Memorable matches

Discussion in 'Newcastle Knights' started by Zoidberg, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

Just watching some games from the 90’s on fox sports recently got me thinking about games from years ago that stand out.
    One of mine was from 1997 against the Roosters early in the year, can’t remember the score (but we did win) but I remember watching and being impressed with the win. I’m also prettty sure Leo Dynevor had a great game at half filling in for an injured Joey.

Any games stick in your head?

2. alexwilliams_66692007

alexwilliams_66692007 Bench

The game against Penrith in 2005 that ended our losing streak sticks in my mind pretty well

macavity, Yosh and Zoidberg like this.
  3. Mr_Knightside

Mr_Knightside Juniors

The two that I remember most fondly are that game against the Broncos in 2004 when Kurt Gidley kicked that wonky field goal in golden point and also our semi final in 2006 against Manly, I think we were 12 points down for most of the match and Manly were all over us but Joey scored one and put two on a plate for Kurt then Mullen almost scored a length of the field try and we ended up kicking a field goal and then topping it off with a try in the corner to Bryan Carney. That was such a high intensity game, both teams really ripped in.

Tom155 and Yosh like this.
  4. slotmachine

slotmachine Bench

Yeah 2006 semi in the last 15 years. Let's just pretend the week after didn't happen.

5. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

Dragons in 99 at the SFS. They play it abit on Fox. A great free flowing game with heaps of lead changes and quality tries. Plus the good guys win.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  6. Bartwah

Bartwah Juniors

2 recent ones for me.
    Round 1 this year, the atmosphere at the ground was next level, blew the (imaginary) roof off the stadium when Pearce hit the field goal.
    And the other is against Melbourne in 2014(?). 2 tries in the final 2 minutes and Gidley kicking it from the sideline to win. Gives me goosebumps every time

macavity, Still Nutty, Yosh and 3 others like this.
  7. Still Nutty

Still Nutty Juniors

Yep - at both of those and that atmosphere isn't like any other ground....hope to see a lot more of those this year ;)

8. Yosh

Yosh First Grade

All my favorites have been mentioned here. How good is footy?

9. NoSchitSherlock

NoSchitSherlock Juniors

There was a string where we won 3 in a row and then a loss and a win in 2012 that I caught by accident a few weeks ago. I was impressed but didn't recall us being that good. Mullen totally lead the way.
    '97 GF has to be it though.

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

How bad is the off season!

Walk On Home Boy and Yosh like this.
  11. Bring it home Knights

Bring it home Knights First Grade

I loved being at the qualifying semi vs the Sharks in 2001. The semi final game vs Parramatta was also a corker. Down 18-0 after 18 minutes and then coming back to win.

12. Bring it home Knights

That was a great game! The Knights completed just about every set over the 80 minutes and Dynevor carved up.

13. Walk On Home Boy

Walk On Home Boy Juniors

Rd 1 2004 season opening game vs Penriff who were premiers at the time was a memorable game for me. We played very well and Joey was looking in great touch...his kick-offs were unbelievable and a nightmare for the Riff.

We won the game and it had me pumped for a big year. In typical Knights fashion though, Joey done his knee in Rd 3 and was ruled out for the year. What could've been if that bloke never got hurt...

14. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Bench

If I remember correctly, Joey got injured during our 1st final of 2002 and a week before finals in 2003. What would’ve happened if he was fit...who knows.

Walk On Home Boy likes this.
  15. Walk On Home Boy

Walk On Home Boy Juniors

Absolutely. If I recall, someone dog shotted him in the back and busted his ribs on one of those occasions.

There's no doubt in my mind that at least one Premiership went begging due to an injury to Johns. Likely 2002 imo

Zoidberg likes this.
  16. Lynoman

Lynoman Bench

Jason Ryles, was at the match, happened right in front of me, crowd was ropeable.

17. Walk On Home Boy

Walk On Home Boy Juniors

Ah yes, that's who it was. Absolute grubbery and the only way they could win.

18. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

It was Luke Bailey not Ryles. Was accidental and not really a cheap shot either.

19. Bring it home Knights

The game vs sounds in 99 was a pearler. We put 60 on them and we brought it up by Craigie kicking a goal from the sideline near the full time siren.

20. Silent Knight

Silent Knight First Grade

That was the first day I learnt the pleasure of having a [email protected] A Souffs mate of mine reckoned Tricky Trindall was a better halfback than Andrew Johns. We were both at that game.

Ever since that game I have always thought..."Souffs are a bloody sh*t club".