What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media Watch to do a job on ACA/4 Corners Tonight...True?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen them stick it to ABC shows before.

Not muck to report really other than th fact they exposed Weidler

Cletus

First Grade
I was a bit dissapointed that they didn't go into the 4 corners report more (although they did accuse it of being one sided), but it wasn't a bad show. Even had the usual go at Alan Jones.
Weidler came across as a tool, not that he has a lot of credibility, and it was good to see them exposing his rubbish reporting. Media Watch is right about the issue polarizing the media and opinion, and there has been a lot of spin by Nine.
And whoever got in touch with he father and sister for comment, that is shameful.

Looked like a Weidler-bashing exercise to me, they made every attempt to defend the poorly-researched 4C program and absolutely none to address the issues of credibility the program had questioned.

It was funny when they quoted his article saying the police involved had confirmed something with him, and then both the cops in charge of the investigation denied having spoken to him. :lol:

Speaking of poor research, Wiedler's research consists of "my mate, footy player xxxx, told me this" which he then passes off as fact. If you're bagging 4C's research, whatever its flaws may have been, they are a quantum leap ahead of Weidler's.

It was also interesting that 4C were said to have never heard of Tania Boyd, but had based their story extensively on the police reports.

Finally, they shot down the support of the hotel's owner, the absentee landlord, whose rubbishing of "Clare" people were happy to leap on as evidence of her lying, yet conveniently forgetting the statements of her manager that she was "stable" and "the last person you'd expect" to be involved in this sort of thing.

Chook Norris

First Grade
my take:
- the show backed up 4 corners and basically attacked those who didn't agree
-4 Corners didn't ask whether it was consent or not
-However did say in less than 5 seconds that perhaps 4 corners needed to take the 'other' angle on it
- Goal: Bash Danny Weidler

adamkungl

Immortal
surprise, ABC as just as biased and full of agenda driven bs as every other crappy media outlet this country has

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Don't get me wrong anonymoususername, I love a good Weidler bashing but by doing it they didn't address the inaccuracies and lack of research performed by the 4C program, and the clear agenda it held. Nor did it question it's integrity in using "character witnesses" such as Palavi and Durezza...

bartman

Immortal
Next we'll need a media watch to watch the media watch... zzzzzzz. The expectations and disappointment about all forms of media in this thread are funny.

But the conspiracy talk is getting boring. Time imo to just accept above all else that the game and players have to be seen to be improving attitudes to women, simply so that the game can reclaim its public image and appeal to a broader potential audience.

Cletus

First Grade

You think it's ok that they tell her family that she'd f**ked half the Cronulla team? The only reason the media are interested in contacting them is to get a story and increase their ratings, now you can say what you like about her but to ring her father and ask her what he thinks about her being a s**t is low.

So now Media Watch is part of theis "feminist"plot to get rid of men?:lol:

Um... I didn't say that.

The point is simple. It was always likely that if MW did a story on this they'd come down on the side of the original story because it is inline with how they usually look at issues.

Doesn't necessarily mean they were wrong. Whilst it's probably not how I would look at the issue from a "Media Watch" standpoint, I thought most of their arguments were reasonable.

Bengal

Juniors
So now Media Watch is part of theis "feminist"plot to get rid of men?:lol:
I look forward to you providing the quotes to support your claim. Its one thing to think that there's feminist undertones in the way the media have been reporting this case, its totally another to suggest why they're acting this way.

Next we'll need a media watch to watch the media watch... zzzzzzz. The expectations and disappointment about all forms of media in this thread are funny.
So, you're of the belief that the media have presented a fair and balanced view of this whole saga then?

But the conspiracy talk is getting boring. Time imo to just accept above all else that the game and players have to be seen to be improving attitudes to women, simply so that the game can reclaim its public image and appeal to a broader potential audience.
I appreciate your desire to clean up the games image and deal with the perceived attitude players have towards women. But much like the media, your concentration on just the one side of this incident doesn't help matters. Some women need to clean up their attitudes towards themselves every bit as much as the men supposedly do.

Brycey

Juniors
well I'm ooold and finished my law a while ago, but the test for whether your reputation has been damaged is based on whether what was said would lower your reputation in a reasonable person's eyes. so that's why whether you have actually suffered as a result doesn't affect proving your case.

so for matty johns, for example, if he didn't lose his jobs, he might still have a case for defamation and be awarded an amount anyway.

but the thing is, a big corporation like the sharks can't sue for defamation. cause you can't defame a large group (like a footy club or a whole country). so they might be able to sue for injurious falsehood and to do that they need to prove economic loss.

sorry for the boring law stuff, but I hope that makes sense!
The meaning of a reasonable person or reasonable act in the view of the court isn't very reasonable these days anyway.

Brutus

Referee
It did sound far fetched to expect media watch to do a job on 4 corners and it certainly was. All they did was on a job on Channel 9 and Danny Wiedler.

They attempted to do a job on 9 and Weidler but it was a pretty weak attempt.

Gutless Media Watch.