What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metal thread \m/

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I'm impressed with Pete for mentioning Orphaned Land.

I keep my Orphaned Land CDs between by Burzum and Graveland ones.

Guys, add soundcloud/youtube links to your recommendations so people can check them out, I just added them to mine.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
Yeah I'm big into my black metal and particularly my Norwegian black metal. Ironically I've never been much of a Mayhem fan but love Immortal, Emperor and darkthrone. Varg is a bit love and hate - I would NEVER play it to anyone that wasn't hugely into metal - but the track det some en gang var is a classic. Too bad he was a headcase.

Bathory - A Fine Day to Die. Enough said.

The rule growing up was always:
Norwegian - Heavy. :cool:
Swedish - Soft.
Finnish - Urgh.

Early Burzum is good, Det some is a very good song as is some of the Aske album. War is a very accessible song. My fave songs are Dunkelheit and Jesus tod from the Filosofem album.
The later stuff i'd never even play to anyone.
Don't like him as a person, he goes from Satanist, to Nazi, to Odinist to what ever else is hip. He has nothing to say, and his impact in black metal is very overrated..
Ihsahn from Emperor is a more interesting guy.

Mayhem were good whilst Euronymous was still alive. Deathcrush is only short and Mysteries is actually a good album compared to normal metal albums. Not really that black at all except in the lyrics (which you can't hear, as is the way of Black metal). Pagan fears is a nice little ditty.

He died just before that album was completed.

Mortiis was always good for a laugh, if you wanted to goth out.

Jeses Tod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Px2eeXEA74

Incidentally, I've spent a bit of time with Zakk Wylde on a few occasions and he is a very interesting man. Intense at times, particularly since Dimebag's death which really rattled him, but also a lovely bloke. Always gives you a hug and says 'Keep well brother' when you leave.

Never met him, but he does come across as a nice guy.
They should give him a part on Sons of Anarchy.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The rule growing up was always:
Norwegian - Heavy. :cool:
Swedish - Soft.
Finnish - Urgh.

Wouldn't call the swedish school of Black Metal soft- just genrally less interesting than the Norwegian stuff, the predominant swedish sound seemed to be stuff like Marduk/Setherial/Dark Funeral, hyperspeed, moderately well produced but fairly formulaic. All those bands have their moments though. Finnish BM tends to be weirder, comes from not really being the predominant style in Finland I guess.

Early Burzum is good, Det some is a very good song as is some of the Aske album. War is a very accessible song. My fave songs are Dunkelheit and Jesus tod from the Filosofem album.
The later stuff i'd never even play to anyone.
Don't like him as a person, he goes from Satanist, to Nazi, to Odinist to what ever else is hip. He has nothing to say, and his impact in black metal is very overrated..
Ihsahn from Emperor is a more interesting guy.
Yeah, love Burzum, though Varg is a twat. Undeniably brilliant composer in his pre-prison days though, personal favourite tracks would be Det Som Engang Var (off Hvis Lyset...), A Lost FOrgotten Sad Spirit and Beholding the Daughters of the Firmament. Can't say I find Ihsahn that interesting as a person, great musician and articulate guy though.

Mayhem were good whilst Euronymous was still alive. Deathcrush is only short and Mysteries is actually a good album compared to normal metal albums. Not really that black at all except in the lyrics (which you can't hear, as is the way of Black metal). Pagan fears is a nice little ditty.

He died just before that album was completed.

I like both early and later Mayhem, they've never been afraid to evolve and experiment. Blessed to have had three genuinely unique and extreme vocalists too, just a shame that Dead only really recorded two proper studio tracks with them before shooting himself. The version of Freezing Moon with him on vocals is chilling.

Mortiis was always good for a laugh, if you wanted to goth out.

I rather like his earlier, more minimalist albums, not so much the later, more goth/darkwave stuff. His troll getup is hilarious though.

sydraider

First Grade
Really? At metal gigs? I find it to be the complete opposite. Love the metal crowd and for the most part the musos too. Much more down to earth than others.

Backstage at Immortal a few years back was one of the great nights.

Haha Dude, you had a smile from ear to ear!

HevyDevy

Coach
Haha Dude, you had a smile from ear to ear!

Mate it was a classic. The dude comes into the dressing room and says "Right time for the band to have some space - everyone else out"

Abbath looks at me and my mate and goes "Really? No, well thanks so much for coming along and please take as many beers as you can carry before you head off!"

Awesome bloke.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Favourite bands: Opeth, Devin Townsend, Strapping Young Lad, Lamb Of God, Chimaira, November's Doom, Vader, Dimmu Borgir, Amon Amarth, In Flames, Andromeda, Animals As Leaders, Chaos Divine, Septicflesh, Dream Theater, Ghost Brigade, Heaven Shall Burn, ICS Vortex, In Mourning, Children Of Bodom, Leprous, Mastodon, Omnium Gatherum, Mind Jey, Scar Symmetry, Deep Purple, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Soilwork, Sworn Amongst, The Sword, Threat Signal, The Unguided, Vanden Plas, Kataklysm

How I got into metal: I used to love punk and nu metal. One day I heard some music off "Ride The Lightning" and I became hooked. Acca Dacca helped too.

Favourite genres: anything, really. I guess thrash and black aren't featured heavily in my usual lists but I
love all metal. At the moment I am really digging melodic death, death and progressive.

Favourite things about metal: the drumming, the guitar work and the overall musicianship.

