What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Bevan

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I honestly think he's not just a one dayer legend, he would make a great test player now. His batting average in Tests is only at 24, but Langers was 22 when he got back into the squad.

I reckon Bev deserves to be in that Test squad ahead of Martin Love and Darren Lehmann. Bev is a better batsmen in my opinion than both of these and is also a better bowler and fielder. He can come in at 6 or 4 and handle that job. He should be looked at to fill Steve Waugh's spot at 5 when he retires at the end of this summer.

Talk about a bloke who's been over looked.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Personally i wouldnt mind Bev back in the test team, he is one the most underated cricketers going around, but I doubt theyll go with him though. He is more suited to the one dayers. But you never know

BEVAN is a one-day legend. :D

El Diablo

Post Whore
Go the Bevmeister :D

Katich is probably a better move for now in Tests seeing he's a tad younger.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's gotta be stated that with his batting record, he is the best one day player ever.

I think his form for NSW in the extended version of the game has been great. His first class average is well over 50, whereas Love's is around 45 I think. And bevan's been playing longer too-making his record more impressive I reckon. The man deserves a shot with the baggy greens.

Anonymous

Juniors
There is already enough contraversy over age in the Australian team ATM.

Brett Lee and Ricky Ponting are the only 2 players ubder the age of 30.

Australia needs to blood some young talent soon, ie Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, or else Australian cricket will wither away.

This may sound harsh for Bevo, but he had his chance.

Doctor

Bench
I hate to break it to you but Katich is 28 - I don't consider that young.

Michael Clarke is the only truly young guy in form - he simply must be given a chance at Test cricket in the next 12 months.

As for Bevan - just like senior state batsmen like Hayden, Lehmann and Love, he needs to make a mountain of runs every year to force his way back in, and even then the competition is too great. He is 34 next year, only a few months younger than Lehmann, yet it took Lehmann several very solid seasons of batting to force his way into the side.

Bevan's form is fantastic, easily warranting a call-up to a normal international side. But when you're behind big names, there just isn't enough positions for him. Even his Pura Cup average of 76 last year won't be good enough unless he starts scoring double centuries left, right and centre, and gets some injuries in his favour.

Even Love is turning 30 next year - wheras Clarke's youth works for him, and he must be given a chance.

He should be looked at to fill Steve Waugh's spot at 5 when he retires at the end of this summer

He won't be retiring at the end of this summer - he will go to India for one last time as captain, just to complete what will be a great captaincy and batting career. One of the all time greats, a stoical competitor.

Anonymous

Juniors
No 28 isn't young (In Cricketing terms), but its younger than 34.

These elder statesmen are going to have to score a mountain of runs if they want a test recall.

The Australian selectors will be going for youth in the not too distant future, take my word for it.

Michael Clarke will be the next full time batsman to be introduced, either after Waugh retires or should a bad injury cripple someone that holds down a spot in the Australian line up.

ozbash

Referee
bevan ?? hardly test material .

tho if they throw him in the deep end against the might of zimbabwe he might go ok.

may even set a record or 2 :lol:

Mighty Tiger

Bench
The problem with Bevan really is his shoulder now. I mean had his shoulder been ok and he could throw down at least 20 overs a day he would be great value.. Lets face it the Australian team dosn't need another batter in the line up they are after someone who can be crowned as a mid based all rounder a guy who can bowl about 20 overs at quick pace for a small amount of runs allowed.

I think Bevan was unlucky not to have played a big part of his career in the test arena but many before him have been hard done by and no doubt many after him will be as well. Just look at Jamie Cox as a prime example :roll:

El Diablo

Post Whore
ozbash said:

tho if they throw him in the deep end against the might of zimbabwe he might go ok.

The Bevmeister is one of only four Aussies to have scored a half century and taken ten wickets in a test match. He did that v the Windies and had he scored a tad faster he may of got a century as he ended up on 88 not out, I think.

Who could forget thst game v the Kiwis at the MCG when he saved the day for Aus. One NZ paper went off half cocked and printed their morning paper thinking the game was in the bag and said NZ won :lol:

Never discount the Bev factor.

Doctor

Bench
El Duque said:
ozbash said:

The Bevmeister is one of only four Aussies to have scored a half century and taken ten wickets in a test match. He did that v the Windies and had he scored a tad faster he may of got a century as he ended up on 88 not out, I think.

Who could forget thst game v the Kiwis at the MCG when he saved the day for Aus. One NZ paper went off half cocked and printed their morning paper thinking the game was in the bag and said NZ won :lol:

Never discount the Bev factor.

I've never been impressed by Bevan's bowling credentials. Even his 10 wickets was against an out-of-form Windies side who never looked like challenging for the series.

His bowling fluctuates between over-pitched, and long-hops. Perhaps it is o.k in short spells, but I wouldn't want to rely on him to win me a Test - give me Lehmann's nudies ( but otherwise well-pitched deliveries) anyday.

But Bevan knows how to bat - he averaged 60 last season from a handful of matches, scored a double century, and is a damn fine ODI middle-order rescuer. He is statistically Australia's best ever ODI batsman - you can't argue that he cannot bat.

But an allrounder? I'm not convinced, especially with Australia's batting and bowling strength - if he averaged 50 batting and 25 bowling then he might get the gig - otherwise; not thanks.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Bring it home Knights said:
The main reason why beven has had a limited test career, is because he couldn't handle the short pitch bowling of test cricket.

That's a myth.

Doctor

Bench
I think more so it was his inability to handle the West Indies back in the late 90s. He spent a whole series dodging and weaving well-pitched balls. When he struggled to handle the short-pitched stuff, it went down in the history as an indication he couldn't handle short pitched bowling, which is unfair.

Bevan can play short pitched bowling - no batsman in Australia will get very far if they can't handle this type of bowling because 90% of first class grounds in Australia are condusive to fast, short pitched bowling.

Bevan's Pura Cup average of 76 last year speaks volumes of his ability to handle any type of bowling - if Bevan had a weakness in this department, then the surplus of fast bowlers in this country would have exposed it already.

A form slump in international cricket that saw Bevan struggle against short pitched bowling only indicates exactly that - he was out of form.

Latest posts