What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mciness to Lock?

mickeylane

Bench
read w great interest this morning that Mciness has also been training at lock during pre season.

I wonder what everyone thinks of this option - I actually find it quite innovative considering his exceptional ability to complete tackles at a rate of 99% and his extraordinary fitness levels .

Obviously the potential of a spine during a game featuring
Dufty
Widdop
Norman
Hunt

Is on the cards.. thoughts?

possm

Coach
In the hooker/lock rotation there may be opportunities to give both Robson and McInnes some time at lock however, in my view it should be a very limited time at that. This spell at lock would be a great time to introduce some variations in attack and defence.

I'm sure Robson will want to match McInnes's defensive stats and McInnes will want to show is attacking skills as well so, as far as I'm concerned, bring it on.

possm

Coach
read w great interest this morning that Mciness has also been training at lock during pre season.

I wonder what everyone thinks of this option - I actually find it quite innovative considering his exceptional ability to complete tackles at a rate of 99% and his extraordinary fitness levels .

Dufty
Widdop
Norman
Hunt

Widdop will be at fullback and Norman at 6. Dufty will spend most of 2019 in the ISP fullback role.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
McInnes is training at lock to give Robson his chance at hooker. They'll most likely be sharing minutes this year, with Robson coming on and McInnes shifting to accomodate him.

It's also a contingency plan if the De Belin situation goes pear shaped.

For the record, I don't necessarily agree with McInnes shifting to lock. IMO it should always be a genuine forward in that position, you don't want to lose any potency or aggression in attack and defense. McInnes should just get the spell on the bench and we should be looking at Lawrie or Friz to cover lock if needed.

BLM01

First Grade
McInnes is training at lock to give Robson his chance at hooker. They'll most likely be sharing minutes this year, with Robson coming on and McInnes shifting to accomodate him.

For the record, I don't necessarily agree with McInnes shifting to lock. IMO it should always be a genuine forward in that position, you don't want to lose any potency or aggression in attack and defense. McInnes should just get the spell on the bench and we should be looking at Lawrie or Friz to cover lock if needed.
I Think this comment is closer to the mark.
They all train in different positions in off season training anuway..that is what it is for to vary, mix it up for worst case scenarios etc...except that Mary is too scared to shuffle things up come game time as he is too rigid in his game plans and interchange rituals and falls back onto what he knows and trusts if things go a bit pear shaped on game day rather than innovate
But come the serious stuff Mary will not forego his No 1 hooking option. That should be just shared between him & Robson.
Just wait to see if we lose the 1st few games. He will bring back last years side bringing Flo out of retirement, and bring back the power and roll forward game....best completion and low error rate games..as he continues to panic.

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Yep, agree with this.
Seems a lot of training has been directed at alternate positioning, such as Widdop and Noman training at both f/b and 5/8.
In saying that, I wonder more where young Robbo has been training at. Maybe he has been training at an alternate position as well. Being less of a high profile we dont get info on all players.......thanks to our brilliant marketing and admin team.

Training in different positions is not a new concept, as it helps keep the monotony of training fresh and interesting. It also now, helps in reducing fatigue and with interchanges.

The only thing i hope i dont hear/see is James Graham training at half, but who knows, we are talking about McGregor here.

watatank

Coach
Paul McGregor yet to decide what to do with Corey Norman and Gareth Widdop

Paul McGregor still has not decided if it will be Corey Norman or Gareth Widdop partnering Ben Hunt in the St George Illawarra halves this year, or who will be switching to fullback.

But rather than see it as a problem he needs to solve ASAP, McGregor plans to use it as his X-factor in 2019.

There is no doubt when Widdop suffered his shoulder injury late last year the Dragons’ title charge took a massive hit.

But that is exactly why McGregor has used the weeks since Norman’s arrival to train every member of his spine in different positions.

“Without a doubt, it has been a problem for me the last three years,” McGregor said.

“When Gareth has been injured at different stages, which he has been injured nearly every year, we just haven’t had the quality of depth to cover that, or the experience.

“But the beauty of what I have now is that collectively they all might be on the field at the same time.

