What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McCullough

George Sancti

Juniors
People keep glossing over that key fact. We’re yesterday’s heroes and 7 years of L-Plate coaches and dismal on field performance has seen as drop to cellar dwellers.
We won’t attract quality players until not only on field performance improves, but we also see some pride and ‘fun’ return to our squad. We’ve looked like a bunch of guys having to go to weekly funerals.
The fan base turned on the Club in recent years and walked away from membership and attending games. A lot of work still ahead of us...

You are correct Fame Thrower in that recovery to standard that will be acceptable to supporters is a work in progress and still has a considerable way to go. I am hopeful that in conjunction with the administrative, cultural and personnel improvements, which I believe are happening, we also see a strengthening of the business side of the operation.

The calm one

Juniors
There’s another possibility, Hook plans to release McInnes early & replace him with a cheaper option say $300k McCullough to free up some cap for a mid season signing.

Either way I don’t like it, McCullough is a busted over the hill veteran. We’d be lucky to get 8-10 games out of him.
Owen reckons McCulloch staying put

possm

Coach
Brisbane won't release McCullough if it means further subsidising his salary. His contract is up at the end of 2021. So without an available replacement, Griffin won't be replacing McInnes either and therefore looks like we will start the season with McInnes at hooker with the right edge forward position and the lock position still up in the air.

I'd be tempted to replace Frizell with Ravalawa for now and play Ford at lock however, Ravalawa has no experience playing in the forwards; same goes for Pereira.

There will be some players who have really nailed it during off-season training and some who have fallen short. Griffin and his staff would be the only ones who know where everyone stands and who are in contention for selection to positions 12 and 13. It seems that Bird will be selected as a utility on the bench and brought on slowly. So I imagine it will be Ford, Fuimaono, Lawrie and Merin fighting it out for the 12 and 13 spots.

Does anyone know how Merin is doing during this off-season?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I do love seeing post rationalisation after a purchase, but McInness really doesn’t offer all that much in attack.

And you win games by scoring more points than the other team, not by making more tackles than them.
Mate given our defensive issues last year McInnes is probably a perfect fit for us. I was a big fan of McCulloch a few years back but must be a bit of a risk at 31 coming off that terrible hamstring injury. This’ll be one of those signings that could turn out anywhere from a master stroke to a shit sandwich.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Mate given our defensive issues last year McInnes is probably a perfect fit for us. I was a big fan of McCulloch a few years back but must be a bit of a risk at 31 coming off that terrible hamstring injury. This’ll be one of those signings that could turn out anywhere from a master stroke to a shit sandwich.
Yeah I agree, it is definitely a gamble. I would be happy for a 2 year deal on average money but 3 years for 650 a season no thanks I hope that is a beat up. That is way too much salary cap to tie up on a player who may not even see out the year let alone 3. But as you say it could also work out to be a master stroke at the right price for the right length.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
So if McCulloch is a done deal is McInnes surplus to your needs? I really don’t see a fair player swap happening with the Sharks and our salary cap is screwed until ‘22. Billy Magoulis has been sounded out by you guys for a while but isn’t on enough coin. Thinking outside the square but Royce Hunt had a breakout year last year and is a Saints junior. You guys look a bit skinny for depth in the pigs imo.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
So if McCulloch is a done deal is McInnes surplus to your needs? I really don’t see a fair player swap happening with the Sharks and our salary cap is screwed until ‘22. Billy Magoulis has been sounded out by you guys for a while but isn’t on enough coin. Thinking outside the square but Royce Hunt had a breakout year last year and is a Saints junior. You guys look a bit skinny for depth in the pigs imo.
If we sign McCulloch, give us Rudolf & you can take McInness with his dodgy knee.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
If we sign McCulloch, give us Rudolf & you can take McInness with his dodgy knee.
Toby has come out in the last week saying he wants to be a long term Shark (despite having agreed to terms with the Warriors mid season).Given we have a couple of big boppers coming through I’d be ok with that.... but others wouldn’t. By the way Mus.... seems a bit contradictory that you’re happy to take on Birdy and even McCulloch given the injuries they’re coming off but are convinced that a guy that has only missed 3 games in the last 4 years is on his last legs.

Latest posts