What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McKendry Suspended

no name

Coach
http://m.nrl.com/mckendry-to-miss-one-week/tabid/10874/newsid/95063/default.aspx

Penrith Panthers prop Sam McKendry has been found guilty of a grade one contrary conduct – contact with match official charge and will miss the club's clash with the Cronulla Sharks on Sunday.

The incident occurred in the 71st minute of the Panthers' win over the Roosters last Monday night, when McKendry came into contact with referee Jared Maxwell while protesting a forward pass which denied Penrith a try.

It took panellists Shaun Garlick, Mal Cochrane, Don McKinnon just 10 minutes to find McKendry guilty, with his one-week suspension also carrying an additional 91 carryover points.

Judicial council Peter McGrath successfully argued that McKendry's role in disputing Maxwell's decision was not his responsibility and this was evident in his pursuit of the official – where contact could have been avoided.

Defence council Leo Premutico argued then that McKendry's hand was raised prior to coming into contact with Maxwell and was accidental rather than careless. Moreover, he argued the Kiwi international did not purposely grab at or touch the official.

McKendry spoke briefly during the hearing and said he was "talking with his hand" rather than trying to come into contact with Maxwell.

A displeased Panthers coach Anthony Griffin spoke after the decision was handed down and suggested a precedent has now been set moving forward in regards to coming into contact with the officials.

"I don't think anyone watching the game would have sat up in their lounge chair and thought that Sam McKendry had acted contrary to the conduct of the game, which is what he was charged with," Griffin said.

"But we respect the fact you can't touch a referee so there's a precedent there. I expect there's going to be a lot more charges particularly with two referees on the field and the way things have happened over the last five to six weeks.

"It is a big call to miss a match but we'll respect the decision and we'll move on."

Obviously a different bunch of blokes to who Klemmer got.

thorson1987

Coach
Yet a few weeks ago this didn't even warrant a charge.

13055469_10153407653946604_7080071018171906454_n.jpg

McLovin

Staff member
No surprises... You know certain players have different rule books...

beave

Coach
That pic is utter bullshit. You can clearly see Klein initiate contact with JT

cleary89

Coach
it's a stupid rule and they've completed cornered themselves with it.

I think its a good rule and hopefully it will be enforced until players get the message (agree it hasn't been so far this year).

Would hate to see us go like soccer with the way the carry on abusing and grabbing refs after a call.

no name

Coach
I'm happy with him being suspended, but how did Klemmer get off?

If they suspended Klemmer straight up every player would know you can't do it. What we have now is a lottery, and that's only if the MRC pick it up.

Exsilium

First Grade
It highlights how flawed the judicial system is. They set the precedent yet don't follow it.

It's just like the Tim Simona "crusher" which was followed up with multiple other charges against other players but none were found guilty.

It's as if they had to be productive this week and ban someone to prevent any scrutiny. Wouldn't be surprised if the match review committee had KPI's to cite as many incidents as possible to add value to the process and prove they add substance to the game.

Like Matt Scotts great tackle that was called a shoulder charge....

f**king cheats.

some11

Referee
"Crackdowns" usually don't see out the season.

Expect to see plenty more of this without charge later in the season, along with tripping which seems to have been deemed A-ok.

STORM.99/07

Bench
I would suspend klown from reffing for 12 weeks for initiating contact with JT. I suppose he just wanted his brush with fame.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
I think its a good rule and hopefully it will be enforced until players get the message (agree it hasn't been so far this year).

Would hate to see us go like soccer with the way the carry on abusing and grabbing refs after a call.

I like the idea behind it but unless you plan on policing every single person with the same rules, it is pointless. Its actually sending a worse message than it would if they didnt bring in the rule - dont touch the ref unless you're someone important in the game, in which case the silence will be defeaning.

simmo1

First Grade
Judiciary again showing they have different sets of rules for different players.

Cult3

Juniors
I find it hilarious that Thurston is being chastised, meanwhile Klemmer got no punishment either and everyone is ok with that.

Diesel

Referee
This rule will be like so many other inconsistencies in the game. Refs point of view, judiciary, video ref. Whatever they decide it needs to be consistent, problem is they don't know how to be.