What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Med Cup Results

yakstorm

First Grade
The two favourites for the Rugby League Mediterranean Cup displayed their credentials with crushing victories to open the week long international tournament.

Hosts and holders Lebanon smashed through the hundred-point barrier against an outclassed Serbia & Montenegro side, eventually running up a 102-0 scoreline, while France overcame initially stiff Moroccan resistance to rack up a 72-0 triumph in Tripoli’s International Stadium.

Pia halfback Maxime Greseque was on top form as he dominated play for France, bagging three breakaway tries and as many goals for a personal haul of 18-points. Wing Michael Van Snick opened the scoring in the fifth minute to start a procession of French tries, joining wing partner Henri Marot and substitute Sebastian Azema on two tries.

France’s Saturday showdown with Lebanon promises to be a titanic clash as they seek to avenge last year’s 36-6 cup defeat in Tripoli.

Lebanon captain Anthony Semrani led the team with an inspired performance from hooker, scoring three tries while Samer El Masri compiled 34 points in the 18 try massacre of the plucky Serbs.

Domestic championship products Sami Halabi, Anthony Letayf, Jihad Ashkar and Hassan Taha all made their debuts for Lebanon in a historic day for the sport.

Bartercard Cedars centre Andrew Abou Nader and halfback Anthony Farrah had stand out performances in a stellar all-round team performance.

FRANCE CHANTICLEERS 72
Tries: Greseque 3, Van Snick 2, Marot 2, Azema 2, Terrado, Rorira, Estebanez, Fellous.
Goals: Frayssinous 5/6, Greseque 3/4, Terrado 2/3
defeated MOROCCO

LEBANON CEDARS 102
Tries: Semrani 3, Azzi 2, Anthony Farrah 2, Charlie Farrah 2, Azam 2, Saab, Nohra, Samer El Masri, Younan, Abou Nader, Wissam El Masri, Touma.
Goals: Samer El Masri 15/18
defeated SERBIA AND MONTENEGRO 0

dimitri

First Grade
lebanon and france continu to come on in leaps and bounds

whilst morocco and serbia certainl need much more experience and more tests

JasonE

Bench
I studied both French squads for the Med Cup and the clash v Australia and they now have about 25 decent players which is much better than they had 10 years ago, at full strength they will be competitive in the Euro Nations Cup

In-goal

Bench
I quite like the look of the French players ATM, the problem is the French Onion probably agrees with me and will be knocking on doors very soon.

dimitri said:
lebanon and france continu to come on in leaps and bounds

whilst morocco and serbia certainl need much more experience and more tests

They don't need more experience, they need bigger playing bases to pick from - Serbia have only the six clubs and a little over 100 players in the entire country still.

You need to do a lot of work at the grassroots before work at the top level is going to make any difference.

In-goal

Bench
before serbia will look like doing anything they will need to have more than 50 clubs i would think, and of that half a dozen would need to be semi-pro.

Simply unless your involved in atleast semi pro Rugby you are not going to cut the grade.

In-goal

Bench
To the last post i think a few of them maybe in that boat but there are a few that play in Morroco.

Bunny Boy

Juniors
Bad luck to the lads, I knwo they will be bitterly dissapointed, but playing Lebanon is a good test for them.

I really hope they can come out for the Sevens next year and maybe some of us Aussie based Serbs can strap up for them.

bazza

Referee
Is the next match a final between Lebanon and France?

Will Morroco and Serbia play of for 3rd?

ouwet

Bench
Lebanon has beaten Morocco by 60-0 in the second round of the Med Cup played in Beirut lebanon (First ever game of RL IN Bieurt). In the earlier game France beat Serbia by a massive 120-0. It sets up a great encounter beaten Lebanon And France in the final that will be played over the weekend in Tripoli with official expecting a crowd of between 5-10 thousand to turn up. The great news is the game was shown LIVE in Prime Time right across Lebanon by LBC (most popular Lebanese channel). The crowd was a couple of thousand with many more watching it from there balconies.

El Masri was the star scoring 3 tries and converting 10 goals. For France Centre Fabrice Esabanez scored TEN tries and scrum-half Maxime Greseque touched down for four tries as France ran in 22 tries with 16 conversions.

France should win the final but it will be a great game... I cant wait.

hgfds

Juniors
Pity serbia couldnt get any aussie based players,there surely must be enough of them to get a 7s team going and serbia must now realize they need them.Maybe the nrl could help them by advertising for serb players.

Latest posts