What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How's everyone going lately?

What an amazing win the other night and it doesnt feel that real that its Grand Final week and Parramatta are still there. Incredible.

That game was the best thing for a while. I had a crappy week and soon as the siren went, I was jumping for joy and then cried a little.

However its been quite stressful lately when trying to get tickets. I'm still unable to get them, been trying since Friday night and unfortunately no luck. Add to that, you hear about people how they got tickets and took them 5 minutes. How is this possible? When you try so hard yet other people succeed, you feel a bit let down. I guess its luck for them. I know it doesnt seem like a big deal, but when you dont have much luck, yet other people do like getting tickets early, going on holidays, have good jobs, wifes/girlfriends, you feel like the world is unfair to you and feels a bit pointless trying.

Ive been supporting this club since I was a kid and it would mean the world to see them win. I dont know the next time we'll see them in a grand final, I hope they play in more in this current era.

Anyway I have people trying to help out asking for spare tickets with their friends so its nice of them to help out. I'll try and be positive.

I hope people here have got tickets to the game.

Happy MEel

First Grade
How's everyone going lately?

What an amazing win the other night and it doesnt feel that real that its Grand Final week and Parramatta are still there. Incredible.

That game was the best thing for a while. I had a crappy week and soon as the siren went, I was jumping for joy and then cried a little.

However its been quite stressful lately when trying to get tickets. I'm still unable to get them, been trying since Friday night and unfortunately no luck. Add to that, you hear about people how they got tickets and took them 5 minutes. How is this possible? When you try so hard yet other people succeed, you feel a bit let down. I guess its luck for them. I know it doesnt seem like a big deal, but when you dont have much luck, yet other people do like getting tickets early, going on holidays, have good jobs, wifes/girlfriends, you feel like the world is unfair to you and feels a bit pointless trying.

Ive been supporting this club since I was a kid and it would mean the world to see them win. I dont know the next time we'll see them in a grand final, I hope they play in more in this current era.

Anyway I have people trying to help out asking for spare tickets with their friends so its nice of them to help out. I'll try and be positive.

I hope people here have got tickets to the game.
I’ll keep an ear out for you mate. I don’t want to get your hopes up but I may know of some tickets going. Won’t know until tomorrow or Wednesday so will keep you posted.

Keep trying though through your other contacts.

Eelementary

Post Whore
This whole Optus saga has really screwed up my mental health.

This cluster f**k has the potential to last many, many years.

Sure, I can join the class action, and probably get something of it.

But the amount of stress, and anxiety, that this will cause for the unforeseeable future is just insane.

And all because Optus were lazy.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
As I have gotten older I have realised being to kind and nice can leave you prone to mental health issues and feeling like down. I shake my head at times when I think about how many people I would help out, doing favours for only to never hear from again untill a new favour is needed.
I know there have been a few posts already in reply to this, but I will just add my 2c worth to this one.

My wife and I often chat about how all the little favours we do for others seem to be one-way only, we give a lot of our time to help out friends and see little in return (from most) and we support a number of registered charities as well as give away stuff we dont need (clothes, kids toys, etc.) to people we hear about that are in need and sometimes you do wonder why... when there are occasions where it would be nice to get something back and nothing comes your way it can be very disheartening.

We made the decision a few years ago now that what we got in return for our kindness didn't actually matter to us. Sure it can be disappointing at times but we took the concious decision to give because we are able to, because we want to set the right example for our daughter, and because it is what we believe is the right thing to do.

So now we give without any expectation of getting back and our disappointment is lessened. Whether it is giving an old unused bike to a family who needs one, or having a big group of friends over for a bbq knowing that none of them will return the invite, or loaning my ute to a family member to help them move house and yet they don't offer anything in return... it doesnt matter. It simply is what it is. Some people give because of who they are, others give because of what they might get back... we chose to be the former.

