What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne and the Sunshine Coast

jim_57

Staff member
I think it would be a pretty big slap in the face to Melbourne supporters to move more games away from Melbourne than they had to.

Many of us parted with a fair amount of money, pledging our memberships back to the club. We’ve not been to a game since Sep 2019.

I understand what you’re saying, but the fact is we are the Melbourne Storm, not the Sunshine Coast Storm. It’s time to get back to normality.

Edit: I wouldn’t be opposed to a one off game up there but I don’t think it should be expected.

Agreed.

It would have been nice if some strings could have been pulled to make Storm the away team for one or both of the games though. Souths used to do this with the Cowboys in Cairns most if not all years from memory.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed.

It would have been nice if some strings could have been pulled to make Storm the away team for one or both of the games though. Souths used to do this with the Cowboys in Cairns most if not all years from memory.

warriors were also given an incentive to agree to be the away club in perth as the home club knew it would boost crowd sales.

T-Boon

Coach
Why would they?
Why is it that the Sharks and Sea Eagles are the only teams that are brought up for relocation ?

The Panthers should also relocate but to Perth.
In each case the reasons are obvious, they would be better off all round. Bigger fan base, growth potential, better chance of a good stadium being available or built.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Why would they? Why is it that the Sharks and Sea Eagles are the only teams that are brought up for relocation ?
Because they have the smallest support bases in Sydney and routintely find themselves among the lower end of crowd averages?

Because they're both regularly in financial hardship?

Surely this is an easy question to answer

Generalzod

Immortal
Because they have the smallest support bases in Sydney and routintely find themselves among the lower end of crowd averages?

Because they're both regularly in financial hardship?

Surely this is an easy question to answer
Financial hard ship lol I guess you haven’t seen the plans as to what’s going down at the leagues club. As for crowds where have you’ve based those figures from..(Lower crowd averages) Lol

T-Boon

Coach
Financial hard ship lol I guess you haven’t seen the plans as to what’s going down at the leagues club. As for crowds where have you’ve based those figures from..(Lower crowd averages) Lol

keep 2 or 3 games at Brookvale and Shark Park to try to retain the old fans and it is nothing but winning.

dogslife

Coach
I think the Warriors should be forced to play 6 home games a year in Tamworth. Not just next year either, until the end of time.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Are you telling me that Cronulla haven't had significant financial issues in the last 10-15 years?

I get the leagues club stuff is on the up at the moment - and that's good - but it hasn't always been the case, and the club's been pretty close to the brink a few times.

Cronulla home average crowds:

2010 - 10551 (16th)
2011 - 12094 (16th)
2012 - 13234 (12th)
2013 - 13470 (11th)
2014 - 12631 (13th)
2015 - 11925 (11th)
2016 - 14578 (6th)
2017 - 12953 (13th)
2018 - 12700 (13th)
2019 - 12224 (14th)

More often than not, the Sharks' home crowd average was in the bottom four of sixteen teams in the last decade. The only good news is the bump in the title year.

Memberships much the same from what I can see in the last five years:

2015 - 10610 (14th)
2016 - 14325 (12th)
2017 - 15613 (13th)
2018 - 15802 (14th)
2019 - 15826 (13th)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are you telling me that Cronulla haven't had significant financial issues in the last 10-15 years?

I get the leagues club stuff is on the up at the moment - and that's good - but it hasn't always been the case, and the club's been pretty close to the brink a few times.

Cronulla home average crowds:

2010 - 10551 (16th)
2011 - 12094 (16th)
2012 - 13234 (12th)
2013 - 13470 (11th)
2014 - 12631 (13th)
2015 - 11925 (11th)
2016 - 14578 (6th)
2017 - 12953 (13th)
2018 - 12700 (13th)
2019 - 12224 (14th)

More often than not, the Sharks' home crowd average was in the bottom four of sixteen teams in the last decade. The only good news is the bump in the title year.

Memberships much the same from what I can see in the last five years:

2015 - 10610 (14th)
2016 - 14325 (12th)
2017 - 15613 (13th)
2018 - 15802 (14th)
2019 - 15826 (13th)

But but but, the golf club!

Will the refurb bring in enough to cover the $3mill annual loss of the football club?

