What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mayweather Vs McGregor

Tommy Smith

Referee
McGregor would have got knocked out for sure.

Those punches might not be very powerful but they're well timed and another dozen of those shots that Floyd was landing with ease would have sent him to his ass for sure imo.

As for the fight, I still can't believe that Floyd was paying roughly $1.27. Should have been $1.0027 so it's the greatest gift from the bookies ever.

Respect to Connor though for looking no sillier and frankly, even better than mugs like Andre freaking Berto did in the ring with Floyd.

Danish

Referee

Those punches might not be very powerful but they're well timed and another dozen of those shots that Floyd was landing with ease would have sent him to his ass for sure imo.

As for the fight, I still can't believe that Floyd was paying roughly $1.27. Should have been $1.0027 so it's the greatest gift from the bookies ever.

Respect to Connor though for looking no sillier and frankly, even better than mugs like Andre freaking Berto did in the ring with Floyd.

Apparently there was over $100 million waged on the fight in vegas alone, with a healthy percentage of it placed on McGregor. Bookies made out like bandits on this fight.

A bloke from a sports betting agency was on a podcast I listen to on friday, and he said professional gamblers ranked the McGregor Mayweather fight as the surest bet in over 10 years, especially at the odds they were at in the last 1-2 days before the fight.

shiznit

Coach
Apparently there was over $100 million waged on the fight in vegas alone, with a healthy percentage of it placed on McGregor. Bookies made out like bandits on this fight.

A bloke from a sports betting agency was on a podcast I listen to on friday, and he said professional gamblers ranked the McGregor Mayweather fight as the surest bet in over 10 years, especially at the odds they were at in the last 1-2 days before the fight.
There was value on Conor early... i saw him early at 26/1... that's always worth throwing a lazy $20 on...

But when it started to go under 10/1 and then I think it eventually ended on 5 or 6/1 it was just crazy.

Danish

Referee
There was value on Conor early... i saw him early at 26/1... that's always worth throwing a lazy $20 on...

But when it started to go under 10/1 and then I think it eventually ended on 5 or 6/1 it was just crazy.

Mayweater ended up paying $1.25 by the day of the fight. There must have been people loading up $100K+ bets on him all day at those odds, especially since clearly enough drunken McGregor fans seemed to just keep piling on money for their man.

Would be interesting to see what the largest potential payout was on McGregor vs what the largest actual payout was on mayweather. I bet even with the crazy early odds, the mayweather single payout was still higher - just so many smaller bets on Mcgregor easily covered it

Frankus

Juniors

Floyd of 2 years ago was a different beast. Conor may have looked a little better but you have to remember Floyd was 2 years younger he was supper active, fighting once ever 4-6 months with fights against the likes of Cotto, Alvarez, Maidana x 2, and Pac.

2017 Floyd's speed, timing and movement were clearly nowhere near what they once were - ring rust or grandfather time but it was clear he was well and truly past prime but he still managed to walk down and methodically breakdown a bigger, taller and younger challenger with ease.

I dislike Floyd but he is f**king good.

shiznit

Coach
Would be interesting to see what the largest potential payout was on McGregor vs what the largest actual payout was on mayweather. I bet even with the crazy early odds, the mayweather single payout was still higher - just so many smaller bets on Mcgregor easily covered it
You would bloody hope so... surely no one would put any big bets on Conor

shiznit

Coach
Floyd of 2 years ago was a different beast. Conor may have looked a little better but you have to remember Floyd was 2 years younger he was supper active, fighting once ever 4-6 months with fights against the likes of Cotto, Alvarez, Maidana x 2, and Pac.

2017 Floyd's speed, timing and movement were clearly nowhere near what they once were - ring rust or grandfather time but it was clear he was well and truly past prime but he still managed to walk down and methodically breakdown a bigger, taller and younger challenger with ease.

I dislike Floyd but he is f**king good.
Don't get it twisted though... Your talking about Conor with only 2 of his weapons...

