What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MEDIA RELEASE re: Steve Turner

DeeGan

Bench
From Titans Communication Manager Jason Sintome as of 10 minutes ago:

The Gold Coast Titans are presently meeting with the NRL in relation to recent comments regarding the position of Melbourne Storm Fullback Steve Turner for the 2007 National Rugby League season.

We wish to advise our fans and supporters an agreement is in place between the Titans and the player and we ask that you remain patient as we work through this issue with the NRL

Kind regards,

Redback71

First Grade
i read it in todays tele apparantly he got cold feet and signed for 2 more years with the storm and said "i hope they dont mind"

i say: "he should have been wearing socks in melbourne then he wouldnt have cold feet.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[SIZE=+1]Gallop sides with Titans over Turner[/SIZE]

Written by: League news
16/08/2006
ball-titans-060816.jpg

The National Rugby League is siding with the Gold Coast Titans in their contractual dispute with Melbourne winger Steve Turner. The Titans trumpeted the recruitment of Turner on a three-year deal in mid June but the 21-year-old had a change of heart and re-signed with the Storm last night until the end of 2009.

NRL boss David Gallop says after discussing the issue with Gold Coast managing director Michael Searle today, he believes a deal had been struck between Turner and the Titans. Turner never signed a contract or letter of intent with the Titans but Gallop says that's not necessary to constitute a legally binding agreement.

Gallop says he's received an email from Turner's manager David Riolo which fully supports the Titans' case.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WWW.LEAGUEUNLIMITED.COM[/FONT]

cyberdj

Juniors
...Melbourne's position is that according to NRL rules, clubs have 10 days after a contract is entered into to lodge the paperwork - and the Titans had not done so.... *

If that's the NRL rules, I guess the Gallop needs to brush up on his organisation's rules.

* From NRL.com

Cranky

Juniors
I'd like to know if Titans fans here still want Zippa at the club. I know I wouldn't.....your thoughts Titans fans?

Iafeta

Referee
Turner will be a Titan. The email from an authorised rep of Turner's will be enough to constitute an agreement. A contract is merely a more formalised version of that agreement. However, the email is proof of the agreement and is lodged with the NRL.

Cranky, it'd be hard to leave any club at any time, but particularly when they're on a roll. He's not the first player to ever get cold feet, while he may be one of the first to admit it, he certainly isn't. That's just reality. It's a big move that involve a load of emotions. I don't think judgement should be cast on him over it. Going to the Gold Coast would be a great experience for anyone, I'd suggest once he's there, while he'll miss his mates, he'll capture the Gold Coast spirit of life and quite enjoy it and refer it to being his home.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
looks like they are going with the old "verbal contract" argument, which can be legally binding in some cases

I can seee this one dragging out, but the bottom line is Turner doesnt want to come to the GC

Iafeta

Referee
Two things; the email will provide written proof of an agreement, so it's stronger than a verbal agreement. The other thing, I don't think he flat out doesn't want to come, I think he at the moment MORE wants to stay with Melbourne. Honestly though, how many players get to be in the club environment he's just found himself in - its a one in a 5 career situation for me, great atmosphere, great coach, out of sight out of mind, a bunch of enthusiastic young blokes performing week in week out.

However, times change, and while the sentimental emotion is obviously strong in him now, I think it's not true to think that once he is a Titan and has been at the club for a month or two to not think he'll have no interest in the joint or the environment/culture/location of it all.

Eelectrica

Referee
To paraphrase Nick Saban, Miami Dolphins NFL coach:
"Our players don't decide what they're going to do for this organization. We do!... This is the real world, this is business, and there are consequences for your actions."

Turner is in fine form right now and will be great for the Titans. The Titans need to stand strong here and do all they can to keep Turner on the books.

If the NRL or someone decides otherwise, so be it, but until then he should consider himself a Titan for next season.

Kingytek

Juniors
You can have him as far as I'm concerned. He's just shown how small his backbone is....Or lack thereof

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Twizzle said:
looks like they are going with the old "verbal contract" argument, which can be legally binding in some cases

I can seee this one dragging out, but the bottom line is Turner doesnt want to come to the GC
We'll see how it ends up. But what odds on Turner playing for the Titans preceded by the statement: 'I just had cold feet... I'm now very happy to be with the Titans and I'm looking forward to a great year... '

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Eelectrica said:
"Our players don't decide what they're going to do for this organization. We do!... This is the real world, this is business, and there are consequences for your actions."

Turner is in fine form right now and will be great for the Titans. The Titans need to stand strong here and do all they can to keep Turner on the books.

If the NRL or someone decides otherwise, so be it, but until then he should consider himself a Titan for next season.
I think that sums it up well.

There's more to this than what Turner wants. A deal is a deal and by rights, Turner should stick by his word. Furthermore, I suspect the Titans feel there is no way they should roll over and allow other clubs to walk all over them.

The fans can debate the moral issues - all vaild and good for discussion - but the overiding factor is that this is a business.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Titans don’t want Turner’s career to stall

Written by: Titans Media

18/08/2006

Titans-logo-angle-200x200.gif

Gold Coast Titans Managing Director Michael Searle and Coach John Cartwright today reinforced their commitment to Steve Turner, saying the 21 year old Melbourne Storm player will be welcomed at the Gold Coast club with open arms once his 2006 National Rugby League commitments have ceased.

“Coach John Cartwright and I look forward to having Steve join his new team mates on the Gold Coast later this year. It is with great disappointment that we have heard Steve may consider sitting out the next three National Rugby League seasons. The Gold Coast Titans stress this would be a regrettable outcome, and this decision can only be made by Steve.” Searle said.

“The last thing we want is for Steve’s promising career to be placed on hold; in fact we are confident that his career will flourish under the strong coaching team we have assembled at the Club. We are also sure Steve will enjoy his time on the Gold Coast and at the Titans.”

“We did consider an application for release made by Steve Turner last week, however there were no compassionate grounds and it was decided the Club would be setting a horrible precedent if we were to grant a release simply because the player changed his mind or had been persuaded to stay on at his present club.”

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WWW.LEAGUEUNLIMITED.COM[/FONT]

if he didnt sign a contract with the titans it means hes not one plus anyway why would u want a player that doesnt wanna play for u's

gold coast imo deserve everything they get

Eelectrica said:

and hes a great choach but u gotta relize that a player wont play hard for u unless he wants too be there and if u drop him u have no many too buy anyone else

Willow

Assistant Moderator
joel caine number 1 fan said:
if he didnt sign a contract with the titans it means hes not one plus anyway why would u want a player that doesnt wanna play for u's

gold coast imo deserve everything they get
They deserve to have players honour contracts, just as players expect the Titans to honour contracts.

If Turner agreed to play, then it is a legally binding contract.

The Titans are holding up their end, Turner is playing ducks and drakes.

Willow said:
They deserve to have players honour contracts, just as players expect the Titans to honour contracts.

If Turner agreed to play, then it is a legally binding contract.

The Titans are holding up their end, Turner is playing ducks and drakes.

yes but if it not written down on paper than its useless gold coast are a top[ grade side now they shouldnt be making mistakes like this