What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Message to U20 side...Go left

The Engineers Room

First Grade
For anyone that gets to the games early enough to catch the NYC game. Have they been coached to play exclusively to the right because it truly is a dumb tactic. The most dangerous player in the side out wide is Loko and simply cannot get the ball, the amount of times the ball dies with a small backrower is ridiculous. Once again last night it happened but this time they had play the ball mid field trailing by 6 with numbers to the left and the ball went to Brien on the right wing who meekly took the tackle on the siren.

SDM

First Grade
Yeah, he probably should have gone and stood next to the right winger.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Re: Message to U20 side...Go left
Go west, life is peaceful there
Go west, lots of open air
Go west, to begin life new
Go west, this is what we'll do
Go west, sun in winter time
Go west, we will do just fine
Go west, where the skies are blue
Go west, this and more we'll do

TheParraboy

Staff member
Re: Message to U20 side...Go left
Go west, life is peaceful there
Go west, lots of open air
Go west, to begin life new
Go west, this is what we'll do
Go west, sun in winter time
Go west, we will do just fine
Go west, where the skies are blue
Go west, this and more we'll do

damm you casper, I was gonna post a youtube link on that :lol:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Yeah totally agree - Loko should pull his finger out a bit and go infield. That way his opposite number doesn't need to bother defending out wide anymore and can come into the middle and pulverize our weenie forwards even more!

If he's being picked as a center, he needs to stay in the centers - the ball needs to be throw out to him and Pat O'Hanlon needs to stop "intercepting" the ball as they are spreading it wide to Loko.

Noa

First Grade
Melbourne used to go right all the time to try to open up the left (for Inglis) on the 4th tackle. Problem with this is teams knew this so they rushed up to shut down his space. Maybe this is whats happening with Loko, who would already have a massive rep.

PS. And centers going looking for the ball is never the correct responce.gl

Last edited:

oldmancraigy

Coach
Oh - I ALSO meant to say that Loko ran the ball more than ANYONE else in the team on Saturday night. It's not like he's not TRYING to be involved (many times he took hitups 1 off the ruck of out of dummy half)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Loko's main issue is his work rate. He doesn't do enough. He reminds me so much of Tony Williams its not funny. If the kid became hungry for work and came mid field more, ran inside lines, helped the forwards, etc etc, the kid would develop very very quickly.

Right now he's doing the same thing over and over. Gets the ball, stands up his opponent, goes left and fends off the winger to create space on both sides. Very effective and very Inglis like, but thats all he does! He looks bored to me.

Look at Luke Burt for example. He's a left winger but he often comes in field to act as a second man to Hayne on set plays.

Bazal

Post Whore
Haven't seen Loko this year but the games I saw last year he was very lazy. Very, very much reminds me of Tony Williams....devastating when he wants to be, but happy to bludge out wide all game too. Great players create opportunity, they don't wait for it to be handed to them.

That's not to say I don't rate him, mind you. I just think he needs to involve himself.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Im sorry but that's an awful coaching philosophy.

Melbourne used to go right all the time to try to open up the left (for Inglis) on the 4th tackle. Problem with this is teams knew this so they rushed up to shut down his space. Maybe this is whats happening with Loko, who would already have a massive rep.

PS. And centers going looking for the ball is never the correct responce.gl

The problem is that they just keep going to the right. On the occassions that they went left they made breaks or plenty of metres when it got to Loko. You can't blame Loko if the ball never makes it to him. If he has to go in field for it then the inside men aren't doing their job.

The whole point of the fast strong guy in the centres is to get him the ball with less defence, if he has to take dummy half runs in the middle of the field that is an awful coaching strategy.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Look at Luke Burt for example. He's a left winger but he often comes in field to act as a second man to Hayne on set plays.

Do you reckon he does that because he wants to or because the coach has told him to?

Does it mean Burt has a higher "work rate" if he does what the coach says?

For the record, he's not infield anywhere near as much as you say he is - very occasionally a play will be called requiring Burt in the middle.

Perhaps Loko stands out wide and runs into gaps and attempts to put his winger away because that is exactly what good centers do? They're not props; they're not second rowers; they're not 5/8s --> a team NEEDS someone to play center.
To me, Loko looks like he might be a very good center. Superb strength, good footwork and speed - and if he's doing the things he's being coached to do - great ability to do what coach says!

Hope he goes well for Wenty this week.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Just focussing on this post, watch this and tell me that Loko shouldn't be coming in field.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzblBHVsuV8

He's devastating!

I am not saying he shouldn't come in field, I am saying that he should have to always come in field to get the ball and that the ball needs to get to the left sometimes to get more advantage of him against outside backs.

The centre for the Cowboys had no answer to him and going left more often would have yielded better results. After a few goes to the left to Loko they could look to go to him and hit the inside runner or cut out to the winger or kick in behind. He is a weapon that is vastly under utilised.

Latest posts