What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May 28 Comp Restart - Structure

siv

First Grade
May 28 to Dec 6 is 28 weeks

This is because of the 8 week mandatory RLPA CBA needs to occur for 2021 Feb 1 training restart

So remaining competitions rounds could look like

Minimum
  • 13 more rounds’s plus 4 finals 3 SOO standalone rep weekends = 20 weeks Oct 17 or Sep 27 GF
Normal
  • 23 more rounds plus 4 finals plus 1 SOO standalone rep weekend = 28 weekends Dec 6 GF
  • no Oz internationals
Conference model
  • 14 more rounds plus 4 finals plus 3 SOO standalone rep weekends = 21 weekends Oct 24 or Oct 3 GF
Scheduling of SOO to post season would mean early GF

You could schedule Oceania Cup games during SOO

But I can’t see the Kangaroo v England series going ahead unless it’s a shortened comp and England comes to NSW in shortened due to no money in international matches

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see them moving soo to three week series at end of year after the gf. That gives the nrl the best chance of making $50mill plus from ticket and corporate box sales.

Diesel

Referee
They’ve said if the Warriors can’t start by 28 May, they’ll play catch up games during the Origin period. That assumption means SoO will be mid-season

Reactions: siv

flippikat

Bench
f**k Origin. It ruins the actual competition for several months during a regular year. Put it at the end of the season and leave it there ongoing. Everyone will still play and they’ll make their money off it.

Run Origin over 3 weekends after the GF, at the same time a 3-match series of NZ vs Pacific Islands.

On the 4th week, winner of Origin plays winner of NZ vs Pacifica for the "Southern Cross Cup".

Oh, and as for tours/matches between Northern & Southern Hemisphere countries, or NZ V Australia or PNG v Fiji etc - have a 3 week window midyear when NRL and Superleague are stopped for internationals.

Set up a rolling roster of who plays who, year to year...

There you go.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
Run Origin over 3 weekends after the GF, at the same time a 3-match series of NZ vs Pacific Islands.

On the 4th week, winner of Origin plays winner of NZ vs Pacifica for the "Southern Cross Cup".

There you go.

Or Australia plays the winner

Spot On

Coach
f**k Origin. It ruins the actual competition for several months during a regular year. Put it at the end of the season and leave it there ongoing. Everyone will still play and they’ll make their money off it.

One more series win for NSW and the show is farked anyway. QLD will give up, won't watch anymore and will whinge that the losses were only due to the fact that Wally Lewis wasn't playing and the result would have been reversed if he was and that Cam... blah blah blah.

some11

Referee
One more series win for NSW and the show is farked anyway. QLD will give up, won't watch anymore and will whinge that the losses were only due to the fact that Wally Lewis wasn't playing and the result would have been reversed if he was and that Cam... blah blah blah.
What the f**k are you on about?

Origin is as big as ever, having it at the end of the season won't change anything.

Canard

Immortal

This is because of the 8 week mandatory RLPA CBA needs to occur for 2021 Feb 1 training restart

Minimum
  • 13 more rounds’s plus 4 finals 3 SOO standalone rep weekends = 20 weeks Oct 17 or Sep 27 GF
Normal
  • 23 more rounds plus 4 finals plus 1 SOO standalone rep weekend = 28 weekends Dec 6 GF
  • no Oz internationals
Conference model
  • 14 more rounds plus 4 finals plus 3 SOO standalone rep weekends = 21 weekends Oct 24 or Oct 3 GF

But I can’t see the Kangaroo v England series going ahead unless it’s a shortened comp and England comes to NSW in shortened due to no money in international matches

Surely things like mandatory 8 week periods are all scrapped/put aside in this environment.

Kangaroo tour is much more likely scrapped due to travel restrictions I would bet.

no name

Coach
Surely things like mandatory 8 week periods are all scrapped/put aside in this environment.

Kangaroo tour is much more likely scrapped due to travel restrictions I would bet.
Yeah, the tour ain’t happening.
I don’t reckon anyone will be leaving the country before 2021.

Diesel

Referee
The only international travel will be trans-Tasman, and even that is September at the earliest, anywhere else considered non-essential could be 18 months away

big hit!

Bench

Minimum
Normal
  • no Oz internationals
Conference model

how does a Dec 6 GF work with a rock hard SCG pitch centre. given the hoopla when terry antonis f**ked his knee on the edge of the centre in the A-league, i'd say there's a known risk, and the NRL could be liable if anything went wrong.

I like the grouping model (conferences are associations). good opportunity to say f**k it, let's see how this looks and pans out. top 2 from each group qualify automatically, then the next best 4 teams from either group for your 8.

South group
Melbourne
Warriors
Canberra
St George-Illawarra
Cronulla
Canterbury
Wests Tigers
Souths

North group
North Qld
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Manly
Penrith
Parramatta
Roosters

Diesel

Referee
how does a Dec 6 GF work with a rock hard SCG pitch centre. given the hoopla when terry antonis f**ked his knee on the edge of the centre in the A-league, i'd say there's a known risk, and the NRL could be liable if anything went wrong.

I like the grouping model (conferences are associations). good opportunity to say f**k it, let's see how this looks and pans out. top 2 from each group qualify automatically, then the next best 4 teams from either group for your 8.

South group
Melbourne
Warriors
Canberra
St George-Illawarra
Cronulla
Canterbury
Wests Tigers
Souths

North group
North Qld
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Newcastle
Manly
Penrith
Parramatta
Roosters
Any GF won’t be played at the SCG. If it’s in Sydney, I’d expect it to be BankWest

I agree with trying new things this season. We don’t know how conferences will work or effect the outcome of the competition but why not try it this year. The season is f**ked as it is unless we’re playing 20 weeks straight of footy before the finals hit.

siv

First Grade
Looks like Belmore and Leichhardt will be used heavily for the lockout games when we restart

Latest posts