The Great Dane

First Grade
Disagree, these games bring profile to rugby league to the city and keep ex pats engaged in the game, even if only in a sporadic. The knock on is the grass roots benefits as people continue to follow nrl, get their kids into it and they go on to play locally. By 2000 we had no nrl games and ten game was basically dead here at all levels. Regular nrl games has been a part of its revival over the last 15 or so years, its helped get hbf park rebuilt into a tidy stadium and has given us fans sporadic top level of action something to look forward to. I’m sure Souths have done very well financially out of it which is good for them.
Only criticism I have is that it is at the whim of clubs and not part of a bigger nrl strategy to grow the game long term.
what consequences are you talking about? Me going to watch two nrl games a year doesn’t change me going to watch north beach regularly, it doesn’t make a jot of difference to perth getting a team or not (though it does give us an opportunity to prove their is a RL fanbase here) and end of day it’s a great night out from WA rl fans twice a year.

ps I don’t think it’s any coincidence that Perths newest club started up couple of years ago and chose the name Ellenbrook Rabbitohs!
I've already explained some of the consequences to you;

• You make your city an exploitable resource to the league and the clubs, which makes them less inclined to support you getting your own team as they'd prefer keep the resource around to exploit when needed.
  • There're no long term benefits for the sport locally, and it puts the sport locally into a boom bust cycle which is damaging and makes it reliant on NRL/AFL clubs being in town for it to be successful on a local level, which is also damaging.
  • Teams coming and going creates a sense of abandonment that leads to the clubs and the league being resented by locals overtime, and once that resentment becomes widespread it has serious knock on effects for the sport locally. BTW I don't know how you can deny that this happens when this thread was literally created by somebody that was resentful of the Storm's abandonment of the SSC.
I also don't know how you could possibly suggest that it was the Rabbitohs and other NRL clubs playing games in Perth that was instrumental in the sports regrowth in Perth/WA and not the work of the WARL and help and investment from guys like John Sackson and Peter Cumins. They did all the work, they invested all the time and money, they made the growth possible, the Rabbitohs et al. just blew in, collected a paycheck, soaked up all the glory, and then pissed off back home.

Look, it's obvious that you think you know better despite having next to no experience with this stuff compared to what Canberra (or Tasmania) has, and that I'm never going to be able to convince you. So you are just going to have to experience it for yourself, and in 10,15,20, years time when Perth is starting to really feel the negative effects just remember that you were warned.

cumbrian Mackem

Juniors
Sunshine Coast Sharks would get a 25k seat stadium and 20k crowds.
What’s the Sunshine Coast like as a town/city. Does it have a large retirement population? Is it’s population a permanent one or is it swelled by people who maybe own a 2nd home staying there during the holidays?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I've already explained some of the consequences to you;

• You make your city an exploitable resource to the league and the clubs, which makes them less inclined to support you getting your own team as they'd prefer keep the resource around to exploit when needed.
  • There're no long term benefits for the sport locally, and it puts the sport locally into a boom bust cycle which is damaging and makes it reliant on NRL/AFL clubs being in town for it to be successful on a local level, which is also damaging.
  • Teams coming and going creates a sense of abandonment that leads to the clubs and the league being resented by locals overtime, and once that resentment becomes widespread it has serious knock on effects for the sport locally. BTW I don't know how you can deny that this happens when this thread was literally created by somebody that was resentful of the Storm's abandonment of the SSC.
I also don't know how you could possibly suggest that it was the Rabbitohs and other NRL clubs playing games in Perth that was instrumental in the sports regrowth in Perth/WA and not the work of the WARL and help and investment from guys like John Sackson and Peter Cumins. They did all the work, they invested all the time and money, they made the growth possible, the Rabbitohs et al. just blew in, collected a paycheck, soaked up all the glory, and then pissed off back home.

Look, it's obvious that you think you know better despite having next to no experience with this stuff compared to what Canberra (or Tasmania) has, and that I'm never going to be able to convince you. So you are just going to have to experience it for yourself, and in 10,15,20, years time when Perth is starting to really feel the negative effects just remember that you were warned.

on your points
1. I don’t think the two are remotely linked. The nrl isn’t going to halt expansion, if they wanted it, so that one or two clubs a year could benefit from a few hundred k$‘s
2, it raises the profile of the game, all be it for short periods of time in the local media and gives kids opportunity to see star players in the flesh encouraging them to stick with the game The clubs come for a few days and often run clinics, jnr sessions and other things with the local clubs giving a shot in the arm to the local game
3. I do t know anyone who feels abandoned. As long as we keep getting 2-3 games a year then RL fans who are starved of opportunity to watch nrl are very grateful in my experience. Vlandys telling us we are a waste of time is far far more damaging.

Yep John deserves massive praise for bringing the game back from the dead as does the funding from Cummins. But to suggest regular nrl games dont help to keep the games profile that bit higher and the ex pats following the game I would disagree with.

No experience? I’ve been a RL fan in perth for 21 years and seen first hand so I think I’ve got a little bit of real world experience lol.
Ps it’s ok for us to have a different opinion without you getting so upset lol

Latest posts