What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Maguire backs John Sutton's move to forwards as he trumps Bob McCarthy

Michael Maguire backs John Sutton's move to forwards as he trumps Bob McCarthy

League News
Date April 1, 2014 - 9:04PM

• Brad Walter

Chief Rugby League Writer

Setting the pace: John Sutton with club legend Ron Coote and coach Michael Maguire. Photo: Anthony Johnson

South Sydney captain John Sutton will revert to five-eighth in his record-breaking 212th match for the foundation club but Rabbitohs coach Michael Maguire remains confident the decision to move him to the forwards will eventually prove to be the right one.
    Sutton will pass Bob McCarthy as the most capped Souths player when he leads a revamped line-up onto the SCG in Saturday night's match against St George Illawarra but, after three consecutive losses, the focus within the Rabbitohs camp is on results rather than creating history.
    "It is a big thrill and it is great going past Bob," said Sutton at a media day to promote the first NRL match at the recently renovated SCG. "He is a legend of the game, so to do it out here on the weekend is going to be a big honour for myself but, in saying that, I just want to get the win for the team."
    As a result of the losses to Manly, Wests Tigers and Canberra, Maguire has shifted Sutton to five-eighth, with Dylan Walker shuffling out to the centres and Bryson Goodwin to the wing in place of Lote Tuqiri, who has paid the price for a below-par performance against the Raiders on Sunday.
    Sam Burgess has moved from prop to lock, with Dave Tyrrell taking his place up front and Ben Te'o regaining his starting second-row berth but, regardless of how the team performs, Maguire has faith in the changes he prepared the team for during the pre-season.
    "I do," he said. "If you look at round one, that is how we went into that first game, so hanging on to the ball is a good start. If we do that a bit more and give ourselves an opportunity, we can explore those changes we made.
    "In saying that, we have the ability to go back to John in the halves so we are exploring everything. We are an improving team, as much as it is probably not showing on the field as yet in the way we are performing."
    Sutton's return to five-eighth will relieve pressure on halfback Adam Reynolds, whose kicking game against the Raiders appeared indecisive at times, and Walker will benefit from more room out wide.
    With star hooker Issac Luke last week undergoing shoulder surgery, the Rabbitohs did not have the space that he usually creates from dummy half and have named under 20s rake Cameron McInnes on a six-man bench as well as last week's debutant Apisai Koroisau.
    "I will play wherever Madge wants to play me," Sutton said. "Everyone knows our structures so we just have to get back to doing that."
    Under contract to the Rabbitohs until the end of the 2017 season, Sutton said he would reflect more on his milestone when he retires. He said the achievement was something he and his family were proud of.
    "With the way we have been going, I haven't really thought about it but it is going to be a great honour for myself to lead the boys out and to become the most capped player," Sutton said.
    "Growing up in the area, I supported Souths and my family supported Souths so it is going to be a great achievement for myself."
    Maguire said it was a record that Sutton would hold for a long time.
    "It is amazing that, in all these years, they haven't had a 300-game player but that is just the way the club has been and it is going to be a tough mark for anyone to beat," he said.
    "John is very humble and he just wants to make sure the team is doing well. I am sure in years to come he will look back and realise what he has actually achieved.
    "I am proud to have an opportunity to be a part of this, particularly playing here at the SCG and with John breaking records. They are memories you can't buy – as a coach or as a player."
    * Dragons coach Steve Price has welcomed back NSW Origin fullback Josh Dugan (knee), prop Dan Hunt (knee) and halfback Michael Witt (shoulder) from injury for the match.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ob-mccarthy-20140401-zqpeu.html#ixzz2xdMyjN9o

Big Sam

First Grade
He should stay there until Keary's back. Can't afford to have geriatrics in the backline by moving Walker to 6.

Maguire's halves experiment shelved

By James MacSmith
AAP
7:45pm Tue 01st April, 2014

Souths coach Michael Maguire has returned John Sutton to five-eighth after attempting to shift him to lock during a tough start to 2014. Copyright: Grant Trouville/NRL Photos

South Sydney coach Michael Maguire has returned his Rabbitohs side to their default setting with captain John Sutton recalled to the halves.
Maguire brought in a raft of changes to his struggling NRL side on Tuesday, which has suffered three successive losses after their big round one win over premiers the Sydney Roosters.
Those changes included abandoning his halves experiment of Dylan Walker and Adam Reynolds.