PS: A few weeks ago I asked a guy in a Facebook group I am part of if he could help me with some minor electronic repairs and I would pay him (it is his hobby, not his business). He was willing to help me out and then said "Don’t worry about any payment. Joe Blow tells me about how generous you are and how much of a good bloke you are so sounds like you deserve some good will
😉
"

So maybe it does come back, just not always directly.

hindy111

Post Whore
I know there have been a few posts already in reply to this, but I will just add my 2c worth to this one.

My wife and I often chat about how all the little favours we do for others seem to be one-way only, we give a lot of our time to help out friends and see little in return (from most) and we support a number of registered charities as well as give away stuff we dont need (clothes, kids toys, etc.) to people we hear about that are in need and sometimes you do wonder why... when there are occasions where it would be nice to get something back and nothing comes your way it can be very disheartening.

We made the decision a few years ago now that what we got in return for our kindness didn't actually matter to us. Sure it can be disappointing at times but we took the concious decision to give because we are able to, because we want to set the right example for our daughter, and because it is what we believe is the right thing to do.

So now we give without any expectation of getting back and our disappointment is lessened. Whether it is giving an old unused bike to a family who needs one, or having a big group of friends over for a bbq knowing that none of them will return the invite, or loaning my ute to a family member to help them move house and yet they don't offer anything in return... it doesnt matter. It simply is what it is. Some people give because of who they are, others give because of what they might get back... we chose to be the former.

PS: A few weeks ago I asked a guy in a Facebook group I am part of if he could help me with some minor electronic repairs and I would pay him (it is his hobby, not his business). He was willing to help me out and then said "Don’t worry about any payment. Joe Blow tells me about how generous you are and how much of a good bloke you are so sounds like you deserve some good will
😉
"

So maybe it does come back, just not always directly.

I like helping people if it's say moving something ,babysitting, a hand with car or borrowing things. It's nice to be able to do this and a rewarding feeling. Some people have busier lives then others.
It is much different to doing favours that is your main source of income. And again if someone's oven blew or HWS Id be happy to get out of a sticky situation.
But when they are things that are not necessary but nice additions or handy to have then it starts to wear you down especially when it's a one way street.

I recently have become very honest and upfront and just say have plenty of work and I can't be bothered. Can forward some numbers if like.

Eelementary

Post Whore

There is beauty in this world.

I'm not sure about the video's details (for example, if it was set up, and they knew each other beforehand), but taken at face value, that is the sort of thing that restores my faith in humanity.

hindy111

Post Whore
There is beauty in this world.

I'm not sure about the video's details (for example, if it was set up, and they knew each other beforehand), but taken at face value, that is the sort of thing that restores my faith in humanity.

I probably sound like a total asshole but -

What a great young man.🙄 The real question is "HOW MANY VIEWS DID HE GET"

This does the opposite in restore my faith in humanity. It's a growing trend that's also faced it's own backlash. Millenials doing good deeds but putting on tiktok to show everyone how nice they are whilst getting a dose of attention.

It's a feel good story to show his friends. If you wanted to cheer the old bloke up go have a quiet cup of tea with him once a week and a chat. Making a lame tik tok video and spinning round in a tea cup with Mickie mouse ears 🤮

If you want to see beauty think of all the great people doing volunteering work out there going unnoticed working in the background. Think of those fire fighters risking their lives. There is heaps of love in the world.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I probably sound like a total asshole but -

What a great young man.🙄 The real question is "HOW MANY VIEWS DID HE GET"

This does the opposite in restore my faith in humanity. It's a growing trend that's also faced it's own backlash. Millenials doing good deeds but putting on tiktok to show everyone how nice they are whilst getting a dose of attention.

It's a feel good story to show his friends. If you wanted to cheer the old bloke up go have a quiet cup of tea with him once a week and a chat. Making a lame tik tok video and spinning round in a tea cup with Mickie mouse ears 🤮

If you want to see beauty think of all the great people doing volunteering work out there going unnoticed working in the background. Think of those fire fighters risking their lives. There is heaps of love in the world.

You make a very good point.

Social media is a double-edged sword.

I think maybe the video creator was trying to encourage his viewers to be kind, by showing the effects of kindness.

