What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Strength

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Way to generalise. Will to succeed/win is an individual trait. What other races can you pigeon hole with one trait? They are plenty of loser bogans out there that have no drive to suceed/win at all.

We're not talking about individuals though; we're talking about rugby league players as a whole.

Given all the physical requirements for a player to play in the NRL, it's obvious that some outstanding physical specimens will get through despite flaws in their mental game.

Why is it such a stretch to think there might be some correlation with culture?

Gronk

Staff member
He is coaching first grade; he's an assistant coach at the Broncos.
He not coaching first grade. I think we are finally on the same page.
You don't think assistant coaches are important to an NRL club? If not then why do clubs bother replacing them?

Assistants in professional environments are indeed important. Like a nurses aid, Kearney changes the bed pans and wipes the Lad's arses at the Broncos.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
People are being a bit dismissive of the role of an assistant coach to try and make a point.

However, I will say this. If he had any ambition, there is no way that Kearney would be happy with an assistant role at the moment. Particularly given that he experienced the head coaching role.

Pou - Do you think he will be a head NRL coach again in the near future?

Last edited:

EelsFan05

Bench
We're not talking about individuals though; we're talking about rugby league players as a whole.

Given all the physical requirements for a player to play in the NRL, it's obvious that some outstanding physical specimens will get through despite flaws in their mental game.

Why is it such a stretch to think there might be some correlation with culture?

No you were taking about specific cultures not possessing a will to win because of their culture. I said the trait was not cultural but individual. But ten out of ten for trying to change the subject.

People are being a bit dismissive of the role of an assistant coach to try and make a point.

However, I will say this. If he had any ambition, there is no way that Kearney would be happy with an assistant role at the moment. Particularly given that he experienced the head coaching role.

i think he might be better off starting in the lower grades coaching by himself without any pressure before he tackles the big time again

Eelementary

Post Whore

I know you asked Pou, but in my opinion, he will coach again.

I think Kearney had a number of things that didn't go right:

(1) He was inexperienced as a First Grade Head Coach;

(2) He eventually lost the players' respect (who can forget Reni's comments after he stood down?); and

(3) This squad is an enigma in terms of their psychology (nobody has been able to unlock their inner potential and give them that "steel" required to be a top team).

Tactically, he insisted on dumbing the football we played right down, and it was probably silly. But by the same token, I could see why he insisted on doing that - focus on the basics first, and when you have the basics right, then you can dazzle them.

However, he immediately recognised that we were struggling with our junior retention and talent identification, and he made some changes to address that.

Overall, his tenure was a failure, but I don't think that the Parramatta Eels were the ideal club for a rookie coach to begin their career at. We have been a basket case on and off the field for a long time now, and combined with the players' fragile psyches and Kearney's nice-guy attitude, he was practically doomed to fail here from the start.

That doesn't mean he'll be the greatest coach of all time in my eyes, by the way - it just means that I think he will coach again.

Eels Dude

Coach
Coaches rarely get second chances at such a high level after initially failing, especially one with a first grade record as poor as his. He'd be better sticking to rep footy with the Kiwis.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Coaches rarely get second chances at such a high level after initially failing, especially one with a first grade record as poor as his. He'd be better sticking to rep footy with the Kiwis.

True - but I suspect that this is why he's assisting the Broncos at the moment (to get more experience).

The difference between Kearney and, let's say, Langmack, is that Kearney has successfully coached a Test team, which may (or may not) stand him in good stead in the future.

Time will tell if he returns to the position of First Grade Head Coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I doubt it. This club is a career killer, and he has done well to even get an assistant's job.

The last coach to leave our club and go on to coach first grade was Brian Smith.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No you were taking about specific cultures not possessing a will to win because of their culture.

That's right. I wasn't talking about individuals.

I said the trait was not cultural but individual.

Oh well in that case you're wrong. I thought you were (correctly) saying that any given individual could display traits unassociated with any group (cultural or otherwise) to which he belongs. But now you admit that you were (incorrectly) saying that just because a trait can apply to an individual that it cannot apply to a culture.

You should have quit while your point was correct-but-irrelevant. Now you're just wrong.

But ten out of ten for trying to change the subject.

Don't even try mate. You're boring and not as bright as you seem to think you are.

Noise

Coach
I doubt it. This club is a career killer, and he has done well to even get an assistant's job.

The last coach to leave our club and go on to coach first grade was Brian Smith.

Its not just our club. The nrl is a career killer. In the last 10 years most coaches that have got the sack haven't coached again

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Its not just our club. The nrl is a career killer. In the last 10 years most coaches that have got the sack haven't coached again

True enough, but how many NRL coaches have been sacked in the last ten years?

Because we have contributed five of them.

Noise

Coach
True enough, but how many NRL coaches have been sacked in the last ten years?

Because we have contributed five of them.

Taylor wasn't sacked but off the top of my head: brown, folkes, Moore, McLennan, sheens, Murray, smith from roosters as well as us, Anderson, Kearney , Lang , henjak, dymock (was sacked as he had a first grade contract when hasler came) and fitler...there's probably some I left out

Elliot, one of the few who got another job

Last edited:

EelsFan05

Bench
That's right. I wasn't talking about individuals.

Oh well in that case you're wrong. I thought you were (correctly) saying that any given individual could display traits unassociated with any group (cultural or otherwise) to which he belongs. But now you admit that you were (incorrectly) saying that just because a trait can apply to an individual that it cannot apply to a culture.

You should have quit while your point was correct-but-irrelevant. Now you're just wrong.

Don't even try mate. You're boring and not as bright as you seem to think you are.

The old if you can convince, confuse approach Poo. Your generalisation of cultures, for example soccer players not having a winning mentality because they are from Thailand, is wrong on the most basic level. Clearly because you are living in the four dimension and are so mentally superior to all here you have trouble operating down on that level. Back to your dimly lit you room.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The old if you can convince, confuse approach Poo. Your generalisation of cultures, for example soccer players not having a winning mentality because they are from Thailand, is wrong on the most basic level. Clearly because you are living in the four dimension and are so mentally superior to all here you have trouble operating down on that level. Back to your dimly lit you room.

To be fair, it was Guus Hiddink who said that about the Thai football team.