What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

McManus Try

imasharkie

Coach
I'd like an opinion on the try scored by McManus v Broncs.
He caught the ball with one foot in the in goal.
Does that constitute a 20mtr restart?

johns_reds

First Grade
Didn't look that close at it, but if that happened then yeah it should be 20m restart, never heard of advantage before

MightySharks

Bench
Absolutely he had one foot in goal when he caught it, I noticed it straight away.
How did no one pick it up?

DeeJ

Bench
They should implement the advantage rule in the game anyway. Keeps things flowing and exciting. Although I imagine there will be times where it will be hard to distinguish whether the player is going to take advantage or trying to get to the 20m quickly for the quick tap.

Danish

Referee
I didn't notice it tbh, but there is no advantage allowed when you catch the ball ingoal. So if he did, it should have been pulled back for a 20m restart.

I know its only 1 foot required these days, but for the historian types has it always been that way? I feel like 5-10 years ago you had to have 2 feet in

God-King Dean

Immortal
It should have been to the letter of the law, but I personally have no problem with an advantage in that kind of scenario.

Kiwi

First Grade
Fair try to be honest, rule book says 20m tap, but I reckon the kicker should have the option of the tap or run.

user_nat

Coach
If it were up to the catcher, how would you determine if he was going for a run up the field or just sprinting to the 20m line?

If he was just running to the 20m line and gets tackled, would that be a penalty?

Obviously in last nights case he wasn't running towards the middle of the field, but it isn't always going to be that straight forward.

Danish

Referee
You couldn't have advantage, it would lead to too much confusion.

The only thing you could do is change the rule so that the defender has to call for a mark or fair catch before contesting. A hand signal would probably be easiest.

Burwood

Bench
Absolutely he had one foot in goal when he caught it, I noticed it straight away.
How did no one pick it up?

Because it never happened?

1778998.jpg

Cheops

Juniors
That pic is deceiving as he juggled the ball. He definitely had a foot in goal when he first touched the ball but was out by the time he actually caught it. Not sure what the rule is on that?