What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Stevie

Bench
I'm so sorry to hear that @Stevie and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.
As you may know, it is only just over a week ago that my family laid to rest my dad. It is NEVER an easy time to lose a beloved family member.
Blurb here anytime you feel the need to. It is what I do and it truly does help.

Just remember the good times. It is what I have done about my dad's passing. I think of all the good things about him every day and I try not to think about the sadness of his passing away. It is hard every morning when I wake and again realise he is not in our lives anymore. But I quickly understand that there is nothing I can change and what has happened, has happened.
I'm going to a memorial service tomorrow afternoon at his Aged Care Centre which they are putting on for him, which is nice of them. Geez, they must have to do one of these a week at this place. Anyhow, I'm going to support my mum more than anything, who is now on her own. Dad's bed was quickly removed from their double room soon after his passing.

Anyway, mourne your Great Auntie's passing. But, celebrate her life with your memories.
Don't ever forget them.
Thank you for those words. Means a lot. Hope you’re going ok mate

Happy MEel

First Grade
Today is a tough day. As ridiculous as it sounds my 99 yo Great Auntie just passed and although we know it’s been coming. It’s brought with it a flood of precious childhood memories that are never to be again.
Will toast a glass of bubbles to her tonight, but can’t help but feel overwhelmed at the finality of it all.
I actually named my daughter after her such is the affection I had for her.
Thanks for giving me a place to blurb.
Doesn’t sound ridiculous at all mate. She was someone you loved dearly so it’s only normal that her passing has had such an impact on you. I’m so sorry for your loss and I hope inbetween the really hard times you find the space to reflect on all the amazing times, of which I’m sure there were plenty over a life spanning 99 years. Take care mate and post here anytime.

I'm so sorry to hear that @Stevie and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this time.
As you may know, it is only just over a week ago that my family laid to rest my dad. It is NEVER an easy time to lose a beloved family member.
Blurb here anytime you feel the need to. It is what I do and it truly does help.

Just remember the good times. It is what I have done about my dad's passing. I think of all the good things about him every day and I try not to think about the sadness of his passing away. It is hard every morning when I wake and again realise he is not in our lives anymore. But I quickly understand that there is nothing I can change and what has happened, has happened.
I'm going to a memorial service tomorrow afternoon at his Aged Care Centre which they are putting on for him, which is nice of them. Geez, they must have to do one of these a week at this place. Anyhow, I'm going to support my mum more than anything, who is now on her own. Dad's bed was quickly removed from their double room soon after his passing.

Anyway, mourne your Great Auntie's passing. But, celebrate her life with your memories.
Don't ever forget them.
Thoughts to you too Suity. Lost mum last year. Stayed strong for others..

PARRA_FAN

Coach
How's everyone been doing? I havent been on here much and if I'm being totally honest, I'm really struggling mentally. If I was in a good headspace I would be doing so many things I would enjoy, watching movies, catching up with friends, focus more on work. The other day a mate of mine asked if he wanted to catch up after the Storm game and to be honest I had absolutely no idea what he meant. So far this year there's been so many stresses that I have barely thought of the NRL which is quite sad as I'm not normally like this. :(

I'm more confident on here or other online programs as its hard to open up in person because lately Ive had people treating me disrespectful, they could probably sense that I'm down but they dont help me because of their tone eg " Whats wrong with you? "Why are in such a sh1tty mood?" "Harden up" .

To me that makes it feel worse for people and I'm sick of the BS of people who say they want to help you but only say that for their self interest, instead say things like that because they're not fully understanding. I hope this makes senses for other people here. Anyway I wont go on too much. I have to stay positive but its hard at the moment.

Don't ever forget them.

I'm so sorry to hear Suitman, condolences to you and your family

How's everyone been doing? I havent been on here much and if I'm being totally honest, I'm really struggling mentally. If I was in a good headspace I would be doing so many things I would enjoy, watching movies, catching up with friends, focus more on work. The other day a mate of mine asked if he wanted to catch up after the Storm game and to be honest I had absolutely no idea what he meant. So far this year there's been so many stresses that I have barely thought of the NRL which is quite sad as I'm not normally like this. :(

I'm more confident on here or other online programs as its hard to open up in person because lately Ive had people treating me disrespectful, they could probably sense that I'm down but they dont help me because of their tone eg " Whats wrong with you? "Why are in such a sh1tty mood?" "Harden up" .

To me that makes it feel worse for people and I'm sick of the BS of people who say they want to help you but only say that for their self interest, instead say things like that because they're not fully understanding. I hope this makes senses for other people here. Anyway I wont go on too much. I have to stay positive but its hard at the moment.

Some great points.

It’s hard to know what to expect from people. Probably most people I deal with every day, they seem self obsessed with very little empathy or genuine reflection for the plight of others.

If that’s your expectation of people, then the selfishness doesn’t really come as much surprise.

There are probably people, they can’t even begin to operate on any other level, their minds are simply wired that way.

I think if you’re able to collect thoughts and reflect on how people treat you, it’s a bit like a radar and a gift as other people can’t or they simply pick up false readings.

My late dad would like your sensitivity and he’d say never let people really get to you, because the chances are they aren’t as decent and good as you are deep inside. so inside, roll your eyes at their nonsense!

Harden up is all simple solution stuff. It’s pretty meaningless. Patting the dog is more comforting.

So you’re not alone.

Occasionally and rarely, you meet people on the same terms as you. Just that cut above in compassion and understanding stakes.

So hold out for the moment I reckon.

And I forgot to add, yep I have those complete loss of interest in things I like, such as destroying cars. You surprise yourself. I get that too.

If you feel overwhelmed it could be like a real depression thing and you get a script and stuff. I’ve heard they work for most people. Apparently stop your head from bad thoughts overload, bad thoughts don’t take over as much. See your doctor.

I know some powerful people and they take anti depressants or whatever and it’s helped them. No stigma, they’ve done a lot more with their careers than I have and have better finances etc. One of them drives a Discovery, but there’s no accounting for taste!

Thanks for sharing those insights. Best thing I’ve read today.

Last edited:

Stevie

Bench

I’m glad you post here tbh if you say you’re more confident to vent here than other places.
How good is that?!
I’m sure others will give you better advice as I’m a touch flat for obvious reasons but reaching out is important. Your feelings are important!!

Gronk

Staff member

You might be surprised how many people out there are struggling mate. It’s just that you are brave enough to share.

Isn’t it great that we have a safe place to share. People do care and reaching out to friends family GPs etc really helps. I know it has for me. I personally think that you need to surround yourself with good people who are in your corner. Have you got a regular GP and have you shared your low mood with him/her ?

Last edited:

Rocket man

Juniors
Today is a tough day. As ridiculous as it sounds my 99 yo Great Auntie just passed and although we know it’s been coming. It’s brought with it a flood of precious childhood memories that are never to be again.
Will toast a glass of bubbles to her tonight, but can’t help but feel overwhelmed at the finality of it all.
I actually named my daughter after her such is the affection I had for her.
Thanks for giving me a place to blurb.
Condolences.

Suitman

Post Whore
So, I had a medical procedure today. A large cist cut out of my back. The size of half a golf ball. It grew very quickly in the past two months. It has been sent off for testing. Hopefully the result comes back ok. It's a fairly uncomfortable and slightly painful night though, now that the anesthesia has worn off. I'm just laying on the lounge watching the cricket and I have taken some pain killers.
Thankfully I had some leftover dinner from last night which I could just re-microwave.

So, I had a medical procedure today. A large cist cut out of my back. The size of half a golf ball. It grew very quickly in the past two months. It has been sent off for testing. Hopefully the result comes back ok. It's a fairly uncomfortable and slightly painful night though, now that the anesthesia has worn off. I'm just laying on the lounge watching the cricket and I have taken some pain killers.
Thankfully I had some leftover dinner from last night which I could just re-microwave.
Oww!

If it’s still painful in the morning, try to get more pain relief from the doctors.

There’s some over the counter things as well you can apply that can numb.

Had some left overs tonight as well mixed with potatoes.

I knew a lady, she swore by 2 day old kfc in fridge and then re-heated. Like a vintage wine thing.

People are off their heads!

Gronk

Staff member
Nasty mate. Good on you for not neglecting your self care. So many of us put ourselves last by dismissing importance or simply procrastinating.

Stevie

Bench
Shit mate that must be incredibly worrying. I hope you’re able to get some sleep. I’m sure it’ll be good news, I have a sixth sense about these things. Sending lots of lots and thoughts mate.
Please keep us posted.

Stevie

Bench
Assuming you’ve probably got the endone so you’re probs sleeping most of the day it’s heavy stuff. That’s a big op!

Assuming you’ve probably got the endone so you’re probs sleeping most of the day it’s heavy stuff. That’s a big op!
But slowly and surely the pain will subside and he will be 300%.

I had a dental op a few years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Anyone out there with the dental pain, go hard with the resources to sort it. It is life changing.

The thing won’t improve on its own.

And I do some work in the domestic violence field from time to time.

If anyone thinks the staff in these places are anti-men, nazi feminists types. Thats not the case at all.

Just regular citizens, many married with boys etc.

They don’t have much time for the gender politics and they understand that some men get the full brunt of domestic violence as well. They care about them too.

So if you see this narrative and man hate shit in the media, the people who are on the front line, helping the victims, I can testify that they don’t have any time for it and that’s everyone I’ve met.

They don’t want to see anyone harmed.

I should probably do a talk on it one day for the mens shed people. The women hurting men violence is a lot lot less statistically but you wonder if guys aren’t reporting it etc.

Thinking about it, all the parties and pollies seem keen to rave on about it, but the resources are still quite modest.

Improving but not where we should be for both genders and I suppose all these other types people are subscribing to.

Anyway a bit of life experience to share with the panel for interests sake.

Last edited:
Missus lost her job on the weekend, she really liked it. Very upset.

Small operation and her boss got pretty sick, so no one’s fault.

So she’s been looking and has already applied for 2 more. I think that’s pretty good. I’ve left it up to her. No coercion or pushing.

And I like the fact, when she’s been at home, she’s been doing a lot of extra stuff, including getting my stuff ready for work. It’s a nice surprise because I didn’t ask.

Good karma when you receive unexpected kind thoughts.

Just thought I’d share that here with our panel.

I hope everyone is ok.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Missus lost her job on the weekend, she really liked it. Very upset.

Small operation and her boss got pretty sick, so no one’s fault.

So she’s been looking and has already applied for 2 more. I think that’s pretty good. I’ve left it up to her. No coercion or pushing.

And I like the fact, when she’s been at home, she’s been doing a lot of extra stuff, including getting my stuff ready for work. It’s a nice surprise because I didn’t ask.

Good karma when you receive unexpected kind thoughts.

Just thought I’d share that here with our panel.

I hope everyone is ok.
Sorry to hear about your missus losing her job mate but it sounds like she’s in a good headspace and I’m sure her positive attitude will land her a new gig in no time.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your missus losing her job Kate but it sounds like she’s in a good headspace and I’m sure her positive attitude will land her a new gig in no time.
Yeah, I think so.

We’ve got the financial pressure like everyone else, but I just chilled -and she’s up and about on her own.

Im glad I didn’t suggest she look for another job. I’ve learned something.

Shout out to that “focus on the present” advice given earlier in the thread.