What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Message from the CEO

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Dear Red V members and corporate partners,

It has been an eventful first four months for me here at the Dragons and although the learning curve has been steep, my focus remains on getting this club back into the top echelons of the NRL both on and off the field.

Last week the club parted ways with Paul McGregor who served the club in a variety of roles over a 25-year period. I am very proud of how the club handled the situation and cannot speak more highly of Paul in the way that he carried himself throughout.

His passion, work ethic, humility and generosity was exceptional. It was great to see the players perform as they did against the Eels and send Paul off in the manner he deserved. We wish all the best to Paul and his family for the future and know that he will always be part of the St George Illawarra Dragons family.

We welcome Dean Young in an interim capacity for the remainder of the season and after the win against the Broncos last Friday, we believe we will see more positive things from the team under his direction.

We now turn our focus to the appointment of our next head coach; the most important decision the club has made in recent times. There needs to be a level of confidentiality with a recruitment process such as this, but I can tell you that the key elements we are looking for in our next head coach are:

1. Strong discipline (needed for ongoing improvement);
2. Ability to develop young players (leverage our strength as a development club);
3. Defensively minded (defence is the bedrock of all successful teams); and
4. Comes from a culture of success (knows how to win).

Across the club we have undergone an in-depth strategic planning process which is nearing completion. We now have a set of overarching goals for the business and numerous actions that need to be undertaken in order to achieve them. The speed at which these actions can occur varies, but I hope everyone will start seeing improvements in all areas shortly. Every step is being measured and reviewed along the way to ensure that we are establishing a culture of continued improvement.

There are some good people doing great work and I believe with the right direction and leadership we can make some great leaps in the not-too-distant future.

Football

The last two months have been full of highs and lows. The team has shown that at their best they can compete with any team in the competition. However, their struggle to play at their best for a full 80 minutes continues to be their downfall at times.

It's worth noting that contrary to media reports Jason Saab has not been granted a release at the end of the season, although we will consider allowing him to depart on compassionate grounds if we were to receive a commensurate compensation in the form of a player and/or cash consideration.

We wish Euan Aitken all the best as he makes his way to the New Zealand Warriors in 2021. Euan has been a great servant of the club and I am sure he will be a valuable addition to the Warriors' roster.

Earlier this week, we confirmed that Mathew and Max Feagai have extended their time with the Dragons for a further season (until 2022) and have been promoted to the club's top squad as of next season. We look forward to announcing the re-signing of more of our other brightest young talent in the coming weeks.

Red V Membership

I wish to thank the thousands of members who chose to keep their membership with the club throughout the 2020 season. Whether it was in full or reverting to a non-match access membership level, every bit of support helps the club be better on and off the field.

To those members who have been able to attend our home matches – thank you. Although the environment is not what any of us are used to, your voices and support is felt and appreciated by the boys on the field.

Corporate partners

With the return of crowds to games it has been great to see some of our corporate partners enjoying the Dragons' game day hospitality. The support of our partners and their patience with the new game day rules and ticketing process are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming our partners to our remaining home games.

Our major partner St.George Bank recently conducted their Footy Grants program again. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, St.George were able to reposition the existing program from helping the footy community to play to helping them survive financially. Additionally, St.George doubled its commitment from last year, increasing the funding pool to $200,000, in their efforts to galvanise our grassroots communities. It is a great program and another reason why we are proud of our association with St.George Bank.

NRL Women's Premiership

Our NRLW program will begin in late-August with an eye towards Round 1, which is again set down for the first week of the NRL finals. All NRLW games will be played before NRL matches with the grand final to be played prior to the NRL grand final. Our Dragons squad of 22 players is being put together and will be finalised in the coming weeks. The NRLW team will be placed under Apollo protocols by the NRL for the duration of the competition.

Indigenous Round

I wanted to make mention of the fantastic efforts of our staff around the recent Indigenous Round, in particular, to their work on the production of our fantastic Indigenous jersey that I believe was the best of any club.

Finally, thanks to everyone for your continued support of the club. Please take care of yourselves and those around you as we continue to make our way through these challenging times.

Yours faithfully,
Ryan Webb
CEO - St George Illawarra Dragons

denis preston

First Grade
Great read.Loved the bit about . "Ability to develop young players (leverage our strength as a development club) & "Comes from a culture of success (knows how to win)."
This has got to rule out Young , surely ?

Perhaps they did ( or at least Webb ) take heed of what Gould had to say , which was what we have been saying for years !

TruSaint

Referee
Great read.Loved the bit about . "Ability to develop young players (leverage our strength as a development club) & "Comes from a culture of success (knows how to win)."
This has got to rule out Young , surely ?

Perhaps they did ( or at least Webb ) take heed of what Gould had to say , which was what we have been saying for years !

Webb never got to see the Gould so called "review".

Puff

First Grade
Dear Red V members and corporate partners,

It has been an eventful first four months for me here at the Dragons and although the learning curve has been steep, my focus remains on getting this club back into the top echelons of the NRL both on and off the field.

Last week the club parted ways with Paul McGregor who served the club in a variety of roles over a 25-year period. I am very proud of how the club handled the situation and cannot speak more highly of Paul in the way that he carried himself throughout.