Maguire has also dumped veteran winger Lote Tuqiri and back-rower Ben Lowe from the side that lost to Canberra 30-18 on Sunday.
Bryson Goodwin moves from the centre to take Tuqiri's spot on the wing, Ben Te'o moves from the bench into the starting 13 with Sam Burgess moving into Sutton's spot at lock.
Jason Clark returns from an ankle injury onto a 19-man Souths bench which also includes Alex Johnston and Cameron McInnes.
Despite the troubling losing streak, the longest in his tenure at the club, Maguire was backing his players to return to form.
"It has been disappointing but we as a group are the ones that have to dig ourselves out of it," Maguire said at a promotion for the Men of League Heritage Round at the SCG.
"Souths has been built on working hard, even before my time. It is a tough club. We are obviously going through a tough period at the moment, we are not enjoying it.
"The way the players are training at the moment is not transferring onto the field, we know we are capable of playing a lot better."
"We are an improving team - as much as it is probably not showing that on the field as yet, the way we are performing."
"Hanging onto the ball would be a good start."
Sutton will renew his halves combination with Reynolds that has been so successful over the past two season with Dylan Walker moved to the centres for Souths' round five clash with St George Illawarra at the SCG on Saturday night.

http://www.nrl.com/maguires-halves-experiment-shelved/tabid/10874/newsid/77279/default.aspx

Looks to be about as good a side as we can name at the moment. If we put in another meek performance then I think we will definitely see some heads rolling by Tuesday next week.

I reckon Merritt and Reddy are very lucky to still be there...

Zigwaa

Bench
You mean more heads will roll. Ben Lowe and Lote have been rissoled already with Champs before them. Good to see he's not afraid to make the tough calls.

Merritt needs to step up his involvement but I don't think he is playing badly as such. Reddy just seems to be a passenger out there.

Merritt isn't playing terribly. He just adds nothing nowadays.

He hasn't scored a try in an age, his defence is suspect as he rushes in off his wing and he gets absolutely dominated bringing the ball back from kick returns.

His best asset was always his blinding pace and that looks to have left him now. We need some strike out wide and Merritt just doesn't have that anymore.

Sutton to Break Club Record in Men of League Heritage Round

Words: Tom Skolarikis I Video: Chris Beavon
Tue 1st April, 04:35PM A A

The 2014 Men of League Heritage Round may celebrate the history of the game, but in 2014, it will see history made when John Sutton breaks the Rabbitohs’ all-time appearance record when he steps onto the SCG this Saturday against the Dragons.
Sutton was joined by Coach Michael Maguire, Club legend and President of the Men of League Foundation, Ron Coote, as well as the Dragons’ Steve Price, Josh Dugan and Immortal Graeme Langlands, to launch the annual round that not only celebrate history, but will this year see an historic co-operation between the two famous Clubs.
To read more about the co-operation, please click here.
The Dragons and Rabbitohs have played a total of 678 games at the SCG (St George Illawarra 359, South Sydney, 319) – more than any other Clubs in the game with more Dragons and Rabbitohs premiership matches played at the ground than any other contest between two clubs.
For Sutton, the honour of breaking Bob McCarthy’s Club record at such a historic venue is not lost on him, but despite the hype, the Rabbitohs skipper is adamant that he is focussed on victory.
“Personally, it’s a great achievement for myself,” said Sutton.
“It’s great going past Bobby (McCarthy) – he’s a legend of the Club and of the game, and to do it out here on the weekend is a big honour for myself.
“In saying that, we just want to get the win on the weekend.”
The sense of occasion wasn’t lost on Michael Maguire either, with the Rabbitohs mentor proud and honoured to be able to step into the ground as Coach for the first time.
“To be able to be a part of this, my first time as a coach – to coach at the SCG – it’s a real honour actually,” said Maguire.
“It’s an iconic figure right around the world, so I’m really looking forward to it and I know the players are looking forward to it as well.”
Flanked in the SCG’s Members Pavillion by one of McCarthy’s Rabbitohs, NSW, and Test teammates in the form of Ron Coote, the sense of history and occasion was there for all to see. Coote highlighted the importance of the Men of League Heritage Round ahead of the match.
“Every year we build on the heritage round,” said Coote.
“We help coaches, referees, players and their families who have fallen on hard times. We’re very proud of our record and what we’ve done, who we’ve helped and this round will be another opportunity for the Men of League to raise funds to go towards those people.”
To find out more about the Men of League Foundation, please click here.

