What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

born an eel

Bench
So all Kearneys years achieved was to lose one of our mentally strong players.

Maybe SK thought that being labled as wooden spooners would hurt their pride, #5yrplan

Gronk

Staff member
"I must be crazy to be in a loony bin like this"

Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Just a side thought. How funny would it be if Casper and Suity were the sane ones and the rest of us were the crazy flipped out ones?

Gronk

Staff member
Just a side thought. How funny would it be if Casper and Suity were the sane ones and the rest of us were the crazy flipped out ones?

Close. Pretty sure that we all don't exist and are really just characters is Casper's SIMS 4 - League Unlimited Edition.

Tooooks

Bench
Interesting. I heard Nathan Smith was one of the most impressive, but it may have been a different bootcamp. Displayed really good leadership apparently and got a wrap from the military guys (maybe they were taking the piss).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would anyone be surprised that someone is mentally strong but not capable of being a leader? They are two very different attributes in my opinion.

They are indeed, but the silly merkins making these comments don't know the first thing about leadership or mental strength so it's understandable they would confuse the two.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would Kearney extend the contracts of mentally weak players?

Most of the guys from late 2010 (the time of that boot camp) are no longer at the club.

But some of them certainly still are and I was miffed that a couple of them were re-signed last year. Maybe there was nobody better to replace them with, but more likely Kearney was no longer in control of player retention considering Sticky's arrival was the NRL's worst-kept secret.

That would have been why Ryan Hinchcliffe pulled out of signing with us. Kearney had no trouble attracting players in 2011 then last year rumours surface about him getting the arse and suddenly we can't sign any players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Interesting. I heard Nathan Smith was one of the most impressive, but it may have been a different bootcamp. Displayed really good leadership apparently and got a wrap from the military guys (maybe they were taking the piss).

Just a guess but I reckon Keating and Morgan would have been two of the other strong performers.

Gronk

Staff member
Most of the guys from late 2010 (the time of that boot camp) are no longer at the club.

But some of them certainly still are and I was miffed that a couple of them were re-signed last year. Maybe there was nobody better to replace them with, but more likely Kearney was no longer in control of player retention considering Sticky's arrival was the NRL's worst-kept secret.

That would have been why Ryan Hinchcliffe pulled out of signing with us. Kearney had no trouble attracting players in 2011 then last year rumours surface about him getting the arse and suddenly we can't sign any players.

LOL. More spin than a Shane Warne Cricket Clinic.

EelsFan05

Bench
They are indeed, but the silly merkins making these comments don't know the first thing about leadership or mental strength so it's understandable they would confuse the two.

At a guess Pou, I'm guessing the only thing you've ever led or been mentally strong about is your post count on these forums. You are a dribbler of the highest order.

phantom eel

First Grade
I recently bumped into a mate who is posted to a particular military unit in Holsworthy. This particular unit has a selection requirement that candidates must pass in order to serve with the unit. The selection course tests applicants physically, but ultimately they are looking for mental traits - resilience under pressure, determination, etc.
Yeah, because we all just know that link is clearly logical and evidence based.

The only one of those exceptions that he recognised was Nathan Hindmarsh, although he's not much of an NRL fan. Anyway, Hindy was awesome but that should come as no surprise.
Pity he was such a poor leader in your eyes, despite his mental strength.

Then he remarked that he helped put Souths through the same boot camp last year and they were on a different level to the Eels. He said it changed his opinion of NRL players, and showed why the Eels were so shit so often.

And that made me sad.
Me too. We clearly picked the wrong Storm assistant coach - Kearney instead of Maguire.

Tony Bongo

Bench

I think we would have had a better chance with Folau as well. It seemed that for all money he was coming and I reckon that Kearney getting sacked had a lot to do with him changing his mind. After all who wants to come to a club that displays zero stability?

Just a guess but I reckon Keating and Morgan would have been two of the other strong performers.

That wouldn't surprise me. It would be interesting to know who the other strong performers were. I reckon Reni would have been a good chance.
Yeah, because we all just know that link is clearly logical and evidence based.

Pity he was such a poor leader in your eyes, despite his mental strength.

Me too. We clearly picked the wrong Storm assistant coach - Kearney instead of Maguire.

With the full support of the board who knows what Kearney could have been by now? If Kearney went to a club like Souths and Maguire came to Parramatta my guess is that many people would have very different opinions of both of them now.

Anyhow - fire away Kearney haters:D

Latest posts