“We have been fortunate enough to train for the unexpected, or the expected you could say, that comes during the season.

“We have real quality and depth in all positions and experience and versatility to interchange between positions in games. That is the truth of it.”

It has seen Norman and Widdop switch between five-eighth and fullback while also teaming up in the halves, allowing Hunt to train at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock.

McGregor said he had also not ruled out keeping Matt Dufty in his top 17, or potentially starting him.

“He is definitely a part of what we need in 2019 and beyond,” McGregor said.

“I have already spoken to Duff that we want him as a longterm player.

“I am off contract this year so that is not entirely my decision.

“But I genuinely want Matt if I am coach going forward at the club beyond ‘19.

“They are all getting their fair share of time and I want to have a look at them in the trials.

“We are four weeks away from a trial and seven weeks away from the comp.

“I will not make a decision before I need to.”

McGregor also praised Norman’s attitude since the switch.

“He has been fantastic,” McGregor said. “He is refreshing to have around. He is always up.

“I think he found it a little bit challenging when he first got here.

“Any change is challenging, he is no different. But I feel the last fortnight, probably the last week actually, he is starting to really take hold of what he needs to do for the footy team.

“In every respect, it is a rounded sort of approach. His performance in conditioning is much improved from when he got here.

“His knowledge of our team structures and systems is coming to him more naturally. He has clarity around that.

“And he is becoming more boisterous in the approach that he is getting more confident within the playing group that he can talk more.

“It is not one thing that he has done better. He is actually improving in the gym.

“I know that he is not that keen on it but he is approaching it with a feeling that we get our confidence through our preparation and he is attacking that well.”

possm

Coach
Also gives options for Hunt to slot in there for our attack , Mary has plenty of options and needs to adapt and change for each opposition .... Its a good situation to be in , if he can use this to our advantage .... Time will tell ....
Hunt can jump into dummy half at anytime if he sees an opportunity or if is part of a game plan. There is absolutely no need to have him at hooker in the middle getting battered in defence/attack.

watatank

Coach
It's about having options, that's fine.

I think McInnes playing lock is the way McGregor keeps Dufty in the 17. Have Dufty play off the bench and then when the time comes, move Norman/Widdop to the halves, Hunt to hooker and McInnes to lock.

This could be a way to fit Robson in but I think that's more of a plan B or plan C rather than first option. I don't know if he is favoured at all.

possm

Coach
It's about having options, that's fine.

I think McInnes playing lock is the way McGregor keeps Dufty in the 17. Have Dufty play off the bench and then when the time comes, move Norman/Widdop to the halves, Hunt to hooker and McInnes to lock.

This could be a way to fit Robson in but I think that's more of a plan B or plan C rather than first option. I don't know if he is favoured at all.

The more traditional/conservative selection would be Robson at 14 and Dufty in ISP waiting for a chance at fullback in first grade showing the fans and coaching staff how he has improved his skills.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Paul McGregor yet to decide what to do with Corey Norman and Gareth Widdop

Paul McGregor still has not decided if it will be Corey Norman or Gareth Widdop partnering Ben Hunt in the St George Illawarra halves this year, or who will be switching to fullback.

But rather than see it as a problem he needs to solve ASAP, McGregor plans to use it as his X-factor in 2019.

There is no doubt when Widdop suffered his shoulder injury late last year the Dragons’ title charge took a massive hit.

But that is exactly why McGregor has used the weeks since Norman’s arrival to train every member of his spine in different positions.

“Without a doubt, it has been a problem for me the last three years,” McGregor said.

“When Gareth has been injured at different stages, which he has been injured nearly every year, we just haven’t had the quality of depth to cover that, or the experience.

“But the beauty of what I have now is that collectively they all might be on the field at the same time.

“We have been fortunate enough to train for the unexpected, or the expected you could say, that comes during the season.

“We have real quality and depth in all positions and experience and versatility to interchange between positions in games. That is the truth of it.”

It has seen Norman and Widdop switch between five-eighth and fullback while also teaming up in the halves, allowing Hunt to train at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock.

