What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medal Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Boon

Coach
In swimming I think we were only one short of a really good meet. Campbell was the only real favourite that fully choked. I believe the others, if we were favourites, was just our tendency to inflate our own abilities.
In rowing the same the mens 4 should have won. But we were only one short.
Not sure if we had any real favourites in the cycling.
The teams stank it up.

Shorty

Staff member
Yep exactly.
World's shouldn't really be a strong judge of performance either, its like the minor premiership.
And its VERY common for the world's champions to be beaten in the games but they fail to mention that.

Pommy

Coach
Heard a few people mention in passing that GB are where they are because of Cycling. Turns out we've won medals in more sports than any other nation at the games. Something like 14 to USA and Germanys 9.

Danish

Referee
In swimming I think we were only one short of a really good meet. Campbell was the only real favourite that fully choked. I believe the others, if we were favourites, was just our tendency to inflate our own abilities.
In rowing the same the mens 4 should have won. But we were only one short.
Not sure if we had any real favourites in the cycling.
The teams stank it up.

As I said, it's not necessarily the gold medals that we haven't won that piss me off. It's the silvers and bronzes that showed our swimmers who by rights should have at least been in the hunt that didn't even get near.

We missed maybe 2-3 golds in the pool, and another 4-5 medals. It was a woeful meet.

On top of which, we are one of maybe 5 nations that treats swimming as a top tier sport. It's absolutely our highest funded event, and yet our team has gone severely backwards over the last 3 Olympics compared to the 20 years prior.

For how much money, sponsorship dollars, and media attention the swimming team eat up the need to be putting more runs on the board than what they do

Shorty

Staff member
Heard a few people mention in passing that GB are where they are because of Cycling. Turns out we've won medals in more sports than any other nation at the games. Something like 14 to USA and Germanys 9.
Not at all, cycling certainly helps but the Brits have been winning everything.
That's why I think they can challenge USA if they can keep it up for a few more olympics.

Evil Homer

Staff member
None of your Aussie chokers can compare to Tom Daley, new Olympic record and destroyed the Chinese divers in qualifying and then finished dead last in the semi final.

T-Boon

Coach
Another major final another shootout. WTF is the deal? Does defence dominate the strikers too much in the game these days?

Pommy

Coach
One more medal required for us to be the first ever hosts to win more medals in the subsequent games. So close but I'm not sure if we've got anymore hopefuls.

Tommy Smith

Referee
There it is!

And to think that after just two days I read an article on foxsports by an Aussie suggesting that things weren't going to plan for us after Froome crashed out of the road race.

After just two days the Aussies were trying to lay the boot into us; suggesting that Australia might outperform us! :D

Shorty

Staff member
We theoretically should never out perform the Brits because the Brits should be on the level of the super nations and now they are.
I couldn't be happier for you guys, I hate Poms in sport but as a nation they're awesome, unlike the cesspool that is the USA or China.

Pommy

Coach
We theoretically should never out perform the Brits because the Brits should be on the level of the super nations and now they are.
I couldn't be happier for you guys, I hate Poms in sport but as a nation they're awesome, unlike the cesspool that is the USA or China.

I would be More than happy to see Australia win every event if GB weren't in it, silver if they were. I wouldn't say that to the guys at work obviously but I love this country and love the fact it punches well above its weight.
but I think in the top ten there's only Aus, Korea and Italy with smaller populations than the UK.
It's just sad we've got another 4 years to wait now.

Status
Not open for further replies.