His passion, work ethic, humility and generosity was exceptional. It was great to see the players perform as they did against the Eels and send Paul off in the manner he deserved. We wish all the best to Paul and his family for the future and know that he will always be part of the St George Illawarra Dragons family.

We welcome Dean Young in an interim capacity for the remainder of the season and after the win against the Broncos last Friday, we believe we will see more positive things from the team under his direction.

We now turn our focus to the appointment of our next head coach; the most important decision the club has made in recent times. There needs to be a level of confidentiality with a recruitment process such as this, but I can tell you that the key elements we are looking for in our next head coach are:

1. Strong discipline (needed for ongoing improvement);
2. Ability to develop young players (leverage our strength as a development club);
3. Defensively minded (defence is the bedrock of all successful teams); and
4. Comes from a culture of success (knows how to win).

Across the club we have undergone an in-depth strategic planning process which is nearing completion. We now have a set of overarching goals for the business and numerous actions that need to be undertaken in order to achieve them. The speed at which these actions can occur varies, but I hope everyone will start seeing improvements in all areas shortly. Every step is being measured and reviewed along the way to ensure that we are establishing a culture of continued improvement.

There are some good people doing great work and I believe with the right direction and leadership we can make some great leaps in the not-too-distant future.

Football

The last two months have been full of highs and lows. The team has shown that at their best they can compete with any team in the competition. However, their struggle to play at their best for a full 80 minutes continues to be their downfall at times.

It's worth noting that contrary to media reports Jason Saab has not been granted a release at the end of the season, although we will consider allowing him to depart on compassionate grounds if we were to receive a commensurate compensation in the form of a player and/or cash consideration.

We wish Euan Aitken all the best as he makes his way to the New Zealand Warriors in 2021. Euan has been a great servant of the club and I am sure he will be a valuable addition to the Warriors' roster.

Earlier this week, we confirmed that Mathew and Max Feagai have extended their time with the Dragons for a further season (until 2022) and have been promoted to the club's top squad as of next season. We look forward to announcing the re-signing of more of our other brightest young talent in the coming weeks.

Red V Membership

I wish to thank the thousands of members who chose to keep their membership with the club throughout the 2020 season. Whether it was in full or reverting to a non-match access membership level, every bit of support helps the club be better on and off the field.

To those members who have been able to attend our home matches – thank you. Although the environment is not what any of us are used to, your voices and support is felt and appreciated by the boys on the field.

Corporate partners

With the return of crowds to games it has been great to see some of our corporate partners enjoying the Dragons' game day hospitality. The support of our partners and their patience with the new game day rules and ticketing process are very much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming our partners to our remaining home games.

Our major partner St.George Bank recently conducted their Footy Grants program again. Given the COVID-19 pandemic, St.George were able to reposition the existing program from helping the footy community to play to helping them survive financially. Additionally, St.George doubled its commitment from last year, increasing the funding pool to $200,000, in their efforts to galvanise our grassroots communities. It is a great program and another reason why we are proud of our association with St.George Bank.

NRL Women's Premiership

Our NRLW program will begin in late-August with an eye towards Round 1, which is again set down for the first week of the NRL finals. All NRLW games will be played before NRL matches with the grand final to be played prior to the NRL grand final. Our Dragons squad of 22 players is being put together and will be finalised in the coming weeks. The NRLW team will be placed under Apollo protocols by the NRL for the duration of the competition.

Indigenous Round

I wanted to make mention of the fantastic efforts of our staff around the recent Indigenous Round, in particular, to their work on the production of our fantastic Indigenous jersey that I believe was the best of any club.

Finally, thanks to everyone for your continued support of the club. Please take care of yourselves and those around you as we continue to make our way through these challenging times.

Yours faithfully,
Peter Griffin
CEO - St George Illawarra Dragons

Did Pete send you that email? Id check the sign off again if I were you

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes his message was quite informative , more so about just what type of coach the Dragons need and that certainly leaves 1- Dean Young out off the equation .

He can learn from the new chap who WILL be coming from a winning culture and also has a strong defensive ability .

It must be going to cost the Gordon’s a hell of a lot to secure the services of Craig Bellamy ?

getsmarty

Immortal
saab-200717_gt_088.jpg

DRAGONS

Price put on Saab release ahead of de Belin court date
Author
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 27 Aug 2020, 07:26 PM
walshdan-head.png

The Dragons' release of promising winger Jason Saab to a rival club will require a player swap or transfer fee being paid as Jack de Belin prepares for his latest appearance in court.

De Belin will appear in Wollongong Local Court on Friday where a ruling on legal argument in his criminal case is expected.

Friday's proceedings will determine if and when a trial date is scheduled, with de Belin's playing future dictated accordingly.

The Dragons face serious competition from the Warriors for his services should he be able to play in 2021.

His uncertain future holds significant influence over St George Illawarra's roster as the club looks to appoint Paul McGregor's long-term successor in the next month.

Meanwhile, Saab's early exit from the last two years of his Dragons deal is contingent on the club not being left empty-handed by his departure.

