What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media Conference

tresurehunt

Juniors
im kinda thinking that kearny wont say it but this team he has got now is crap, his future team is just around the corner,look for a mass purchase of players i reckon ,maybe 4 or 5 ...

Maroubra Eel

Coach
im kinda thinking that kearny wont say it but this team he has got now is crap, his future team is just around the corner,look for a mass purchase of players i reckon ,maybe 4 or 5 ...

The team is fine. Last year we said all we need is a good halfback and good centres. We've now got that. Next year we will have some new excuses no doubt.

Tooooks

Bench

We'll soon find ourselves with the same problems we had in the bad old days (late 80s, early to mid 90s) - struggling to attract any quality players due to our extreme shiteness.

Someone like Tony Williams (supposedly one of our top priorities) won't be short of offers. Why would he - or anyone else - want to come here unless we offer way more money than other clubs?

Maroubra Eel also makes a good point. I think most fans thought the addition of two new halves and a 'quality' centre would see us improve this season.

I have doubts we will have any quality signings for next year.

Djay

Juniors
We had a worse team last year and were competitive in pretty much every game, this year we have a pretty decent team and going so much worse. We're going backwards.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Are you serious?

We just did the mass purchase of players thing.

Last year from rounds 11+ we were "competitive" every week (Except 2). Only problem was that we lacked some strike power in the halves and out wide.

Then we added Sandow/Roberts and Tonga - without any losses of any note.

If Kearney can't get them to perform in the first 10 rounds this season, then that is on HIS head.
You can't blame the players every single game - sure, if they're craptastic then you can blame them every now and then, but the weekly finger pointing is silly.

He should've taught them to tackle in the pre-season instead of doing nothing with them except fitness.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The team is fine. Last year we said all we need is a good halfback and good centres. We've now got that.

:?

We have a good halfback who is still finding his feet in attack (and created a new weakness in defence).

And we have one good centre, who has been either out injured or playing injured all year. After him we have a bunch of backups or up-and-comers playing centre. The lack of stability in the centres is killing our defensive cohesion on the edges.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We'll soon find ourselves with the same problems we had in the bad old days (late 80s, early to mid 90s) - struggling to attract any quality players due to our extreme shiteness.

The difference is there's a salary cap now. That's why no team - even Cronulla - has stayed at the bottom for long.

Someone like Tony Williams (supposedly one of our top priorities) won't be short of offers. Why would he - or anyone else - want to come here unless we offer way more money than other clubs?

True, but the fact we're crap means we can offer more money than other clubs. We're crap because we have a bunch of senior players on the decline, who are still being paid salaries negotiated at their peak.

Most if not all of them will be gone next year, and we will have cash to splash. That's how the salary cap works.

Maroubra Eel also makes a good point. I think most fans thought the addition of two new halves and a 'quality' centre would see us improve this season.

I have doubts we will have any quality signings for next year.

Even without any rep-quality signings, our new halves will have had a year to gel by the start of next season. Someone like Sandow will be earning his money by then, so it'll be like a new signing. Plus a couple of these young blokes will become genuine first graders between now and then. There's plenty of improvement in this side; just don't expect it from the ageing members of the squad.

Ratchy

Juniors

We have a good halfback who is still finding his feet in attack (and created a new weakness in defence).

And we have one good centre, who has been either out injured or playing injured all year. After him we have a bunch of backups or up-and-comers playing centre. The lack of stability in the centres is killing our defensive cohesion on the edges.

Not to mention the forward pack and bench that is a weakness.

yy_cheng

Coach

Yeah but Kearney knew all that and would've put his plan B into effect.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah but Kearney knew all that and would've put his plan B into effect.

Plan B in strategic planning shouldn't be 'if you don't get immediate results throw Plan A out the window'. That's what happened to Anderson in 2010 when he tried to bring structure to the team. That's what got him sacked.

I want Kearney to stick to his guns. If he gets the arse at least he will get the arse doing things his way, not trying to please a bunch of fans that know f**k all about footy.