Will you be there to support'Sutto' and witness history? Tickets are available now!
Tickets
A $25 ticket for an adult and child will be on offer for this weekend’s Dragons v Rabbitohs 'Men of League Heritage Round'
Fans will be able to purchase the special “Generation Pack” ticket for the Sydney Cricket Ground match on Saturday.
The special offer is aimed at celebrating Heritage Round by encouraging parents and grandparents to take a child to the league and share in the game’s rich history.
Members passes for both the Dragon and the Rabbitohs (Premium and Plus) will also be accepted on the day thanks to reciprocal rights, with the same agreement in place for the round 12 clash at ANZ Stadium.
In another win for fans, 2500 tickets to sit in the new SCG Members (Noble) stand are also available.
For all game day information including how to purchase tickets, please click here.

Stand Above the Rest:
WEB: Click here
PHONE: Membership Team on 1300 SOUTHS (1300 768 847)
IN PERSON: Visit the Membership Team at Level 4 261-265 Chalmers Street Redfern (M-F 9am-5pm)
If you have any questions in regards to our packages, please don't hesitate to contact the Rabbitohs Membership Team on 02 8306 9922 or membership@rabbitohs.com.au.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/20...b_record_in_men_of_league_heritage_round.html

GI Cordial

Juniors

He hasn't scored a try in an age, his defence is suspect as he rushes in off his wing and he gets absolutely dominated bringing the ball back from kick returns.

His best asset was always his blinding pace and that looks to have left him now. We need some strike out wide and Merritt just doesn't have that anymore.

100% Different kind of Rabbit About Merritt. Wingers are main part of the Team take load off Forwards with hit ups and must score tries which are lacking, work load stats from last game vs Canberra on our Backs efforts.

Runs Metres Tackles Missed Tackles
N. Merritt 7 runs 47mts 0 tackles 1missed
L. Tuqiri 14runs 138mts 2 tac 1missed
J. Reddy 6 runs 51mts 20 Tac 0missed
B. Goodwin 11runds 105mts 13 tac 2missed
G. Inglis 19 runs 238mts 5 tack 0 missed

At least Lote does twice as much work, what effort does Merritt give in a game. Yes I know Lote made errors which lead to tries hence getting dropped. However Merritts effort for 80mins is poor. GI just does far to much work to be effective.

Last edited:

souths_pride

Juniors

Im not so sure if I agree with that! He rarely rushes in off his wing? Yes sometimes souths get caught out on Merritt's wing when Souths defend with a compressed line but Merritt very rarely flies in off his wing (except in State of Origin Game II last year). Where he may be defensively suspect is in his tackling ability but thats been the case throughout his career..its nothing new..so theres no need for anyone to start criticizing him on it now!

I thought he had quite a decent game against Manly! I agree that his best asset is his blinding pace but I dont agree that its left him..he made a couple of good solid line breaks against Manly! I also think he is relatively safe under the high ball...I lost count of the amount successful bombs he defused last season...It funny how you mention that he gets dominated when he brings the ball back from kick returns! I still believe he can do that but not while hes on the wing...Ive always though his best position is full back but is forced to play out on the wing because of G.I. I remember the game against Parra a few seasons ago where we smashed them and he scored 5 tries or something...he absolutely carved them up down the centre of the field..his support play was top-class as well! I think the problem is when hes on the wing he has to run in field when he fields the ball because he doesnt have the strength to run the back ball from out wide due to the likelihood of him being pushed into touch..As a result of this it gives defenders a couple of more seconds to move up and close him down; valuable seconds which he'd have when played at fullback.

souths_pride

Juniors
100% Different kind of Rabbit About Merritt. Wingers are main part of the Team take load off Forwards with hit ups and must score tries which are lacking, work load stats from last game vs Canberra on our Backs efforts.

