What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merrin wants back

Frank Facer

First Grade
Using this argument, Vaughan could also be given a run at centre too.
I disagree. No one provided me with any reasons as to why Widdop couldn't play centre or why he would make such a bad centre.

It would be very easy to provide a very strong argument as to why Vaughan would not make a good centre. First and foremost reason is he would be too slow and cumbersome for centre. I will tell you this. Widdop would have made a much better centre than Vaughan, or Aitken and probably better than Lafai too.

I’d also have a fit and focused Merrin back in a jiffy, although not as a JDB replacement. His best footy has been at prop, and his decline started with the absurd idea of attempting to change him into a lock forward.

Merrin would be perfect relief for the aging James Graham.
Totally agree - he is a very good prop.
Should specialize and stick to it.
Has good footwork at the line, can offload and bends the line.
I reckon McGregor stuffed him up when he was moved to lock.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Totally agree - he is a very good prop.
Should specialize and stick to it.
Has good footwork at the line, can offload and bends the line.
I reckon McGregor stuffed him up when he was moved to lock.

Totally agree, but I think you’ll find it was Price who initialised Merrin’s move to lock.

Get him back to a no nonsense, head down bum up role with charging into the defence taking three opposition players out of the defensive line. As you say, with Merrin’s adept footwork, passing and offloading he still has time on his side to make his mark on the NRL again.

The question, though, is whether McGregor can see what’s so bloody obvious? Unfortunately, his track record says no.

Still, get Merrin back!

Don't know about Merrin...... His attack reminds me of a reversing truck with the beeper sounding..... also his reemployment would bring back the echos of the Willie Mason taunts re the "soft" dragons pack. To me his first contact in defence is ordinary and no way he is a like for like replacement for JDB. Also, Panthers didn't get rid of him because he was setting the world on fire.

grouch

First Grade
Also, Panthers didn't get rid of him because he was setting the world on fire.
He was one of their best forwards during their late season surge last year. Only let go due to cap problems - and so far it's not like Penrith are exactly thriving without him.

He's a tremendous middle forward who puts up great numbers and has an offload - a former Kangaroo (as recently as 2017) and NSW Origin player who is still only 29. He'd be an absolute coup of a signing.

TheFrog

Coach
He was one of their best forwards during their late season surge last year.
I would not go so far as to say that. Yeo, Kikau, Tamou and Fisher-Harris were our best forwards in the back end of 2018. Trent wasn't right. He was our best forward in his first year at our club, 2016, and pretty good in the second, but garbage last year. He wasn't on garbage money, though. That's why he was let go.

Our issues this year aren't with the forwards. Trent would make our side, but probably from the bench and not on the money he was getting.

Last edited:

grouch

First Grade
I would not go so far as to say that. Yeo, Kikau, Tamou and Fisher-Harris were our best forwards in the back end of 2018. Trent wasn't right. He was our best forward in his first year at our club, 2016, and pretty good in the second, but garbage last year. He wasn't on garbage money, though. That's why he was let go.

Our issues this year aren't with the forwards. Trent would make our side, but probably from the bench and not on the money he was getting.
Breaking: Fan says players currently at club are superior to player not at club.

TheFrog

Coach
Breaking: Fan says players currently at club are superior to player not at club.
You can look at my ratings from last year if you can be bothered. Or do you think they let him go because he was our best forward?

Anyway he's a good bloke and I hope he can get his career back on track.

Water11

Juniors
He was one of their best forwards during their late season surge last year. Only let go due to cap problems - and so far it's not like Penrith are exactly thriving without him.

He's a tremendous middle forward who puts up great numbers and has an offload - a former Kangaroo (as recently as 2017) and NSW Origin player who is still only 29. He'd be an absolute coup of a signing.

I agree 100% on this take. I seriously hope he comes back as he would currently have inspiration and will hopefully provide others to follow.

BLM01

First Grade
I disagree. No one provided me with any reasons as to why Widdop couldn't play centre or why he would make such a bad centre.

