What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Metcalf / Tracey

DJDL

Bench
I thought Metcalf was outstanding yesterday, particularly in the first half.
The guy showed more at five eighth in the first 20 minutes than Tracey has in his entire time there.

Hopefully that's the end of the Tracey at 6 experiment.
And I don't think he's a centre either. For mine, the position he's showed the most promise is wing. At the start of the season I'd have never thunk it, but that's how it seems to me.

I've been thinking for a few weeks now I'd like to see Metcalf / Moylan start at 6 with Tracey on the wing and Ronnie in the centres.
Ronnie grew up playing centre and is on record saying he never played wing until his NRL debut. It's a shame he got injured, as I'd be interested to see how handled the switch over the last couple of games.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Conner on Katoa side might be an issue defensively but Katoa might get a pass that way.

Bob Scott

Juniors
I don't care if Metcalfe starts at prop , he has to be involved , electric and stuff happens around him , him and Kennedy give teams are x factor players defences have to watch .
If he has a kicking game , i don't know enough about him and only seen him for the first time a couple of weeks ago , then him and Hynes are the all action half pairing for the future , Hynes has a kicking game which i'm sure he will developing in the off season .

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I thought Metcalf was outstanding yesterday, particularly in the first half.
The guy showed more at five eighth in the first 20 minutes than Tracey has in his entire time there.

Hopefully that's the end of the Tracey at 6 experiment.
And I don't think he's a centre either. For mine, the position he's showed the most promise is wing. At the start of the season I'd have never thunk it, but that's how it seems to me.

I've been thinking for a few weeks now I'd like to see Metcalf / Moylan start at 6 with Tracey on the wing and Ronnie in the centres.
Ronnie grew up playing centre and is on record saying he never played wing until his NRL debut. It's a shame he got injured, as I'd be interested to see how handled the switch over the last couple of games.
Agree with most of that except I think you’ll find Tricky is being groomed as the long term half assuming he keeps improving and it’s just a matter of who his partner is. Metcalfe was very good yesterday and I like what I see but to put it in perspective it was the Tigers and they were very ordinary. I think Tracey is either a winger or out and out 14 if Ronnie and Big Sexy are available. Very glad we didn’t sign Connor Tracey given the early signs of Metcalfe.

Weaponhead

Coach
Tracey's strengths are speed, hard running and involvement. He takes a great hit up getting out of trouble. He brings energy missing in a number of other players in the current team.

Defence and positional play can be suspect. This means centre may not be the best fit due to decision making required to jam or slide and need for strong contact to defuse try scoring situations.

For mine he remains a good squad player who can cover injuries.

Metcalf was great yesterday. It was a perfect game for him to debut. Fast track against a poor defensive side where he could run with no fear. Defence wasn't tested too strongly but he turned out too quickly at times. This is to be expected this early in his career. He is electric and I can see him as a 14 next season.

DJDL

Bench
Agree with most of that except I think you’ll find Tricky is being groomed as the long term half assuming he keeps improving and it’s just a matter of who his partner is. Metcalfe was very good yesterday and I like what I see but to put it in perspective it was the Tigers and they were very ordinary. I think Tracey is either a winger or out and out 14 if Ronnie and Big Sexy are available. Very glad we didn’t sign Connor Tracey given the early signs of Metcalfe.

Agreed on all points.

R-15-3

Bench
Fitz has lots of good headaches now thanks to Metcalf. After 1 game may have just saved us wasting salary cap on another half. IMO Metcalf is our starting 6-7 with Nicho. Trindal is improving and could do a solid job but can’t see him as one of the top half’s in the game. Metcalf on the other hand looks like he can be am out and out star. That extra speed is something the next gen players need. If Fitz can work a game plan out to suit them both in the half’s behind a dominant pack we skyrocket into contention in 1 season.
He did make 1 poor defensive decision and got lucky but besides that he sticks to defenders, seen him organising defenders around him on who to take and reads it well. Yes my phones covered in tadpoles.

DJDL

Bench
Tracey's strengths are speed, hard running and involvement. He takes a great hit up getting out of trouble. He brings energy missing in a number of other players in the current team.

Defence and positional play can be suspect. This means centre may not be the best fit due to decision making required to jam or slide and need for strong contact to defuse try scoring situations.

For mine he remains a good squad player who can cover injuries.

Metcalf was great yesterday. It was a perfect game for him to debut. Fast track against a poor defensive side where he could run with no fear. Defence wasn't tested too strongly but he turned out too quickly at times. This is to be expected this early in his career. He is electric and I can see him as a 14 next season.

Agree on all of that as well.

Chimp

Bench
I’d like us to sign a gun centre and go with a back line/spine of;

1 - Kennedy
2 - Katoa
3 - NEW SIGNING
4 - Ramien
5 - Ronnie
6 - Hynes
7 - Trindall

9 - Brailey
13 - McInnes

But I suspect Tracey will be at 3, so he better get that defence sorted in the off season.

If Moylan could stay fit, a halves pairing of him and Hynes would be electric. Be great to see more of Metcalf in the coming weeks and see if he makes himself undroppable. He looks a younger, faster Moyza.

A spine of Kennedy, Metcalf, Hynes and Brailey would cause some serious running threat. Kicking might be an issue though.

Bob Scott

Juniors
Lots of differing opinions which is great , suddenly we have a number of players scrapping for key positions , this only does one thing , make everybody lift their games , got to be a good thing for us .

Windy70

Juniors
Metcalf was exceptional yesterday on debut. Way too early to call anything on him except that we know he has it. But can he produce against all levels of pressure and adapt to different opposition? Dunno yet.

Consistency is what I dream of. A stable halves pairing, A consistent kicking game and our outside getting fed the opportunities they deserve. We have had halves that run hot cold and deep frozen for so long I have not had a punt this year on any game. Never had any idea either way before kick off really.

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
I can’t see it being anything but a Trindall Hynes pairing tbh. But to have Metcalfe and Moyza breathing down their necks is a good thing. Looking forward to seeing more of Metcalfe both this year and next. Nice problem to have tbh.

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Next week, its Metcalf at 6 for me. Him and BT looked absolutely brilliant together.

Connor can go to wing to cover for Ronnie. This causes minimal disruption as possible and gets everyone in what I believe is their best positions.

Id keep Moylan at 14 for added spark. He was very good yesterday.

Next year will be very interesting.

DJDL

Bench
I'm not sure about his long kicking game, but he seems to have a towering bomb on him, his attacking kicks to the corners seem pretty good and I've seen him put in a couple of short kicks to the in-goal which produced results.

Aside from that, I also noticed he is very vocal in pointing players around in attack and calling plays.
For mine, in the limited time he's had so far (and based on what I saw in the trials), he is the pick of our halves coming through.

I do agree though that a Trindall / Hynes pairing seems more likely at this stage. But it will be interesting to watch how it plays out.

chewsta

First Grade
What is Metcalf's contract situation with us? I thought it was trial based or only a year, to see how he went? Plus he wasn't even in the top 30 at the start of the year from memory.
They might want to lock him up a bit longer, because a lot of clubs will be watching him now.

Latest posts