Runs Metres Tackles Missed Tackles
N. Merritt 7 runs 47mts 0 tackles 1missed
L. Tuqiri 14runs 138mts 2 tac 1missed
B. Goodwin 11runds 105mts 13 tac 2missed
G. Inglis 19 runs 238mts 5 tack 0 missed

At least Lote does twice as much work, what effort does Merritt give in a game. Yes I know Lote made errors which lead to tries hence getting dropped. However Merritts effort for 80mins is poor. GI just does far to much work to be effective.

Nathan Merritt as a winger..pure and simple...he gets the ball over the tryline; thats his job!...yes wingers CAN take alot of pressure off the forwards but thats not really part of the tactics Michael Magurie implements...he likes the forwards to cart the ball up hard and get the opposition the back foot..hence the back are used to good effect when the opposition defensive line is out of position..its a smart tactic because it doesnt require world class three-quarters to carry it out! I agree with you 100% wingers can be used almost as extra forwards..players like Uate do it brilliantly! However the problem with this is those wingers cost $$$$$ and our money is invested in the forwards...ive said it before in another thread...under the present salary cap conditions its impossible to have a star studded line up from 1-17 like the Canberra and Brisbane teams of the 1990s..every team has weak areas! The mistake I believe we made was letting Dylan Farrell go...I dont know the money he is on at St George but he is class! However, if we ever had to get another winger and splash the cash..I'd go for Josh Mansour..hes a real handful in attack...very powerful in defense..solid under the high ball..and can pop up anywhere on the field..only weakness is he's a bit injury prone!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Gotta agree that Merritt should probably hang up the boots should we sign a marquee outside back, the only thing he offers is anticipation which can only be backed up by speed, which he has lost. He's a club and tryscoring NRL legend but should retire before form prevents him from gaining a position in the 17.

On the flipside, i've been quite impressed by young Kyle Turner, should have a permanent bench spot by the end of the year, he made a few great runs against Canberra. Does anybody have his stats from the gmae?

GI Cordial

Juniors
Gotta agree that Merritt should probably hang up the boots should we sign a marquee outside back, the only thing he offers is anticipation which can only be backed up by speed, which he has lost. He's a club and tryscoring NRL legend but should retire before form prevents him from gaining a position in the 17.

On the flipside, i've been quite impressed by young Kyle Turner, should have a permanent bench spot by the end of the year, he made a few great runs against Canberra. Does anybody have his stats from the gmae?

16. K. Turner 3 hit ups 31 mtrs 12 tackles 1 missed

Maguire Reflects on Sutton's Achievement

Wed 2nd April, 04:40PM

Rabbtohs Head Coach Michael Maguire took time out to reflect on John Sutton’s breaking of the Club’s all-time appearance record this Saturday at the SCG.
In a history that spans 106 years boasting some of the game’s greatest names – including the current holder of the record, Bob McCarthy – it will fall to Souths Junior and current Rabbitohs skipper, Sutton, to become the Club’s most capped player, an achievement that Coach Michael Maguire finds astounding.
“It’s an amazing moment really,” said Maguire.
“To be a part of players reaching career highs – particularly of this stature – I think it’s pretty amazing. Hopefully he has a great game in breaking the record, but there’s many more games to come.”
“Bob McCarthy is such a great of our game – he spends a lot of time here with us and I love listening to his stories about the old days – but it’s about trying to forge those good days ahead and John Sutton’s been a big part of that.
“When I first arrived, I sat down with John and spoke to him about his career and really sort of looked at how we could improve him as a player and a person and how he wanted to build himself inside the Club.
For the Rabbitohs mentor, the word passion is a recurring theme when describing his Captain and his best moments. Passion not only for his Club, but for the game he has played for much of his life.
“He’s just a passionate South Sydney player that just loves playing footy,” said Maguire.
“He enjoys being out there on the park with his teammates and you can see that in the way he plays.
But it’s not just his passion according to Maguire. Sutton’s unique leadership qualities – crafted during a career that has now spanned a decade that makes him uniquely South Sydney.
“At times when he stands up in games – it’s needed,” said Maguire.
“He really, really works hard and you see him just absolutely waste himself at times through games. That typifies John – he just wants to get better and better and just see the team do well.”
Will you be there to support ‘Sutto' and witness history on Saturday? Tickets are available now!
Tickets
A $25 ticket for an adult and child will be on offer for this weekend’s Dragons v Rabbitohs 'Men of League Heritage Round'
Fans will be able to purchase the special “Generation Pack” ticket for the Sydney Cricket Ground match on Saturday.
The special offer is aimed at celebrating Heritage Round by encouraging parents and grandparents to take a child to the league and share in the game’s rich history.
Members passes for both the Dragon and the Rabbitohs (Premium and Plus) will also be accepted on the day thanks to reciprocal rights, with the same agreement in place for the round 12 clash at ANZ Stadium.
In another win for fans, 2500 tickets to sit in the new SCG Members (Noble) stand are also available.
For all game day information including how to purchase tickets, please click here.

