What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

hindy111

Post Whore
I’m going to Manly Barracks tonight to see Bjorn Again. 🙄 Why am I posting this in the mental health thread ? Happy wife, happy life ! 🥰

FFS 🤮

View attachment 66836

We must be carefull this thread doesn't go to far off what it's s meant for. Posts like this I feel the mods should delete,warn and further sanctions if does it again.

the phantom menace

First Grade
It's never an easy feeling for fans ending a successful season (making the final two weeks of finals) and losing out on grand final day...

We were outsiders and deserved to be, so hopefully expectations weren't all that high - but all of us would be feeling the same sense of dashed hopes etc

Just take care of yourselves tonight, and tomorrow, and over coming days - and as we know as Eels fans, there's always next year (and the next year... and the year/s after that).

Gronk

Staff member
The morning after will generate lots of emotions. The glass half full version is that we’ve has a fantastic year. Few people realistically expected us to reach the big dance and we f**king did. We did it without a GOAT and without the footy gods, who were alseep at the wheel. The mere fact that we finished ahead of Storm, Roosters, Cows, Sharks and Souths is a massive achievement. We should all be pretty chuffed of what we have achieved in 2022.

Stevie

Bench
How is everyone travelling? I’m pretty flat and really struggling to get going with my fitness again. I know when I get out, get active I feel better but jeez I am avoiding it. Bloody strange, anyone got any tips on getting kick started?

Gronk

Staff member
How is everyone travelling? I’m pretty flat and really struggling to get going with my fitness again. I know when I get out, get active I feel better but jeez I am avoiding it. Bloody strange, anyone got any tips on getting kick started?
Make yourself accountable. Promise us to go to the gym or have a run every day or whatever your poison / frequency and then post proof you did it.

This thread will come after you if you don't. 😡😝

1665714187838.png

Seriously, accountability is a powerful thing. :sunflower:

WestCoastEel!

Juniors
Try and get 10k steps in a day, doesn't have to be every day however if you're averaging 10k per day (or a certain amount, and build up to it) then that's a good start. Then that can turn into a run once a week, or some other form of exercise.

Set goals for the day, week, month of what you want to get done and you will feel great and in turn will motivate to keep going.

Nutrition is the key though. If you get that right, and that doesn't mean giving up beer or not having takeaway occasionally, you will feel much better and be more inclined to exercise once you're seeing results and in a good routine.

Personally, I have been struggling for a while mentally. This week has really been tough especially. However, I have my routine in place (walk approx 60km per week, and workout 3-5 times per week) and try to stick to it as best I can. I track meals using myfitnesspal app and in Notes on my Iphone and on smart watch track gym sessions. This keeps me accountable and an easy way to see if i'm straying at all.

I do have a gym setup in my garage as I could not handle going to the gym due to anxiety. Not sure of your situation or if you have access to a gym or weights at home however if you can get a bench press, squat rack, barbells/dumbbells and some weights you can do a lot with that.

Failing that, if possible, workout with mates and that way you're both/all getting fit and pushing each other.

Good luck

Gronk

Staff member
Try and get 10k steps in a day, doesn't have to be every day however if you're averaging 10k per day (or a certain amount, and build up to it) then that's a good start. Then that can turn into a run once a week, or some other form of exercise.

Set goals for the day, week, month of what you want to get done and you will feel great and in turn will motivate to keep going.

Nutrition is the key though. If you get that right, and that doesn't mean giving up beer or not having takeaway occasionally, you will feel much better and be more inclined to exercise once you're seeing results and in a good routine.

Personally, I have been struggling for a while mentally. This week has really been tough especially. However, I have my routine in place (walk approx 60km per week, and workout 3-5 times per week) and try to stick to it as best I can. I track meals using myfitnesspal app and in Notes on my Iphone and on smart watch track gym sessions. This keeps me accountable and an easy way to see if i'm straying at all.

I do have a gym setup in my garage as I could not handle going to the gym due to anxiety. Not sure of your situation or if you have access to a gym or weights at home however if you can get a bench press, squat rack, barbells/dumbbells and some weights you can do a lot with that.

Failing that, if possible, workout with mates and that way you're both/all getting fit and pushing each other.

Good luck
I run about 60km week, but seriously you deserve a medal for walking 60km a week. Two weeks ago the trains were f**ked and I walked the 5.5km to work in the city. It took me about an hour and basically - f**k that.

hindy111

Post Whore

Yes I do. I felt flat but have much clarity now.

