What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melb still in denial

Loudstrat

Coach
Well, except for the one-sided refereeing performance that handed you the title. Made watching you bastards cop it in reverse in 06 oh so sweet.;-)
No it didn't. There is never sweetness in seeing a premiership awarded to cheating or bad refereeing. 1984, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2006, 2007 and, on both counts, 2009 were terrible outcomes for the integrity of the game.

I am not "whinging" as you put it. I've just come to accept it that we'll be copping it for many years to come.
From the moron element, sure. It's the old "I'm losing the argument so I'll pick on your club" - classically used by Broncos fans in particular to remind us that they won 6 premierships (actually 5) if they are losing an argument over something like their salary cap, gang bangs in toilets etc.

The more intelligent of us will realise there will be plenty to pick on Melbourne about without metioning the salary cap :)

gronkathon

First Grade
Whatever helps Finchy sleep at night.

Denial is a common thing in Melbourne. I guess it is the mindset they have set for themselves to keep going. The NRL is the enemy and they want to stick it up them.

Lets face it when they lose they trot out the old "we have nothing to play for card" when they win they talk about team pride and how they are a great side. Both arguments are always tinged with an anti NRL sentiment.

But if it makes him feel better than good on him. Nobody but the most ardent Storm fan buys it

bartman

Immortal
:lol: How dumb are they...

Don't realise that if you cheat to win something and then you're caught out, at the end of the day you never won anything at all.

Hope all those Premiers tattoos look good in the mirror, merkins! ;-)

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Melbourne Storm insist they would have won NRL competition again this year

THEY'VE been disgraced and disqualified, but Melbourne Storm have a message for the eight teams that will contest the finals in their absence: we're still the best.
This is the writers attempt at stirring - not what Finch says at all.
Storm five-eighth Brett Finch revealed the Storm players steadfastly believe they would have defended the crown that was stripped following this year's salary cap scandal. Out of context & seems to support the above doesn't it?

Taking aim at the NRL ahead of his team's penultimate outing against Wests Tigers tomorrow, Finch labelled the decision to make Melbourne play for nothing this season a "disgrace" and returned fire at critics who believe the illegal Storm has affected the finals chances of certain teams.

"Even now I still can't believe the NRL has let us play the whole season for nothing," Finch told The Daily Telegraph. "It's a disgrace ... you've got guys like [Canberra Raiders president] John McIntyre coming out on their soap box and saying we've cost them a finals spot.

"Well, we're just doing what we've been told to do. Maybe they should've just kicked us out of the comp - but don't get angry at us. Get angry at the NRL. It was their decision (to keep us playing for no points) and I still shake my head (at that decision)," Finch added.

Even though four months have passed since the punishment was imposed, Finch said his teammates sometimes forgot they were no longer vying for the premiership.

"There was certainly emotion and adrenalin at the start, but after a month it was like, 'How are we going to get through this?'

"It's really tough now because all the talk is about finals, and we still truly believe we're the best team in the comp (this is about team belief regardless of the circumstances I think).

"You have to check yourself. You hear all the other teams mentioned, but we're not. You momentarily think, 'Why isn't anyone mentioning us?' A natural reaction & then the reality

"And then you remember why."

Finch is in doubt for tomorrow's clash at Leichhardt Oval with a hand complaint.

Star centre Greg Inglis is also racing the clock to recover from a virus, while Billy Slater has been out of action for much of the week celebrating the birth of his first son, Jake, on Tuesday afternoon.

The Storm have re-signed several members of their generation next to new deals as they look to rebuild.

Dane Nielsen, Bryan Norrie, Justin O'Neill and Rory Kostjasyn have all signed on for two more seasons, while Luke Kelly and Robbie Rochow have extended their contracts until the end of 2011.

The club also officially announced the signing of experienced props Adam Woolnough and Troy Thompson, along with young Warriors winger Elijah Niko.

The Storm's final home game against Newcastle on September 5 is a sellout. The club priced tickets at $1 as a thank you to fans.

Haven't you guys got it yet? - this is how reporters work. They've being doing this all the way through & you guys buy in to it every time! In a 10 min interview the conversation can cover a wide range of questions, answers, opinion & the reporter will pull out of it what they want.
They already know you guys talk about Melboune Storm's (fans and all) so-called arrogance, denial etc - what better article now that its almost finals time to do a little stirring - got yous hook line & sinker! but then that seems to be what you want to believe anyway judging by all your comments...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-again-this-year/story-e6frfgbo-1225911095916

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The only thing finchy got right was that the Canberra president should be blaming the NRL and not the storm, well not the storm entirely.

Yes they cheated and deserved all their punishments thats a given, however the NRL should have come up with a more workable solution.

Not sure what it would be but i'm sure most fans agree that this solution wasn't the best?
You yourself can't come up with a better solution. The NRL had no choice in what was a difficult situation. A situation created by the Melbourne Storm.

I think the NRL did the right thing.

So we have sections of the Storm club saying we should get angry at the NRL. A lot Melbourne supporters agree. Why? Because the evil NRL disqualified a competitor who was cheating. The bigger disgrace is that other clubs bidding for players were illegally shoved out of the market by the Storm. For example, Cameron Smith should be playing for the Titans.

