What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

WireMan

Bench
Hair bands and hard rock bands *were* metal at some dark, depressing point of the 80s. But the genre has evolved so we can conveniently brush them aside into the 'glam' genre...but tbh...grey area.

The genre will change, but it doesn't mean they are not part of the genre and should not be swept under the carpet.

Hair Metal bands like Motley Crew and Ozzy deserve more respect for there contribution to the overall metal Genre than most bands posted on this thread.
Whether you actually like there stuff or not.

favourite bands?
Parkway Drive, Slipknot, Stone Sour, The Butterfly Effect, Tool, Trivium, Soulfly, RATM, Mudvayne, Ill nino, Korn, Bullet for my Valentine, Machine Head, Killswitch Engage, Alexis on fire, deftones, disturbed, sevendust, static x.

There is a shit tin more, too many to list, I would have around 60 or so metal artists in my itunes list.
favourite genre/styles?

Hardcore, Metalcore, Nu Metal, Prog rock

can't stand...

70s/80s metal. Cant stand bands like ACDC, Iron Maiden, Metallica etc. They bore me. I couldnt give 2 shits if these were the founding fathers of the genres we have today.

how did you get into metal?

In grade 8, funnily enough if you read what I just wrote. Someone had a walkman with Metallica's reload album on it, and I thought the memory remains sounded cool. Then I got into Korn and slipknot and the rest is history.

upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?

None planned, I dont think where I am at the moment allows metal bands. But I haven't seen Parkway Drive live yet and am super keen to catch them one day.

recommend a band/album!

Floating Me - Aussie prog rock band with members from Cog, Birds of Tokyo
Electric Horse - Ex members from the Aussie band Sunk Loto
Thousand Needles in Red - Clint boge from the butterfly effects side project

I like to promote Aussie rock. Check em out.

HevyDevy

Coach
It's always a down side of going to metal gigs.. Wankers everywhere. It's a pity that the genre attracts a certain type of person in such large numbers.

Really? At metal gigs? I find it to be the complete opposite. Love the metal crowd and for the most part the musos too. Much more down to earth than others.

Backstage at Immortal a few years back was one of the great nights.

HevyDevy

Coach
Standard youtube comment on metal video "[band] is for old merkins/androtops, [OTHER BAND] IS f**kING AWESOME!"

I was just reading some of the old threads...arguments about what actually qualifies as metal are always amusing :lol:

Yes, I agree that Nu-metal isn't metal ... :D

HevyDevy

Coach
This year, Soundwave will have that "Black Veil Brides" nonsense...
Though I can't complain. If you count Dimmu Borgir as goth, I loved them last year.

Dimmu aren't goth mate.

Incidentally I noticed someone said they didn't like black metal earlier on but I was curious as to what sub-genre they were referring to specifically - traditional Norwegian? Symphonic black metal? Whatever it is Cradle of Filth are classified as? There are a shitload of different types of black metal ...

HevyDevy

Coach
The genre will change, but it doesn't mean they are not part of the genre and should not be swept under the carpet.

Hair Metal bands like Motley Crew and Ozzy deserve more respect for there contribution to the overall metal Genre than most bands posted on this thread.

Since when was Ozzy even related to hair metal?

redvscotty

First Grade
Emo is not what it used to be. Once upon a time the Ataris were the pinnacle of emo shit, and now its crap like my chemical romance.

I hate the way all goths ever in the history of the world think they are lord voldemort.

Zigwaa

Bench
Dimmu aren't goth mate.

Incidentally I noticed someone said they didn't like black metal earlier on but I was curious as to what sub-genre they were referring to specifically - traditional Norwegian? Symphonic black metal? Whatever it is Cradle of Filth are classified as? There are a shitload of different types of black metal ...

It was me, mostly because watching the metal show on Channel V back in the day (Amped) had heaps of norwegian black metal like Immortal, Stryricon, Emperor some others I can't remember.

I don't mind the odd Cradle of Filth song but on a whole not into Black metal. So i guess it's not that I can't stand it, it's just I don't like it.

HevyDevy

Coach
Well each to their own I guess. Personally I believe Immortal to be one of the all-time great bands (plus Abbath kept giving me beers), but all good.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I record Headbangers Ball every week but honestly, some of the bands are hardly metal.

Mong

Post Whore
It was me, mostly because watching the metal show on Channel V back in the day (Amped) had heaps of norwegian black metal like Immortal, Stryricon, Emperor some others I can't remember.

I don't mind the odd Cradle of Filth song but on a whole not into Black metal. So i guess it's not that I can't stand it, it's just I don't like it.

Does anyone else remember that channel being called Red prior to V or did i make that up?

melon....

Coach

Yeah good point. Ive seen Crue live and they are OK for what they are. Mick Mars aint too bad. Skid Row probably fall into that category too.

Yngwie and Vai - as solo acts go pretty well too.

There was a hard rock band in teh 80s that were a Led Zep rip off call Kingdom Come.

Check it out (I actually have this self title album on Vinyl at mums LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj5I3TIeRPM&feature=related

Zigwaa

Bench
Does anyone else remember that channel being called Red prior to V or did i make that up?

Yeah it was called Red prior to Channel V. The had to change the name coz a band (I think it was Frenzal Rhomb) challenged Jabba to come on stage at the Big Day Out and moon the crowd or something which he did, which attracted a lot of criticism :p. He had to apologise and the station changed it's name. Pretty over the top if you ask me. :lol:

Latest posts