What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGregor Appointed Full Time

jenninga

First Grade
For those that don't think it was right to appoint Mary - what would it take to change your mind? The easy answer is a premiership, but how long is a reasonable time to wait given the current squad, board and "playing structure"?

Give me one reason why Mary deserves this appointment.And don't tell me the players like him or they have done well since he took over because trhe Players liked Price and we haven't beaten any of the top6 sides ,where the Tigers and Parra have. Don't patronise supporters with a different view.
3 f*#king sh*t years is too many and yes the premiership is the benchmark,Half our team are Origin and Internationals so you'd expect improvement

Drop Bear

Juniors
Deals been done, no use wasting your energy on it any more.
I am looking forward to the Titans game and a win for the mighty Dragons.

george43

Juniors
Give me one reason why Mary deserves this appointment.And don't tell me the players like him or they have done well since he took over because trhe Players liked Price and we haven't beaten any of the top6 sides ,where the Tigers and Parra have. Don't patronise supporters with a different view.
3 f*#king sh*t years is too many and yes the premiership is the benchmark,Half our team are Origin and Internationals so you'd expect improvement

The club will go nowhere whilst ever Craig Young runs the show.Doust needs to stamp his authority over Young and start listening to independent thinkers and people who are not concerned with self interest. Nepotism leads nowhere.

hazzbeen

Bench
Quinlan should've been punted 4 games before he actually was and all the same people that are on here having an I LOVE MARY NIGHT were also saying how good the decision to play quinlan at fullback was .
SORRY BUT THIS CLUB IS F..KED ,while the in house appointments keep happening .

Anyone kidding themselves about our big IMPROVEMENT under Mcgregor needs to take a look at the sides that we can beat then look at the ones we cant beat and that will give the honest answer of where this team is at .

Your right buddy some people are happy with what ever win we can get.....thats how bad Price was.......... AS for Mary I hope he does well BUT......he has always been there assisting so make up your own mind.......

ebbedfred

Bench
We should be looking at the Penrith model...a strategic 5 year building plan with realistic expectations over that time. They didn't expect to win a premiership in the first year of rebuilding but have a programme with milestone achievements over that 5 year period. Thats how it should be done...Penrith are now reaping the rewards

So you think we should sign Mary for 5 years because it's part of the plan?

I say that tongue in cheek of course. 5 year plans are fine, but I don't think we should ever go into a game planning to lose, so why plan to lose a season? Of course you can't win every game or every season but if that's not your goal you're just there to make up the numbers. You think Penrith are ok with planning to win a comp in 3 years time? They should not have given up on this year yet.

Unless people see drastic improvement each year for the next few years they will call for Mary's head. Improvement will be determined on where we are on the ladder. That's the way I see it anyway.

GT0007

Juniors
Were is it clear the players have responded to him? They aren't playing any better against the better teams?

They actually are playing better and it shows as we have only lost by 16pts or more once under Mary as opposed to 5 times under Price. We got beat 36-0 against Parra! We lost 7 from 8 with Price and won 6/11 with Mary. Of course we want to do better but how can anyone honestly say we have not improved? Our differential is 101pts better under Mary as well.

GT0007

Juniors
For those that don't think it was right to appoint Mary - what would it take to change your mind? The easy answer is a premiership, but how long is a reasonable time to wait given the current squad, board and "playing structure"?

I heard Bennett say he shouldve had the Knights performing at their best in his 3rd year. When he took over the Dragons we had a pretty good roster and just took some tweaking with the additions of Smith etc. From that perspective I think it depends on what players become available to recruit over the next year or 2 and signing rejects probably won't help our cause. If the right men aren't available then it could be a tough couple of years no matter who the coach. We definitely need 1 or 2 forwards before we are a top 4 side

rainman44

Bench
They actually are playing better and it shows as we have only lost by 16pts or more once under Mary as opposed to 5 times under Price. We got beat 36-0 against Parra! We lost 7 from 8 with Price and won 6/11 with Mary. Of course we want to do better but how can anyone honestly say we have not improved? Our differential is 101pts better under Mary as well.
You are comparing Mary and Price so its not hard for Mary to be a better choice, dont worry about stats most of Marys wins were in the origin period, he has not shown us anything that has me thinking he is going to be a good coach. Oh well he is our coach but i am not happy.

Gomarchin

Juniors
What I hate about the post Bennett era and the appointment of Mary as our coach for 3 years is the lowering of our standards. The club is run by dinosaurs that believe winning a premiership once every 30 years = success.

dragonreddy

Juniors
What I hate about the post Bennett era and the appointment of Mary as our coach for 3 years is the lowering of our standards. The club is run by dinosaurs that believe winning a premiership once every 30 years = success.

YES, once Bennett left ,its like everyone at the club heaved a big sigh of relief and reverted back to the same way they did things before Bennett was appointed.

Ironically the whole reason Bennett was bought in was to CHANGE things for the better, funnily enough the saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks, comes to mind with regards to the clowns running the STGI circus.

dragonreddy

Juniors
Your right buddy some people are happy with what ever win we can get.....thats how bad Price was.......... AS for Mary I hope he does well BUT......he has always been there assisting so make up your own mind.......

Mary was always going to be appointed,but as you say was part of the staff for the first part of the season, as much as he says he only has the club at heart ,you've got to wonder how much undermining he did as assistant behind the scenes ,and then came in and bullshitted by saying he didn't want the coaches job, when it was already a done deal by the looks of it.

Hiding behind the guise of having a successful business and he didn't really need the job was another smoke screen ,if it was that successful why would he bothered with coaching.

Even on his no doubt low coaches salary it would still be very lucrative for him, he was in for this right from the get go.

stg666

Juniors
glad i don't live in iraq . lifes great and go the dragons , whoever is coach, club boss or ball boys.:D

God-King Dean

Immortal
Enjoy mediocrity?

Like watching your club repeat the same mistakes?

Despise criticism?

Take anything your given?

Pat yourself on the back?

Snub your nose, & tell everyone how much better of a supporter you are then others?

You must be a
TRUE FAN!

karuah6

Juniors
Enjoy mediocrity?

Like watching your club repeat the same mistakes?

Despise criticism?

Take anything your given?

Pat yourself on the back?

Snub your nose, & tell everyone how much better of a supporter you are then others?

You must be a
TRUE FAN!

Well it certainly appears that you are not a true fan or are you posting rubbish just for the sake of it

rainman44

Bench
Well it certainly appears that you are not a true fan or are you posting rubbish just for the sake of it
What he is saying is we dont have to agree with our clubs decision of having another bloke who is wet behind the ears to be good supporters.

GT0007

Juniors
You are comparing Mary and Price so its not hard for Mary to be a better choice, dont worry about stats most of Marys wins were in the origin period, he has not shown us anything that has me thinking he is going to be a good coach. Oh well he is our coach but i am not happy.

I'm commenting on a few posts that said we haven't improved under Mary. I wasnt the one who compared them I just responded. To compare them is rediculous in itself but to suggest we have not improved under Mary is absolute rubbish! I also take exception to so called supporters who make excuses for the other team when we win and the same people bag us and don't afford us the same latitude when we lose. Talk about the team having a lack of spirit. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and entitled have a whinge this week but then lets us move on and support the team and coach as most of us don't want to read the same negative crap every week. Hang him after he fails not before, I made that mistake when he was made caretaker but clearly with the changes he's made he didn't have full say as attacking coach and was giving Price what ue wanted.