McGregor said he had also not ruled out keeping Matt Dufty in his top 17, or potentially starting him.

“He is definitely a part of what we need in 2019 and beyond,” McGregor said.

“I have already spoken to Duff that we want him as a longterm player.

“I am off contract this year so that is not entirely my decision.

“But I genuinely want Matt if I am coach going forward at the club beyond ‘19.

“They are all getting their fair share of time and I want to have a look at them in the trials.

“We are four weeks away from a trial and seven weeks away from the comp.

“I will not make a decision before I need to.”

McGregor also praised Norman’s attitude since the switch.

“He has been fantastic,” McGregor said. “He is refreshing to have around. He is always up.

“I think he found it a little bit challenging when he first got here.

“Any change is challenging, he is no different. But I feel the last fortnight, probably the last week actually, he is starting to really take hold of what he needs to do for the footy team.

“In every respect, it is a rounded sort of approach. His performance in conditioning is much improved from when he got here.

“His knowledge of our team structures and systems is coming to him more naturally. He has clarity around that.

“And he is becoming more boisterous in the approach that he is getting more confident within the playing group that he can talk more.

“It is not one thing that he has done better. He is actually improving in the gym.

“I know that he is not that keen on it but he is approaching it with a feeling that we get our confidence through our preparation and he is attacking that well.”

Interesting piece.
My 2 take aways from this are:

1. McGregor wants Dufty in the 17.
2. Norman came to the Dragons very underdone and was/is not fit.

Something tells me Norman will be from the bench initially with Dufty at F/b or visa-versa as the article did mention the word X-factor.

hazzbeen

Bench
Hunt can jump into dummy half at anytime if he sees an opportunity or if is part of a game plan. There is absolutely no need to have him at hooker in the middle getting battered in defence/attack.
I said be able to use him in attack , not to be battered as you say .... And it will happen he will slot into dummy half when the opportunity happens .....

DragonJ

Juniors

Dufty
Widdop
Norman
Hunt

No. It's a way to fit Robson into the 17 without wasting an interchange on the 80min player McInnes is.

If there is one department we are not lacking in, it's No.9. Talk of moving Ben Hunt to No.9 is ridiculous. For the QLD team whose new best No.9 is that McSomething slug from the Donkeys, it's perfectly logical. For us, the Donkeys McSomething would be our 3rd best No.9.

BLM01

First Grade
Interesting piece.
My 2 take aways from this are:

1. McGregor wants Dufty in the 17.
2. Norman came to the Dragons very underdone and was/is not fit.

Something tells me Norman will be from the bench initially with Dufty at F/b or visa-versa as the article did mention the word X-factor.
My take from Day 1. Norman to 14..to eventually slide in to a perm halve position once we assess early season form...if all fire and no injuries..we stay that way. Robson or Luciano also on bench. 2 other big forwards Lawrie & Graham the other bench spots. And Robson / McInnes can play 13 if need.
1 person who probably should be in the 17 has to miss out...will it be JDB or if innocent who? Robson buying his time again?

possm

Coach
My take from Day 1. Norman to 14..to eventually slide in to a perm halve position once we assess early season form...if all fire and no injuries..we stay that way. Robson also on bench to help McIness. 2 big forwards Lawrie & Graham the other bench spots. And Robson / McInnes can play 13 if need.

I'd say we need four forwards on the bench including Robson at 14. Two props, one backrower and Robson in the hooker rotation.

If our fitness and coaching staff cannot get Norman fit during a full off-season, then they're not worth a pinch of salt. He will be fit and ready to play five-eighth in round 1. Widdop will play fullback and Robson will be in the 14 jumper.

Old Timer

Coach
Mc Innes to lock is a dumb move IMO
If JDB is absent then you need another big body to replace him
We suffered injuries up front the last 2 seasons so by making your forward pack smaller you increase that risk especially with the style of footy we play.
Hunt should only be the half and Mc Innes and Robson the hookers and they either fight it out during the season to see who will be the 80 minute player or Mc Fookknuckle comes up with a decent bench plan where Robson relieves Mc Innes.
Any other notions are a recipe for disaster IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts