What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

TheParraboy

Staff member
My mum (80) had open heart surgery yesterday*.

* Well that's the thing, what used to involve cracking the chest open, doing a full by-pass and sewing in a new aorta valve was replaced with slipping some camera thingo up an artery in her arm, inserting a cow's heart valve inside her lazy valve, nip, tuck. She was supposed to spend 4 days in ICU, but last night she just slept in her bed. Vitals were fine, all the machines hooked up to her agreed.

She just called me and they are happy for her to go home tomorrow. Tomorrow. All heart stuff is functioning fine. Her wonky rhythms are resolved. No need for a pacemaker or any other invasive action. Go home, you'll be fine until your next scheduled service Madam.

I am both confused and relieved. She was supposed to be in < > Private for up to two weeks. WTF with modern medicine ?

phew, I was reading that first paragraph thinking an "oh no" moment is coming

Hope she has many many more years

hineyrulz

Post Whore

* Well that's the thing, what used to involve cracking the chest open, doing a full by-pass and sewing in a new aorta valve was replaced with slipping some camera thingo up an artery in her arm, inserting a cow's heart valve inside her lazy valve, nip, tuck. She was supposed to spend 4 days in ICU, but last night she just slept in her bed. Vitals were fine, all the machines hooked up to her agreed.

She just called me and they are happy for her to go home tomorrow. Tomorrow. All heart stuff is functioning fine. Her wonky rhythms are resolved. No need for a pacemaker or any other invasive action. Go home, you'll be fine until your next scheduled service Madam.

I am both confused and relieved. She was supposed to be in < > Private for up to two weeks. WTF with modern medicine ?
My boss had his gallbladder removed last Friday, I thought he’d still be in bed this morning he greeted me at the door and showed me what they did and where you wouldn’t of known he had surgery just 4 days ago. Crazy.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

good result, surgery has changed so much now, its pretty amazing what they can do

King-Gutho94

Coach

That's great mate. The technology when it comes to heart operations these days are amazing whenever i speak to my cardiologist.

I had 3 open heart surgeries as a kid before I was 8 years old.

I remember the B2B open heart surgeries when I was 7 and 8 years old as the pig skin valve didn't quite work in 2001 so they had to go back in late 2002 and do it again.

The only positive was I missed 6 weeks of school but I remember as a kid it takes a whole lot out of you. Spend a week in hospital and you just feel exhausted.

Then when I was 15 instead of open heart surgery I was the 3rd child in Australia at Westmead childrens hospital at the time to have a stent operation where they go up through the groin with a balloon then it expands to stop the valve from leaking. The surgery was a success was out of hospital the next day and 2 week recovery before i was playing cricket again.

I haven't had to have a heart operation since.

I will have to have more operations in the future as I was born with a heart condition.

But this stent has lasted me 13 years and because it's worked they will look to try it again to avoid the open heart option. And who knows in 15 years time what other possibilities there are out there.

King-Gutho94

Coach
My boss had his gallbladder removed last Friday, I thought he’d still be in bed this morning he greeted me at the door and showed me what they did and where you wouldn’t of known he had surgery just 4 days ago. Crazy.
Maybe he was just making sure you were front loading your effort areas at work.

Gronk

Staff member
That's great mate. The technology when it comes to heart operations these days are amazing whenever i speak to my cardiologist.

I had 3 open heart surgeries as a kid before I was 8 years old.

I remember the B2B open heart surgeries when I was 7 and 8 years old as the pig skin valve didn't quite work in 2001 so they had to go back in late 2002 and do it again.

The only positive was I missed 6 weeks of school but I remember as a kid it takes a whole lot out of you. Spend a week in hospital and you just feel exhausted.

Then when I was 15 instead of open heart surgery I was the 3rd child in Australia at Westmead childrens hospital at the time to have a stent operation where they go up through the groin with a balloon then it expands to stop the valve from leaking. The surgery was a success was out of hospital the next day and 2 week recovery before i was playing cricket again.

I haven't had to have a heart operation since.

I will have to have more operations in the future as I was born with a heart condition.

But this stent has lasted me 13 years and because it's worked they will look to try it again to avoid the open heart option. And who knows in 15 years time what other possibilities there are out there.
Boy, you have a history! And yes, the mind boggles what science has ready for you when you’re ready for the next 100k service.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Boy, you have a history! And yes, the mind boggles what science has ready for you when you’re ready for the next 100k service.
Yeah your right they dont miss you when i go for my yearly appointments $500 bucks for an ECG and check up only normally get back half from Medicare.

