed was a jumped up egomaniac running this club, again. And we have another one - probably the biggest in our history. And we need to be honest, when this club generally runs at a big loss, the only people who are going to take on that position are jumped up egomaniacs. At least in the good old days, at least Watson (who is a crooked POS) stayed out of the limelight, by and large.
You are quite right. Nobody can make him see sense if he chooses not to.
But no company in it's right mind would choose to go on pouring money into the Warriors unless there is some form of return.
Dun & Broadstreet estimates Autex's yearly sales as $4.41 million US$.
(https://www.dnb.com/business-direct...limited.b590623708ae5adb075d7e5acc488442.html)

Bad publicity still hurts. A fact the NRL will be very aware of.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The only thing I see in the club’s favour is Lodge’s public statements about not wanting to move to NZ. If those were made before the activation of his extra year option, then I could conceivably see the NRL considering that he was acting in bad faith and allowing salary cap dispensation for next year.