WestCoastEel!

Juniors
I run about 60km week, but seriously you deserve a medal for walking 60km a week. Two weeks ago the trains were f**ked and I walked the 5.5km to work in the city. It took me about an hour and basically - f**k that.
Thank you, having two kelpies certainly helps. They always want to walk. Not only is it good for them, it's also very good for me mentally and physically. I'm lucky as I live close to the coast so it's always a pretty nice walk.

Running 60km a week is huge, well done seriously. I used to run however it doesn't agree with me so don't do it often. I guess it's all about what you enjoy doing and what helps with seeing results.

5.5km is a decent walk, especially with wearing work clothes. Hopefully the trains aren't f'd again so you don't need to go through that.

Gronk

Staff member
Unsure if you merkins know about a free streaming service called Kanopy ?

1665740364578.png

It has indie movies and documentaries on it. To join you need to be a student or a member of a library. So I joined Randwick library and boom. Lots of good stuff on it, including this which runs for 30 mins.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Righto I’ll commit. Getting moving exercise wise everyday for the next 2 weeks. Short task but very doable. Once I’m hitting that, let’s say 10k steps a day. I’ll step it up.
Pre season starts now!

once begun it's half done

don't ask me where that quote is from

I think it would be remiss of me not to post at least one of these types of interviews as I see the same things repeatedly said. The same severe issues resolved. Most people don't understand how much what you eat determines your mental health. Or they do try to eat healthy but what they do is follow typical health guidelines which are messed up due to serious vested interests. It's worth a go for a real chance at lifelong improvement. This is a smart young kid btw.

Stevie

Bench
I hit 10k steps today guys but in my defence the Mrs is away for the day so I’ve done it carrying around a 1 and 4 year old so it feels like 20k ha.

Made sure I took the kids down the beach and also bought a book especially for my 4 year old and I took read (it’s a proper book) so thats pretty awesome.

Only downside is my freshly painted black GTS has been whacked by the wife accidentally getting out of the car, just discovered it this morning dead set I’ve been filthy all day. f**k me deep breaths! Pretty sure they’ll come out but will need some TLC.

Incorrect

Coach
Sa
I hit 10k steps today guys but in my defence the Mrs is away for the day so I’ve done it carrying around a 1 and 4 year old so it feels like 20k ha.

Made sure I took the kids down the beach and also bought a book especially for my 4 year old and I took read (it’s a proper book) so thats pretty awesome.

Only downside is my freshly painted black GTS has been whacked by the wife accidentally getting out of the car, just discovered it this morning dead set I’ve been filthy all day. f**k me deep breaths! Pretty sure they’ll come out but will need some TLC.
Sad face for the GTS damage... But good on you for the 10K steps!! God speed brother

Gronk

Staff member
I think it would be remiss of me not to post at least one of these types of interviews as I see the same things repeatedly said. The same severe issues resolved. Most people don't understand how much what you eat determines your mental health. Or they do try to eat healthy but what they do is follow typical health guidelines which are messed up due to serious vested interests. It's worth a go for a real chance at lifelong improvement. This is a smart young kid btw.
Diet is certainly part of the big picture of well being and good mental health, but let’s not rest on it being the silver bullet. It is part if the solution and any dramatic change in diet should be undertaken in consultation with your GP, or even better, a dietitian.

Whatever (good) diet and healthy lifestyle a merkin chooses, it will bring with it weight loss, increase in health and well being. It’s not rocket science to then see how the flow on effects will benefit you in the long term.

Holisticly, the quest for well being has been studied ad nausem and Maslow’s take is the most referenced. So basically, you need to chip away at all aspects of your needs. Focusing at the bottom of the pyramid, with an eye on the upper needs once the basic needs are met. Deficiency should be used as motivation to chase change.

The hierarchy of needs can be applied to a family who lives in a mud hut in Eritrea or captain moeny bags who lives the high life in Knightsbridge London.

1665861661092.jpeg

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore

I hear you.

I had plans to get my fitness back in track, and life kind of got in the way, and motivation is hard to come by.

I know, though, that once you make the time to get the habit going a few times, it becomes easier to make time to do it.

Hang in there.

Keep going.

And don't beat yourself up if you struggle to get motivated to make some positive changes - as the cliché goes its a marathon, not a sprint.