What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McGuire Gone

Clem Gould

Juniors
They just need to do the coach swap now, immense pressure on sea bold...taking over from Uncle Wayne. He has a season or they’ll chop him.
As a Cowboy i am not overly concerned about the shambles involving the two clubs but have followed both clubs in the past. What a bloody mess !

MILEY CYRUS

Juniors
Glenn and Kahu would be no loss. Glenn's first season was his best. Downhill ever since. Kahu is just a fill in. Drain the swamp.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
It sounds like McGuire wasn't considered a big part of the future plans, so when the Cowboys expressed interest, the Broncos were happy to do Josh a favour and let him take the deal.

It's a definitely a short term blow for the Broncos, but the staleness of the team was becoming a concern and McGuire was coming off a disappointing season.

The club will definitely miss him in the interim. I'm not sure how others see it, but I can see a scenario where the pack looks like:

8. Matt Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Joe Ofahengaue
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Jr

14. Jaydn Su'A
15. Patrick Mago
16. David Fifita
17. Payne Haas

Or something to that extent. I can see it being a mess to begin with and fans won't be happy but when players like Carrigan & Flegler come of age it won't seem like that big a deal.

The positive is that the movie indicates that Pangai Jr could be staying. According to Chris Garry who has interviewed TPJ on numerous occassions, he's of the opinion TPJ is only signing a short-term deal due to management issues. After he's through with the one year deal, he'll re-sign for a longer deal.

The club is also looking to extend David Fifita early so they don't have to worry about all the headaches in the 2019/2020 off-season.

It's a real pity to be losing a loyal club servant like Josh. There were times where he seemed destined to be a 'good' club player, but then he'd pull off something amazing. The break he made in Origin II 2017 was a huge turning point for that series. He spoke a big game, and then he delivered.

Great post!

I think it's a good move by Brisbane as McGuire is now on the downhill slope I believe. He isn't good value for money under the salary cap. It also opens up the Lock spot for TPJ, which I think will be his best position.

I hope the rumours of Glenn to titans aren't true, as that will make us too inexperienced.

In your team I would swap Su'a and Glenn. Not because I don't think Glenn is capable of starting, but because we need to include some experience on the bench.

Big Pete

Referee
Great post!

I think it's a good move by Brisbane as McGuire is now on the downhill slope I believe. He isn't good value for money under the salary cap. It also opens up the Lock spot for TPJ, which I think will be his best position.

I hope the rumours of Glenn to titans aren't true, as that will make us too inexperienced.

In your team I would swap Su'a and Glenn. Not because I don't think Glenn is capable of starting, but because we need to include some experience on the bench.

I'd prefer the Su'A and Glenn swap as well, but it's just one of those teething issues I think will happen. That's provided Glenn stays of course.

Also I wouldn't be overly surprised if Tagataese comes onto the bench for Mago or one of the rookies for that reason. Personally I think experience is overrated, especially when the players in question aren't known for being technically proficient players. Glenn's defence is sub-par and Tagataese isn't the most mobile or fittest middle going around.

Latest posts