Recommend an album:

Animals As Leaders - "Weightless"

Three guys (including Tosin Abasi, a freak). Incredible jazz-fusion sounds.

Ghost Brigade - "Until Fear No Longer Defines Us"

Really into this Finnish band. Catchy riffs and great melodies. Loved their last two albums.

Vader - "Necropolis"

Love this album. Maybe not their best work, but it is brutal.

favourite bands?
Rollins Band, Dillinger Escape Plan, System Of A Down, Converge, Iwrestledabearonce, Hatebreed, Raised Fist

favourite genre/styles?
Hardcore

can't stand...
Straight Edge ie Parkway Drive and anything by Michael Crafter

how did you get into metal?

I went to the eminem concert back in the day and his support was Australian metal group Superheist

upcoming gigs you're looking forward to?
Soundwave
System Of A Down
Henry Rollins

recommend a band/album!
Battlecross
Amon Amarth
Iwrestledabearonce

Spud

Juniors
favourite bands?
Kyuss, Mastodon, Electric Wizard, Alice In Chains, Black Sabbath, Tool, Monster Magnet, 80's Metallica, Deftones, Bad Brains, Mammal

favourite genre/styles?
Stoner, Thrash, Funk Metal

can't stand...
AC/DC, Guns & Roses, Glam

Can't honestly remember, always liked certain bands.

none on the horizon

recommend a band/album!
Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
Monster Magnet - Spine of God
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Mammal - The Majority

aphelion

Juniors
favourite bands?
Limbonic Art, Immortal, Vader, Kataklysm, Marduk, (old) Emperor, (old) Mayhem, Nokturnal Mortum, Impaled Nazarene, Dark Funeral, Nile, Fear Factory (sans their garbage years between "Obsolete" and "Mechanize"), Rammstein (again, sans the boring years) and too many more to name.

favourite genre/styles?
Black and Death metal. Though these days I'm listening to metal only about half the time, and I've gotten into EBM and Industrial in a big way. It's a shame that Industrial Metal turned out to be such a disaster of a genre, because it had some real potential as well as being a mix of my favourite styles.

can't stand...
Metalcore!!! By that I mean today's garbage, not the good old school hardcore influenced metal out of New York like Brutal Truth and early Biohazard. I also can't stand Tech Death/Mathcore stuff. Soulless technical wankery, the lot of it, as well as sounding like each member of the band is playing a different song at the same time. If I want wankery, I'll listen to fruity Euro power metal.

When I was a kid in the late 80's I watched Video Hits and Rage and thought all the glam clips were awesome, I wanted to be C.C De Ville so badly! :lol: My progression went something like this: Glam > Guns N Roses > Metallica/Megadeth > Pantera > Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse/Death metal in general > Impaled Nazarene/Immortal/Black metal.

Not many apart from G3 and Henry Rollins' spoken word gigs. Hoping to catch some quality Euro stuff when I'm over there later this year. Saw Absu 2 weeks ago and they killed it.

recommend a band/album!
Limbonic Art - In Abhorrence Dementia (will totally change your prejudices regarding symphonic BM, it's not all Dimmu Borgir)
Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice Of Steel (put aside their political views, this is easily one of the most impressive albums of the last 5 years, and this is coming from someone who isn't a huge fan of experimental stuff)

Mong

Post Whore
recommend a band/album!

Agalloch-Ashes Against the Grain. Download it NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

Did just that.. I can see if you are stoned it may be interesting but otherwise it's pretty boring IMO.

Kept waiting for it to go somewhere but it never did.

What genre would they come under?

adamkungl

Immortal
Did just that.. I can see if you are stoned it may be interesting but otherwise it's pretty boring IMO.

Kept waiting for it to go somewhere but it never did.

What genre would they come under?

Agalloch are usually black/folk metal, haven't heard that album though

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Its more post metal. They change up the style alot. Pale Folklore is a more traditional black metal album but with folk and post metal influences, the mantle continued that and had A LOT of acoustic parts and Ashes Against the Grain is pretty much an entirely post metal album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGlbFdvgius&feature=related This is an example of one of the more folky tracks off The Mantle.

I can understand why a person wouldn't like Post Metal because it goes up and down but I think Limbs is one of my favourite ever songs. I just like the atmosphere and the vibe they produce. Good times.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I'm impressed with Pete for mentioning Orphaned Land.

Mabool is such a beautiful album. Also the line FIND YOURSELF DISCOVER GOD is just great on El Norra Alila. It is one of the reason the internet is so great because i wouldn't have ever heard of them otherwise. I just downloaded it randomly one night years and years ago.

NIce to see a bit of WITTR love in this thread, they're awesome. I doubt your dad likes them though Pete, given what massive greenies they are ;)

Check out Altar of Plagues, judging by your tastes they'd be right up your alley. Long, epic drawn out post-black metal type stuff.

Will do.

Blind Guardian ftw

I am not big into power metal but Blind Guardian have the most infectious melody ever. Andre Olbrich seems to focus more on melody than wankery which is alright by me.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I just bought Lamb Of God's new album, "Resolution"...I highly recommend it. I know they don't have many fans here (not sure why tbh) but IMO this new album is close to their best work.

Wooden Spoonar

Juniors
Rammstein, Pantera, Lamb of god, Sep/Soulfly, Slipknot, Zombie, Fear Factory, Machine head, some Dimmu Borgir, Metalica........ Whatever is sounding good at the time

Latest posts