Saab has been pushing for a release on compassionate grounds for much of 2020.

The 19-year-old has struggled with a three-hour daily commute to Wollongong for training and family circumstances that prevent him moving closer to the club's headquarters.

Dragons officials have met with Saab's management multiple times throughout the year but have been unable to resolve the impasse.

Saab has fielded interest from several Sydney rivals including Wests Tigers and Manly over the course of 2020, but the Dragons preference is for a player swap to hasten his release.

"It's worth noting that contrary to media reports Jason Saab has not been granted a release at the end of the season," CEO Ryan Webb wrote in an update to Dragons members on Thursday.

"Although we will consider allowing him to depart on compassionate grounds if we were to receive a commensurate compensation in the form of a player and/or cash consideration."

NRL.com understands that the Dragons are not necessarily chasing a like-for-like replacement for Saab, with reinforcements on the edges and in their middle forwards stocks also a roster priority.

Saab has stressed that welfare concerns are driving his push for a release despite struggling for game time, with the 199-centimetre winger behind Mikaele Ravalawa and Jordan Pereira in the club's pecking order.

Utility Tristan Sailor faces a similar predicament and has been unable to get a run under interim coach Dean Young after playing the final three games of McGregor's tenure.

The 22-year-old son of former dual-international Wendell Sailor is yet to begin contract talks with the Dragons and may well have to move on to see regular first grade at the end of 2020.

sailor_rc1_7936.jpg

Dragons utility player Tristan Sailor. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
Queensland Origin prop Christian Welch remains a front-row target with a three-year deal reportedly tabled, while Melbourne are also bidding to hang onto him with a two or three-year contract of their own.

Webb's message to members confirmed the key elements underpinning the Dragons coaching recruitment process, with an emphasis on "strong discipline", the "ability to develop young players", being "defensively minded" and coming "from a culture of success".

In the same memo, Webb referenced the imminent re-signing of "our brightest young talent in the coming weeks."

NRL.com understands the Dragons are poised to lock in several up and coming SG Ball players, having earlier this week elevated twins Max and Matt Feagai to next year's top 30 squad and re-signed the pair until the end of 2022.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/27/price-put-on-saab-release-ahead-of-de-belin-court-date/

LINESPEED

Juniors
I truthfully cannot remember the last time one of our CEOs came out and actually told us what was happening at the club, and did so in such an honest manner. It seems the dog days are over boys!

Oh when the Saints...

Yes it took a while for Webby to hit his straps

- and I think the catalyst was when the Gordons put the cue in the rack re McMate

....as they finally succumbed to the relentless pressure applied by The Fans
(And Andy has a glass jaw)

PS
Deano is not the coach to ‘develop juniors’

& his absolute focus on ‘training’ attitude over skill & potential (even though he admitted to cutting favourite Rav some slack)

reminds me of why Lafai & Aitken blocked the juniors for 5 years.

Conservatism ain’t a good quality in an NRL coach these days Dean

Remember to incorporate the word ‘contingencies’ into your playbook
wherever you end up?

BTW
Nice one Steven Marsters
(Playing well ‘amongst men’
...as some posters might say?)

- yet another thriving debutant
from a coach with balls

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Yes it took a while for Webby to hit his straps

- and I think the catalyst was when the Gordons put the cue in the rack re McMate

....as they finally succumbed to the relentless pressure applied by The Fans
(And Andy has a glass jaw)

PS
Deano is not the coach to ‘develop juniors’

& his absolute focus on ‘training’ attitude over skill & potential (even though he admitted to cutting favourite Rav some slack)

reminds me of why Lafai & Aitken blocked the juniors for 5 years.

Conservatism ain’t a good quality in an NRL coach these days Dean

Remember to incorporate the word ‘contingencies’ into your playbook
wherever you end up?

BTW
Nice one Steven Marsters
(Playing well ‘amongst men’
...as some posters might say?)

- yet another thriving debutant
from a coach with balls

Linespeed need to be fair here.Young never said training attitude overruled skill & potential.That is a Possum type assumption. It's interesting that he does value it though.Does it suggest that he witnessed the former coach ignoring some favorites slacking off in training ?
I mentioned earlier this year the response by supercoach to Host's request for feedback on what areas he needed to work on after another demotion last season. He was told to "work harder " he said but i am in the top 10% in most of the stats. Dufty said similar as well. Evidence here that Mcgoodbloke rather cement relationships than make a player challenge themselves.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Linespeed need to be fair here.Young never said training attitude overruled skill & potential.That is a Possum type assumption. It's interesting that he does value it though.Does it suggest that he witnessed the former coach ignoring some favorites slacking off in training ?
I mentioned earlier this year the response by supercoach to Host's request for feedback on what areas he needed to work on after another demotion last season. He was told to "work harder " he said but i am in the top 10% in most of the stats. Dufty said similar as well. Evidence here that Mcgoodbloke rather cement relationships than make a player challenge themselves.
Think your on the money there Dennis! May have something to do with a few players that have exited the joint; certainly the former coach’s poor bench rotation management and rigid team selections over seven years may well point to what you are highlighting; nothing to do with recruitment at all!

Last edited:

Latest posts