What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MELBOURNE vs EASTS Game - a preview of what it takes to win a Premiership.

Anyone who watched the Melbourne vs Easts match tonight just viewed two of the best teams in the comp in action.
They went hammer and tongs for 85 minutes with a field goal separating them in the end.
This is clearly the benchmark.
Both these teams are coached by individuals that have a win/Loss record that exceeds 60% over a long period of time..
The main support and rationalization for McGregor's extension are subjectively, elements such as "stability" and "team harmony".
Are these not elements that Bellamy, Robinson and other coaches in the NRL bring to their respective teams??
What I saw tonight was that both clubs have already established these cornerstones a long time ago and the game was fought out by two well drilled and technically superior sides in both attack and defence.
I find it nauseating that we have extended McGregor with no regard for technical and coaching expertise.
McGregor's media pals have painted a rosy picture and Johnson has taken the support of the board to the media and the fans proactively in order to dilute the backlash which he has successfully done IMO..
Forget the spin and the media backslapping and praise - tonight was a reality check.
If St. George is serious about winning another Premiership, we have to be (consistently) as good as these two teams to even have a chance.
Oh..and another thing.
Look at the number of juniors that both teams fielded today most of whom were dynamic and did not look out of place.
These protégés were inducted into FG seamlessly and without disrupting team performance.
Both Robinson and Bellamy are masters at it creating a great mix of youth and experience.
Can we honestly, hand on heart, say that we are even getting close to this level with McGregor at the helm?

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Handling was because of some pretty brutal defence.
Would you like to expand on their "vulnerabilities".
I'm sure your right but would like to understand your logic.
Roosters soft up the middle when JWH is off.

Storm unable to handle fast starting teams.

Plenty of dropped balls on both sides not related to being hit hard.

BLM01

First Grade
I concur re Roosters. Melbourne as always at home got all the calls their way and hardly anything against when it mattered.
In fact I agree with Bennett to the let the game flow the refs have now chucked the rule book out the window about blockers, around the ruck / play the ball area, close to the line defense is standing almost in line with the play the ball, forward passes..why are not linesman taught and are accountable

Glenn012

Juniors
Handling was because of some pretty brutal defence.
Would you like to expand on their "vulnerabilities".
I'm sure you're right but would like to understand your logic.
You are right about Robinson bringing young guys through but other than that, both very beatable!

You should know better than anyone, with our full strength pack (including our persecuted hero, JDB), with Hunt, Norman and Dufty playing off the back of that and someone else the f**k out of the picture, I will back us against anyone! Let's just see how we go with consistency because the talent is there.

Melbourne would need Smith and Munster to play out of their skin to beat us on a good day. Rorters are a good team. No doubt they will take some beating but our forwards just might give them a literal beating and then let's see how good Keary is! I'm going to back him to stink it up like someone did for us for several years in tough games. Tedesco is probably the best player in the game right now but Mitchell vs Aitken is the big advantage they have. Mitchell can run even better than Aitken but can pass the ball as well.

McGregor, you twit! Swap Aitken with Lomax if you want to beat the Rorters!

since77

Juniors
As good as Melbourne are, they’re very beatable this year. A few teams have let them off the hook this season with poor second halves, and the Roosters were nearly the next to do it.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I think it was the Fox Sports commentators who remarked that despite being undefeated (before last night), the Storm still haven’t played a serious contender during the opening six rounds of the competition.

Reminiscent of SGI last year and 2015.

As for the Chooks, they have always been susceptible to both a soft underbelly not withstanding bogey teams (particularly in big matches). For example, when was the last time the Sydney Roosters beat the Dragons?

1975? I don’t think they’ve won a semi (let alone a grand final) against the Dragons in over 40 years.

Crush

Coach
Melbourne Storm and/or Sydney Roosters have appeared in 14 of the last 20 Grand Finals.
This year will be no different. They are superior in every way, management, coaching and playing roster.
Last night was likely a preview of this years grand final.
Ohh to have Latrell Mitchell or James Tedesco in our backline, Bellamy as our coach, a forward thinking BOD......

Walpole

Juniors
"Look at the number of juniors that both teams fielded today most of whom were dynamic and did not look out of place."

I can't even begin to imagine what the f**k you are talking about.

Juniors? How many Victorians or kids from Bondi played in that game?

I can only assume the point of your post is just another way to point out our coach/board/management etc is shit,

And f**k both of 'em. Only need to beat either team once, when it counts.

Life's Good

Coach
It was a great game of footy with both sides showing they’re genuine contenders.
The Storm have had a loss coming for a couple of weeks & the Roosters looked a different side when Keary went off(Cronk was down on his usual standards).
What worked for both teams was plenty of niggle & grubbiness(Roosters were better at it in the first half & Melbourne did it better in the second half).
We beat them both last year & we’ve shown desperation this year(think Broncos game). Can we beat them this year? Anything is possible.

BennyV

Referee
"Look at the number of juniors that both teams fielded today most of whom were dynamic and did not look out of place."

I can't even begin to imagine what the f**k you are talking about.

Juniors? How many Victorians or kids from Bondi played in that game?

I can only assume the point of your post is just another way to point out our coach/board/management etc is shit,

And f**k both of 'em. Only need to beat either team once, when it counts.
Juniors is referencing players that either club have recognised as talents, recruited at a young age, invested in development and brought through to first grade. It’s great management and forward planning, both clubs have recognised that they are restricted by their geographical footprint and our recruitment and development systems in place to not only mitigate that restriction, but thrive on a solution.

But I do agree with the whole ‘f**k them’ thing!

Dragons4me

Juniors
Great game last night and it should have been. Both teams (by comparison to us) have the money to buy who they want and discard who they don't at will. Use and then spit out. If only we had that sort of financial backing behind us. Combine that with our brand name, juniors and combined territory and we would be back to the golden age of 11 in a row,

Oh for someone with a grand vision management skills and financial acumen to see this! That's where our problem lies, not on the field.

Belta

Juniors
After watching, I’d agree there is a gap between us and them but it’s not that big. Melbourne are a very tough side but IMO are weaker without Slater and Cronk. I’ve been most envious of Melbournes wingers but lately they’ve been nothing special. Vunivalu was especially well below his best. If we turn up I can see us being in the fight.

The Roosters are a dangerous side who defend well and have ridiculous depth. (No Friend, Manu, Takieku, Morris, Hall and I’m sure others and they still look good)

Tedesco and Kerry are dynamic and Mitchel can create a try from nothing. Mitchell however is also lazy and makes errors in defence. So he will likely let try’s in. They’ve got good forwards but our forwards are also very good. I can see us in the match especially if we contain Keary, Tedesco and Mitchell.

Neither unbeatable.

FlameThrower

Bench
Both teams are leading Comp and favourites for a reason . It’s long season, SOO, & injury can derail the season really quickly.
On our best day we can beat them but need to start quickly and confidently.
But at the end of the day, I don’t like both teams anyway so focus on the Dragons!!!

Overseas dragon

Juniors
My heartfelt thanks to MELBOURNE for belting the crap out of the bottomless money pits. Also known as the rorters. Let's see how you back up next Thursday .Sims, frizell Vaughan, graham and company are looking forward to welcoming you next week. . ..