What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memberships 2012

Suitman

Post Whore
What's also weird is non Victorians who follow that rubbish. They must be easily led.

I can understand SA's and WA's - they've got not a lot in their lives - (besides Haynzey and brother and Carson ;-)), but f**k me, why would a League state person follow that joke of a sport?

Suity

bartman

Immortal
I think after the season we've had the club would probably be ill-advised to rush out the new membership info until we've all had a month or two's break to get over what was season 2011?

And I hope that our club follows Souths' lead following a disappointing season and doesn't increase the prices....

Thanks for that fine appraisal Suity, but they still know how to do the business of running a football club, far better than it appears those of us in the league states do. Myself and a few others have forever been comparing memberships offered by different clubs and different codes, to highlight the plight we league supporters suffer in terms of membership. We are 20 years behind the ball.

Hell a club like the Sydney Thunder have memberships right and they have been in existence for less than a year.

Suitman

Post Whore
Thanks for that fine appraisal Suity, but they still know how to do the business of running a football club, far better than it appears those of us in the league states do. Myself and a few others have forever been comparing memberships offered by different clubs and different codes, to highlight the plight we league supporters suffer in terms of membership. We are 20 years behind the ball.

I know we are.

Hawthorne, and AFL still suck balls.

Suity

I know we are.

Hawthorne, and AFL still suck balls.

Suity

Meh, I am half Victorian, it is in my blood. Was raised for the first 5 years of my life on AFL, and the mighty Hawks.

Special note, in my recent trip to Tasmania. I drove past both Aurora Stadium in Launceston (where the Hawks play in Tasmania), and after taking the Spirit of Tasmania back to Victoria, I drove past Waverly Park (the home of the Hawks), Good times.

SDM

First Grade
I drove past Duck Creek the other day, that is where Parramatta River water first tastes freedom after falling onto a kebab shop's roof.

Gronk

Staff member
Mr Twitter tells me that Souths have hit 4,000 members for 2012 already.

Eels Dude

Coach
Mr Twitter tells me that Souths have hit 4,000 members for 2012 already.

Oprah probably was given 3900 of them. She probably gave all hers away as fan gifts during her farewell tour last year. Who knows what she'll do with them this year.

Haynzy

First Grade
I can understand SA's and WA's - they've got not a lot in their lives - (besides Haynzey and brother and Carson ;-)), but f**k me, why would a League state person follow that joke of a sport?

Suity

I'll take that as a compliment. Cheers Suity

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I understand cash flow but I'd like to think we have enough in the kitty that we're not reliant on membership money coming in right on December etc.

You can always borrow to help out with cash flow, but any business would rather avoid it so they don't get hit with extra interest charges.

Not having the cash doesn't mean the club doesn't have the money. But certainly having too much cash on hand is nearly as bad as not having enough, because that extra cash could be working harder somewhere else.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Funny thing is, the Victorians take it so seriously and actualy think the world revolves around it.

Not only is AFL an embarressment to this country, Victoria is as well.

The AFL parade was on in Melbourne 'city' today and the train was full of bogans with their flags and jerseys and shit. Most of them were for teams that aren't in the grand final.

They either didn't realise how stupid they look or they didn't care. It's like an entire city full of tragics for this miserable boring game.

It's not a sport; it's a subculture. It's middle Australia at its embarassing worst.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think after the season we've had the club would probably be ill-advised to rush out the new membership info until we've all had a month or two's break to get over what was season 2011?

Agreed.

The marketing for 2012 should be all about the squad and pretending 2011 didn't exist. I'd be surprised if this didn't end up being the case.

Pictures of Hayne, Fui, Hindy, Sandow and Tonga is what the punters want to see. Preferably all wearing Eels kit of some description.

Eels Dude

Coach
You can always borrow to help out with cash flow, but any business would rather avoid it so they don't get hit with extra interest charges.

Not having the cash doesn't mean the club doesn't have the money. But certainly having too much cash on hand is nearly as bad as not having enough, because that extra cash could be working harder somewhere else.

Yes that is true. I'm aware the club have invested in a lot of assets. Sold a couple off in recent years to break even actually. It's a lot better than having the cash just pile up. But you still need to keep enough there to not have to rely on potential members joining and paying on time. All Sydney clubs were finding it tough because of the pokie tax. If this further amendment to the rule Penrith will be in major strife. They've already solf off a number of their subsidiary clubs.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But you still need to keep enough there to not have to rely on potential members joining and paying on time.

Totally agree, and I suspect they've budgeted for X number of members which is a figure they're confident of reaching.

The only real downside to requiring members to pay in full by a certain date is the potential number of customers they would lose by not offering an option for more incremental payments.

But it's a fact that people are far more likely to pay for things like this (football club memberships) in the 2 or 3 months prior to Christmas. Interestingly, football club memberships fill the same role for consumers as signing up as paying members of charity organisations.

Case in point is all the charity panhandlers flooding the streets of city centres at the moment, trying to sign people up for 12 month financial commitments to this or that charity. You'll be lucky to see any at all the rest of the year, except for a little burst of guilt-for-sale around the end of the financial year (because it's tax deductable).

But as far as I know, football club memberships aren't a tax deduction.

Eels Dude

Coach
Case in point is all the charity panhandlers flooding the streets of city centres at the moment, trying to sign people up for 12 month financial commitments to this or that charity.

Don't get me started on that. Walking through the CBD at Parramatta you can't avoid it. It's like a minefield.