As much as I criticise Anderson to stir merkins up, the fact is we don't know how we would have gone if he'd stuck to his guns because he bowed to pressure and ditched his plan. Plan B is what got him sacked, and rightly so if he was so quick to throw Plan A out the window.

tresurehunt

Juniors
Are you serious?

We just did the mass purchase of players thing.

Last year from rounds 11+ we were "competitive" every week (Except 2). Only problem was that we lacked some strike power in the halves and out wide.

Then we added Sandow/Roberts and Tonga - without any losses of any note.

If Kearney can't get them to perform in the first 10 rounds this season, then that is on HIS head.
You can't blame the players every single game - sure, if they're craptastic then you can blame them every now and then, but the weekly finger pointing is silly.

He should've taught them to tackle in the pre-season instead of doing nothing with them except fitness.

ok ,how long do you think kearny will persevere with this lot,im thinking the players will be changed before the coach .

oldmancraigy

Coach
ok ,how long do you think kearny will persevere with this lot,im thinking the players will be changed before the coach .

You can't just "change the players" - they happen to have contracts.

It would be cheaper to change the coach - which is why whenever there is a major clash between players and a coach, the coach goes.

HOWEVER I don't believe there is any clash between player and coach at our club. The problem is that our coach doesn't work hard enough in the pre-season on anything except fitness.
So now we're stuck and 10 weeks behind everyone else for the second year in a row.

Honestly, I thought he'd be sacked after the pathetic performance vs the Dogs. We had a week of bullcrap talk, puffed a lot of steam and nothing happened.
We had a second week of bullcrap talk before the Raiders game, puffed a lot of steam and nothing happened again.

I fail to understand why we haven't sacked him and put JT in as coach for the rest of the season. The timing is right - we have a bye so 10 days to get a game plan organised.

We can't do worse than we currently are - at the moment we perform in 10 minute stints.
We do it with such regularity that one can only assume that's how they are being taught to play.

Coach can only blame his players for a certain amount of time - it's been 34 games now. Too long.

Sphagnum

Coach
Kearney seems to have no desire to be an eel and that's where the problem begins and ends. He doesn't bleed blue and gold in any way, shape or form so there is no team spirit. I know Hindy keeps banging on about the group being solid and everyone having a good time at training etc but there is zero evidence of that on the field. Even Luke Burt looks disinterested and I've never seen it from him in years gone by.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
We've got another bye coming up in R14 oldman. Maybe the Dragons and Sharks in between the byes will be the real test.

We had a worse team last year and were competitive in pretty much every game, this year we have a pretty decent team and going so much worse. We're going backwards.

Exactly. Our squad last year was worse but we were unlucky. This year we have bought players and have gone backwards so much it isn't funny.

oldmancraigy

Coach
game plan to this rabble is like feeding strawberrys to pigs.

That's such a stupid thing to say.

"Game plan" and "structured footy" worked perfectly well last season. We actually played good football rounds 11-26 (save 2 games - which is about par for any team). Had we won half of the games that were decided by 4 or less points we'd have made the 8 (we lost them all).

You lose those games because you've got a problem executing - which results from poor onfield 'generalship' - which is the job of the halves.
We recruited well in those areas (Sandow with his ability to win close games had no peer last season; Roberts best part of his game is ironically his 'steadying' ability, when he just steers traffic and kicks to corners).

It should not have been hard to build on last season. Instead it seems like SK spent the first 5 or so rounds fiddling around with where people would actually play. In fact it seems like he's still doing that.

What was pre-season training for SK?

You watch, we'll play good footy the rest of the way, win half our close ones because we have a 'closer', but miss the 8 because our first 10 games were diabolical.

SK can coach, he just needs to do it at the right time.
I think he should be fired for failing to do so.

oldmancraigy

Coach

This isn't quite true!

We were hopeless for the first 10 rounds last year as well. Somehow we managed to jag more wins than we have so far this year - but we didn't start playing good footy until we sacked Morts for the round 11 clash with Cronulla.

tresurehunt

Juniors
we lost by 4 points last weekend too and 1 point against the tigers,do you think we were in those games too?