If the Storm never cheated, there are plausible scenarios available, namely they wouldn't have the same squad. There is no plausible scenario to support the notion that they are the rightful premiers of 2010. They cheated and got caught - that's a fact.
Finch is in doubt for tomorrow's clash at Leichhardt Oval with a hand complaint.
LOL. I can guess what that hand complaint might be.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
So a team over the cap for 1.3 million would have been hard to beat this year??? Finchy you are a genius :lol:

stormbati

Bench
Haha have a look at some sides with a great roster and can't make the finals!
Up the Storm, all the anger is taken out on all the innocent people, where is all the hate for Waldren and co?
Back to back would of been easy, have a look at the competition as it is.

innsaneink

Referee
Haven't you guys got it yet? - this is how reporters work. They've being doing this all the way through & you guys buy in to it every time! In a 10 min interview the conversation can cover a wide range of questions, answers, opinion & the reporter will pull out of it what they want.
They already know you guys talk about Melboune Storm's (fans and all) so-called arrogance, denial etc - what better article now that its almost finals time to do a little stirring - got yous hook line & sinker! but then that seems to be what you want to believe anyway judging by all your comments...
And you my friend seem to be missing the fact that BF still thinks
and we still truly believe we're the best team in the comp
Despite your lame, wishy washy opinion.
(this is about team belief regardless of the circumstances I think)
You think?????

They'll never lose the cheats tag, unless the NRL makes them go under the salary cap retrospectively, ie take the boats and extra payments away from the players who had two contracts.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Haha have a look at some sides with a great roster and can't make the finals!
Up the Storm, all the anger is taken out on all the innocent people, where is all the hate for Waldren and co?
Back to back would of been easy, have a look at the competition as it is.
lol.

River in Egypt. You've got it bad kid.

Bman26

Juniors
You yourself can't come up with a better solution. The NRL had no choice in what was a difficult situation. A situation created by the Melbourne Storm.

I think the NRL did the right thing.

So we have sections of the Storm club saying we should get angry at the NRL. A lot Melbourne supporters agree. Why? Because the evil NRL disqualified a competitor who was cheating. The bigger disgrace is that other clubs bidding for players were illegally shoved out of the market by the Storm. For example, Cameron Smith should be playing for the Titans.

If the Storm never cheated, there are plausible scenarios available, namely they wouldn't have the same squad. There is no plausible scenario to support the notion that they are the rightful premiers of 2010. They cheated and got caught - that's a fact.

I can't come up with one but I don't run one of the two biggest sporting codes in Australia. And yes it was created by the Melbourne Storm

I never said the NRL was evil or implied anything like that, Finch's response was a direct response to Furner saying the Storm had cost the Raiders a final spot, ultimately the Storm play some teams twice and others once. This makes the situation unfair already, especially if that once is away or at home as we've all seen the polar opposites that are the Storm Home effort and Storm Away effort.

The solution isn't workable because the 15 other teams aren't on a level playing field with regards to how often they play Storm.

And you re-raised the point that they cheated and got caught, I acknowledged that in my first post so I fail to see the point aside from maybe trying to make it look like I'm "In Denial".

And there is no way known that the Titans could have got Smith and been under the cap but that's another discussion topic for another day.

On another note, while we have a Storm topic, I'm calling Ulyseuss or however he spells it, change your sig asking for Bellamy to appologise mate, he co-operated fully with Deloitte and has been proven to be clean, bit harsh for him to have to appologise for a bunch of greedy suit wearing merkins.

_Johnsy

Referee
I wish the NRL made them give back the premiership rings & really rub their arrogant/scummy noses in it.

adamkungl

Immortal
No it didn't. There is never sweetness in seeing a premiership awarded to cheating or bad refereeing. 1984, 1990, 1995, 1996, 1999, 2006, 2007 and, on both counts, 2009 were terrible outcomes for the integrity of the game.

lol....i've seen every one since 95 and 2006 is the only time I have thought anyone was robbed.

Parra were hopeless in 2009 GF, you're delusional

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I was going to let it slide until I read this bit:

And there is no way known that the Titans could have got Smith and been under the cap but that's another discussion topic for another day.
Are you suggesting the Titans were attempting to rort the salary cap? I sincerely hope not.

The Titans put in a strong bid for Cameron Smith, and then the Storm miraculousy re-signed him on a better deal. It has since been shown that the Storm were way over the cap. Join the dots.

I agree we have no way of knowing if the Titans were going to go over the cap. But you're just clutching at straws by throwing that 'out there'.

Quite frankly, I think it would be a bit rich for any Storm supporter to be accusing the Titans of any impropriety in regards to Smith.

adamkungl

Immortal
And you my friend seem to be missing the fact that BF still thinks

Despite your lame, wishy washy opinion.

You think?????

Well, they might still be the best team in the comp. They were the best last year, outside the rules yes, but they were still the best.

A cheating sprinter who illegally wins is still the fastest.

I agree with Cloudsurfer, the quotes are taken out of context and heavily exaggerated.

Bman26

Juniors
I was going to let it slide until I read this bit:

Are you suggesting the Titans were attempting to rort the salary cap? I sincerely hope not.

The Titans put in a strong bid for Cameron Smith, and then the Storm miraculousy re-signed him on a better deal. It has since been shown that the Storm were way over the cap. Join the dots.

I agree we have no way of knowing if the Titans were going to go over the cap. But you're just clutching at straws by throwing that 'out there'.

Quite frankly, I think it would be a bit rich for any Storm supporter to be accusing the Titans of any impropriety in regards to Smith.

I ask first up let what slide exactly?

And i wasn't suggesting it but there is no way known they could have given their roster at the point signed Smith without losing several other players which then creates a whole new realm of ifs and buts which is endless.

Again, I wasn't accusing them but there are to many plausible scenarios regarding their attempts to sign Smith and Farah

And finally there was nothing miraculous about their re-signing of Smith, for the umpteenth time on these forums the Storm cheated, they rorted the cap, there was no miracle signings there were payments outside the cap. Everyone but Simostorm knows this