Yes my file I had collected from westmead children's hospital after i became an adult is bigger then a Harry Potter book unfortunately.

Snoochies

First Grade
I asked this a few months back but willnsee how everyone is now. How is everyone coping with the cost of living.
It's killing me, I get paid monthly and 2 weeks after pay day nearly the whole pay has gone. It seems enjoying yourself a little is not allowed anymore, a couple take away dinners here and there and a night out is enough to make you broke.

JokerEel

Coach
I asked this a few months back but willnsee how everyone is now. How is everyone coping with the cost of living.
It's killing me, I get paid monthly and 2 weeks after pay day nearly the whole pay has gone. It seems enjoying yourself a little is not allowed anymore, a couple take away dinners here and there and a night out is enough to make you broke.

Getting paid Monthy is the worse... When it comes into the bank its nice then its gone in a flash glad I now get paid fortnightly. It is shit the cost of living these days I am glad pasta is still pretty cheap.

The way they think raising Interest rates is going to fix things is backwards thinking.

Snoochies

First Grade
Getting paid Monthy is the worse... When it comes into the bank its nice then its gone in a flash glad I now get paid fortnightly. It is shit the cost of living these days I am glad pasta is still pretty cheap.

The way they think raising Interest rates is going to fix things is backwards thinking.
I agree. I'm not sure Mr and Mrs Jones are the ones causing inflation so not sure how they are the ones to fix it.
My pay sucks, I get paid on the first Thursday after the last Friday of every month meaning its every 4 weeks for 2 months then on the 3rd month its 5 weeks. Same pay for all of them so have to stretch out and extra week every 3 months. I won't have enough money before the year is out.

JokerEel

Coach
I agree. I'm not sure Mr and Mrs Jones are the ones causing inflation so not sure how they are the ones to fix it.
My pay sucks, I get paid on the first Thursday after the last Friday of every month meaning its every 4 weeks for 2 months then on the 3rd month its 5 weeks. Same pay for all of them so have to stretch out and extra week every 3 months. I won't have enough money before the year is out.

How does it work out same pay for all?

eels_fan

First Grade
Yeah monthly pay absolutely blows, lived with it for many Years.

now get paid fortnightly for my main job and weekly for my second job makes things easier to manage.

in saying that the mortgage increases have killed us and we are often reaching into savings some weeks to get by, we are lucky we have some, but they won’t last forever. Paying in excess of $600 a month more than 12 months ago. For a single income family of 3 - it’s tough

hindy111

Post Whore

Agree. These rises only effect maybe 35% of population. People with small loans haven't been effect a lot. People with no mortgages not at all. People with money have benefits off high term deposits and have more money to spend. Boomers are cashing in.And the working middle class is paying for them.
Rents have gone up but not to the same levels. Most have risen about $40-$70 a week.

hybrideel

Bench
If it was just mortgages going up, it would almost be bearable. But given the high inflation still and everything else going up it is crippling us. Car rego and extra $200 a year, weekly groceries and extra $50-100, health insurance up nearly 10%, my rates went up by 20%, electricity costs etc.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
If it was just mortgages going up, it would almost be bearable. But given the high inflation still and everything else going up it is crippling us. Car rego and extra $200 a year, weekly groceries and extra $50-100, health insurance up nearly 10%, my rates went up by 20%, electricity costs etc.
My house and contents insurance went up 39% when it came for renewal last week. We got some quotes and some were 3 times the cost.

Last edited:

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Try to haggle with the cheapest quote. Also the compare the market type sites as they sift through many insurers.
Yep, Mrs Lorenson did that. 3 quotes etc. Called the insurer. We got the cheapest price we could but it was still way higher than last year. And the last thing you want is to be underinsured on your house.

Avenger

Immortal
Been at home with COVID since Tuesday. Have a metallic taste in my mouth. f**k this staying at home shit. Feels like the flu but different, muscles twitching constantly in my stomach and neck.

Gronk

Staff member
Been at home with COVID since Tuesday. Have a metallic taste in my mouth. f**k this staying at home shit. Feels like the flu but different, muscles twitching constantly in my stomach and neck.
My daughter and the stunt man have covid too. I've been sliding toast and pizzas under their door since Sunday.

1684373789704.png