He's a completely different beast when he can use all his weapons...

if rolls were reversed... Floyd even in his prime wouldn't last beyond the first round...

shiznit

Coach
Are you a fan boy?
Ive been a big Conor fan for a long time... but I watch all combat sports from boxing to the MMA organisations to even abit of Glory and Lion Fight when I get an opportunity...

I respect all the combat sports...

If they fought in MMA and Conor won quickly... I'd say exactly the same thing about Floyd...

I'm just pointing it out as lot of casual fans who are uneducated about combat sports don't realise that what we saw from Conor in the ring was only a portion of what he's capable of...

You let him throw kicks, knees and elbows and it drastically changes the fight.

Danish

Referee
Mayweather would likely last about 30 seconds in an MMA fight with McGregor. He'd have absolutely zero take down defence, so Conor would have him on the ground and tapping out almost immediately.

I heard a good analysis of the fight today by Adam Carolla of all people. People forget that boxing is first and foremost a sport. It is not a fight. Too many (including me when this fight was originally announced) figured that because McGregor can clearly fight, he would also be able to box. In reality, boxing has little more in common with an actual fight than tennis or basketball does, and we were all stupid to entertain the notion that an absolute novice would have even a remote chance at defeating about the most skillful professional at his chosen sport.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Conor fanboys were calling me an idiot for not even entertaining that thought - that Conor might win.

I said to them that if this fight was to be played over 500 times, I'd still have to think very hard about whether McGregor would win even 1.

Tbh even in this scenario if my life was on ithe line I'd most likely back Mayweather to win all 500.

Frankus

Juniors
I'm twisting nothing. Conor knew what he was walking into. A boxing match. He had over a year to prepare for it and still gassed after 4 rounds. He's lucky he didn't get into the ring with a 2009 Pac or current GGG or Canelo all of which would walk him down, through his arm punches and straight up assault him. He would have been starched within 2 minutes.

Fair play to him though, he got paid more per round than he has ever been paid for a UFC fight.

shiznit

Coach
I'm twisting nothing. Conor knew what he was walking into. A boxing match. He had over a year to prepare for it and still gassed after 4 rounds. He's lucky he didn't get into the ring with a 2009 Pac or current GGG or Canelo all of which would walk him down, through his arm punches and straight up assault him. He would have been starched within 2 minutes.

Fair play to him though, he got paid more per round than he has ever been paid for a UFC fight.
Ohhh for sure... he knew what he was walking into...

What I think the problem was for the fans who actually gave him a chance they needed to appreciate that while it is certainly a very limited skillset compared to what he normally does...

There's a depth to it that he just can't possibly cover in time.

They just think because he knocks dudes out with his hands in MMA he can do it in boxing.

It's like arguing that a champion triathlete can compete in a road race against the best road cyclist of all time

Tommy Smith

Referee
That last paragraph is actually a great comparison.

I think Conor knew deep down he couldn't win; but why would you care for 100m?

He exceeded expectations in the ring so has come away super rich with his reputation well in tact.

That was the best case scenario.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
This is my opinion and not many may agree, but I think Connors power was over estimated. He has power in that left hand but I believe it's his timing that contributes more than his raw power.

I may be wrong of course but the way he knocked out Aldo was more through timing than straight raw power imo.

He was never going to knock Floyd stone cold dead with just one shot imo as I don't think he would gotten floyd's timing down well enough.

Last edited:

shiznit

Coach
This is my opinion and not many may agree, but I think Connors power was over estimated. He has power in that left hand but I believe it's his timing that contributes more than his raw power.

I may be wrong of course but the way he knocked out Aldo was more through timing than straight raw power imo.

He was never going to knock Floyd stone cold dead with just one shot imo as I don't think he would gotten clouds timing down well enough.
Yup... your spot on...

The interesting thing is Conor has himself said that...

after one of his fights they asked him about his power and he said "precision beats power and timing beats speed".

Latest posts