What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matty Elliot is a goose-Official.

Anonymous

Juniors
The final lines in the matchreport in the telegraph today were 'raiders coach Matthew Elliot was happy with his teams performance'.

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

sydraider

First Grade
Whats new???? The guy has been wearing beer goggles since day one and to think i wanted BELLAMY as a coach, what was i thinking #-o

Bay56

First Grade
Boyo I better start printing a few more of those "Whingers Party" application forms 8)

And its taken you guys all this time to work out that we need a new coach ... next you will be asking for management to be sacked :lol: :lol:

No, Elliot actually thought the effort was there, that they lacked direction after Simon left the field, and that Penrith were just too damn good on the night. Most people I have talked to agreed, Penrith were just too good.

greeneyed

First Grade
Schif_Happens said:
No, Elliot actually thought the effort was there, that they lacked direction after Simon left the field, and that Penrith were just too damn good on the night. Most people I have talked to agreed, Penrith were just too good.

And that is the problem.... the same side can beat the Broncos. Why can't they beat Penrith too? Lack of good preparation, lack of commitment from the players, is my thought. I acknowledge the disruptions to the team... but the comprehensiveness of the flogging is a frightening indicator of how we might go if we do make the 8.

azza

Juniors
And how many times do we hear Elliot say... "in hindsight, we should have done this and that blah blah blah" (this time it was admitting McLinden should not have played). Elliot often acknowledges the team's preparation has not been ideal (eg after the Sharks game at Toyota Park earlier this year where we put in an absolute shocker) and says "I have to look at what I am doing and cop some of the blame". He said this when we had upset losses last year as well, eg to Nth Qld, and where we also almost got beaten by Wests.

The point is, although this sounds lovely and sportsmanlike it really reduces my confidence in the bloke when we hear this time and time again. It's his job to get it right FIRST TIME EVERY TIME. To simply acknowledge he has made a mistake is scary when the same thing keeps happening with our mental preparation. I really have no confidence in Elliot at all as a coach anymore.

thickos

First Grade
greeneyed said:
Schif_Happens said:

And that is the problem.... the same side can beat the Broncos. Why can't they beat Penrith too? Lack of good preparation, lack of commitment from the players, is my thought. I acknowledge the disruptions to the team... but the comprehensiveness of the flogging is a frightening indicator of how we might go if we do make the 8.

Maybe it was chaos theory kicking in once more... we were a bit off our game, they were well and truly on it. So we got pumped. I'm not accepting the performance as good enough, at the game I was soooo pissed off and frustrated. But the top teams don't have much separating them. Its a matter of having those few 'one percenters' going for you on the night.

greeneyed

First Grade
The team sat down in a team meeting and committed themselves to eachother on Monday.... what happened Thickos....??? I admire your desire to promote positivity... but where was the commitment to eachother in that game? We can excuse lack of attacking options... but what about the truly pathetic defensive efforts? Really bad? It doesn't look like a team that is committed to die for eachother to win the premiership to me. What the hell were they thinking?

I don't think it is the end of the season. But it soon will be if they think that degree of commitment to the team, to eachother, to the fans, is OK.

eelsta

Bench
Timbo said:
The final lines in the matchreport in the telegraph today were 'raiders coach Matthew Elliot was happy with his teams performance'.

#-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o #-o

omg he really is smiths clone :roll:

Raiders Rock

Juniors
greeneyed said:
The team sat down in a team meeting and committed themselves to eachother on Monday.... what happened Thickos....??? I admire your desire to promote positivity... but where was the commitment to eachother in that game? We can excuse lack of attacking options... but what about the truly pathetic defensive efforts? Really bad? It doesn't look like a team that is committed to die for eachother to win the premiership to me. What the hell were they thinking?

I don't think it is the end of the season. But it soon will be if they think that degree of commitment to the team, to eachother, to the fans, is OK.
I stood next to Thickos on Saturday during the game. There were a lot of pissed of Raiders supporters up there on the hill with us but every team is entitled to have an off-night now and again aren't they? One positive we identified was that this was the first flogging we've had in a few years so hopefully they'll get back on track against the Warriors next week.

I do agree that if we put in that level of performance again we'll really struggle to make the eight. Actually I think we'll struggle anyway but you'd hope we'll make it. What we can actually do if we make the eight is another story. How long has it been since we actually won a finals game??? Anybody know??

Tik

Juniors
One positive we identified was that this was the first flogging we've had in a few years so hopefully they'll get back on track against the Warriors next week.

....this is a positive???

Inconcistancy has been a common theme this year. The only teams to show concistancy have been the Roosters, Bulldogs and Broncos. We are only 4 points from 4th position and alot of you have lost the plot and asked for Elliots head. The Raiders overachieved last year and that was due purely to his coaching, somewhere along the last 3 years of his reign taking us from 11th in 2001 to 4th last year and a finals berth this year some of you have the gaul to ask for his head. Stop being ridiculous and just support your bloody team. We are no worse than any other team at the moment apart from the top 3 sides, so just be thankful we're not still the cellar dwellars we were when he took over.

thickos

First Grade
greeneyed said:

Agreed. I was one of the ones down on the fence ripping into them as they were watching another Panthers try get converted. Told them to pull their finger out, show some heart, etc. etc. I, like you, am at a loss to explain Saturday's performance, it was extremely disappointing as it undoes a lot of good work.

Personally I think it is comparable to the Roosters 35-0 win over the Dogs... the Dogs had a mountain of external pressure on them and they finally cracked. We had a mountain of INTERNAL pressure... maybe we gave way. I don't know. Still, no excuses.

One point I always made is if they had their skills and the passion of the fans they would be unbeatable!

Dazraider

Juniors
the warriors beat them last time but they had a change of coaches like souths and were fired up so i hope the raiders will fire and start carney to give him confidence

Latest posts