But you are right - these content creators are after views, pure and simple.

Gronk

Staff member
You make a very good point.

Social media is a double-edged sword.

I think maybe the video creator was trying to encourage his viewers to be kind, by showing the effects of kindness.

But you are right - these content creators are after views, pure and simple.
Acts of human kindness can be delivered in many ways. They can be done anonymously, or they can be bundled into a prime time TV show where Scotty Cam and his team renovates the home of a well deserved family with the fridge donated by westinghouse, the kitchen and bathroom PC items provided by Harvey Norman etc.

1664405110787.png

Some people volunteer with a camera on them 24/7.

1664404691556.png

Did Corey Norman give away clothes to the homeless in Martin Place every month to help the needy or to promote his YKTR clothing brand ?

1664405576120.png

In contrast, there are *celebrity* people who donate their time to the Wayside Chapel or to Father whatshinames Ashfield soup kitchen and plead for anonymity with zero interest in pats on the back.

I think it all helps regardless of personal and corporate motives and anyone who makes a sacrifice small ,large or even as a cunning ruse for corporate gain is doing a deed greater than the merkins who do nothing and commentate from the sidelines and often label it as "virtue signalling" or whatever the buzzword of the day is. Facts are that without the most cynical of acts of kindness, we'd be far worse off if they didn't happen.

The CEO sleepout is needed each year to reinforce how philanthropy can be delivered in many ways and if that means that big companies or even tiktok merkins want something back in return, then that's OK I reckon.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Acts of human kindness can be delivered in many ways. They can be done anonymously, or they can be bundled into a prime time TV show where Scotty Cam and his team renovates the home of a well deserved family with the fridge donated by westinghouse, the kitchen and bathroom PC items provided by Harvey Norman etc.

View attachment 66760

Some people volunteer with a camera on them 24/7.

View attachment 66759

Did Corey Norman give away clothes to the homeless in Martin Place every month to help the needy or to promote his YKTR clothing brand ?

View attachment 66761

In contrast, there are *celebrity* people who donate their time to the Wayside Chapel or to Father whatshinames Ashfield soup kitchen and plead for anonymity with zero interest in pats on the back.

I think it all helps regardless of personal and corporate motives and anyone who makes a sacrifice small ,large or even as a cunning ruse for corporate gain is doing a deed greater than the merkins who do nothing and commentate from the sidelines and often label it as "virtue signalling" or whatever the buzzword of the day is. Facts are that without the most cynical of acts of kindness, we'd be far worse off if they didn't happen.

The CEO sleepout is needed each year to reinforce how philanthropy can be delivered in many ways and if that means that big companies or even tiktok merkins want something back in return, then that's OK I reckon.

I agree.

I don't care if, for example, Macca's donates money to the WWF - it's clearly driven by a motive to grow their brand, by showing how generous they are, but the result is that they are making the world a better place, regardless of their intention.

And I think that Tik Tok user, regardless of his intention, highlighted that even the simplest gestures can have a positive impact in the world.

Gronk

Staff member
I agree.

I don't care if, for example, Macca's donates money to the WWF - it's clearly driven by a motive to grow their brand, by showing how generous they are, but the result is that they are making the world a better place, regardless of their intention.

And I think that Tik Tok user, regardless of his intention, highlighted that even the simplest gestures can have a positive impact in the world.
Yep win , win.

the phantom menace

First Grade
Yep, today's been a very... distractable day. Haven't been able to sit/think still for long enough to get a focus on anything much. At least tomorrow I should be able to take the nervous energy out on the yard/garden!

Suitman

Post Whore
Well, I was in Parra early this morning for various reasons. Caught the bus there.
OMG!
Parramatta Square is a seriously classy joint.
6-8 Parramatta Square is amazing
The foyers/lobbies of these two buildings are equal to 5 star hotels in any part of the world. Equal to anything in the Sydney CBD.
I encourage everyone to go there and check it out.
The Square itself is almost finished and will be amazing when done. This is an incredible addition to our city.

Latest posts