It would be very easy to provide a very strong argument as to why Vaughan would not make a good centre. First and foremost reason is he would be too slow and cumbersome for centre. I will tell you this. Widdop would have made a much better centre than Vaughan, or Aitken and probably better than Lafai too.
Ill give you 1 or 2.
He does not run direct enough or take the line on. (prefers to run at angles).
He is creator with his passing and sometimes short kicking game..and a good goal kicker. He is a 5/8th and good at creating opportunities. Norman is a sort of replacement like for like but better at field goals and is trying to take the line on a bit more. What I will say with Norman he can fool opposition more when he is trying to create. Norman will be a good replacement if he can stay switched on all the time as he is ATM. BIG IF. Widdop was consistent.
How often have you ever seen Widdop throw a dummy pass or a show and go or back a player up who has got through a gap ready to support a run-away try or look for someone to put him into a hole
Sorry Frank not a centre

denis preston

First Grade
Don't know about Merrin...... His attack reminds me of a reversing truck with the beeper sounding..... also his reemployment would bring back the echos of the Willie Mason taunts re the "soft" dragons pack. To me his first contact in defence is ordinary and no way he is a like for like replacement for JDB. Also, Panthers didn't get rid of him because he was setting the world on fire.
He won't take 2 tackles to get onside like Debellin does !

WepnutV

Juniors
Yes indeed a good point.
I remember this succinct observation about JDB doing the rounds a couple of years ago and boy what a stink that created.
I think I may have said he often pranced back on side like he had a carrot up his arse and was far too often the last one to get back on side.
JDB hurts people when he tackles.. merrin is as soft as muffin, and looks like one too..

Ill give you 1 or 2.
He does not run direct enough or take the line on. (prefers to run at angles).
He is creator with his passing and sometimes short kicking game..and a good goal kicker. He is a 5/8th and good at creating opportunities. Norman is a sort of replacement like for like but better at field goals and is trying to take the line on a bit more. What I will say with Norman he can fool opposition more when he is trying to create. Norman will be a good replacement if he can stay switched on all the time as he is ATM. BIG IF. Widdop was consistent.
How often have you ever seen Widdop throw a dummy pass or a show and go or back a player up who has got through a gap ready to support a run-away try or look for someone to put him into a hole
Sorry Frank not a centre
Widdop was always what he was at Melbourne a good link man with a slick passing game.
Not the main playmaker we tried to make him.
Could kick goals but was not good when clutch plays were needed.
Not a good captain IMO.
From what I can see, Norman takes on the line much more and is actually more dominant than Hunt who is hiding for some unknown reason.
Norman digs into the line and causes problems for defences.
Ran for nearly 100m again on the weekend.
Not to mention he can kick golden points.

Dragsters

First Grade
Merrin at his best at prop would be handy.

Blocker to keep the lock duties and share with KSims when he comes back...

BLM01

First Grade
Widdop was always what he was at Melbourne a good link man with a slick passing game.
Not the main playmaker we tried to make him.
Could kick goals but was not good when clutch plays were needed.
Not a good captain IMO.
From what I can see, Norman takes on the line much more and is actually more dominant than Hunt who is hiding for some unknown reason.
Norman digs into the line and causes problems for defences.
Ran for nearly 100m again on the weekend.
Not to mention he can kick golden points.
I disagree with the Hunt hiding thing. Our left side is our go to attacking side especially when we dont have field position and it is clear Normie left / Hunt right side and the 1 out game plan made it look that way until they went to their go to plan left side attack. Hunts game plan for that game was to kick to corners etc and manage our sets mostly. Norman is better at the cute stuff but Hunt also tried 1 chip and chase I think that nearly come off and caught them napping but Dufty could not gather it in. It was somewhat of a surprise attack and nearly come off.
Hunt is more of a damaging runner at the line than Norman and we will see how he goes against the Dogs and hopefully gets or calls the ball and takes them on. Hunt certainly did not hide in defence, he made some good tackles against Newy. Dennis just the way I saw it.

Latest posts