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/04/02/maguire_reflects_on_sutton_s_achievement.html

<LI class=item>

Souths Juniors President Keith McCraw on John Sutton

Thu 3rd April, 12:21PM A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

The eyes of Souths Juniors President, Keith McCraw, have overseen many a player rise from nappy-grade, to the heights of the NRL and international stardom. This Saturday, McCraw will witness John Sutton’s name forever etched in Rabbitohs history when he becomes the Club’s most capped player.

“I’m so proud of him,” said McCraw.
“To pass 200, it’s just a huge achievement for anyone, but to be the one that holds the record at a club with the tradition of South Sydney, it’s just an outstanding achievement.”
The achievement is particularly special for McCraw when he considers the long list of legends that Sutton has now surpassed in the appearance stakes – even more-so given that those at the pointy end are all Souths Juniors.
“When you consider he leads a club of Bobby McCarthy, (Craig) Tugger Coleman, Eric Simms and Nathan Merritt – who have all played 200 games for this great Club – what makes me proud is that they’re all South Sydney Juniors.”
Before becoming President of the famous Club, McCraw was Souths Juniors’ Development Officer – an ever-present and familiar face at grounds throughout the district. It was in this capacity that he came to know John Sutton.
“I’ve known John more or less since he came into the footy family at about six years of age,” said McCraw.
“Sutto made all of our development squads as a 13, 14, 15 year old, played Junior Bunnies and then went into the Harold Mathews Cup, went on to the SG Ball and got graded at a really young age.
“He was showing that he always had the stature to be a first grader, but you never know at that stage. He certainly stayed at it and we are here where we are today because of that.”
The young Sutton certainly had a task standing out in one of Souths Juniors’ most famously successful junior sides, in the form of the Kensington United Dragons that won the Premiership on 10 successive occasions up until the under 16’s (seven seasons of which they were undefeated).
McCraw says that Sutton is a fine example of what happens at Souths Juniors, and the Juniors Chief is confident that he is overseeing the next batch of John Sutton’s.
“I think that we are currently overseeing the next batch of John Suttons to be quite honest.
“The thing about South Sydney Juniors is that the licensed club that dedicates so much money to it makes it a sport that’s affordable for all,” said McCraw.
“I think that a lot of kids that might not have had the opportunity have been provided it through the Club itself.
“You only have to look at our record – we’ve produced more than 60 internationals and 43 of them Kangaroos. It’s just a great district for football and it’s happening again this year. We’ve got great kids coming through once again.”
To find out more about Souths Juniors and how you can sign up to play rugby league for a Souths Juniors club, please click here.
Will you be there to support ‘Sutto' and witness history on Saturday? Tickets are available now!
Tickets

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/20...s_president_keithe_mccraw_on_john_sutton.html

Sutton set to break Rabbitohs record

By Jack Brady
NRL.com
12:20pm Thu 03rd April, 2014

As the Men of League Heritage Round looms and a cracking game between the Rabbitohs and Dragons at the historic SCG beckons, humble Rabbitohs captain John Sutton will break a 36-year-old record by stepping out for his 212th first-grade game &#8211; the most appearances ever by a South Sydney player.
Currently equal with club legend Bob McCarthy, 29-year-old Sutton will break the record at a venue synonymous for hosting the Rabbitohs over the foundation club's 106-year history.
Standing on the edge of the SCG surface, it all seems to hit Sutton as to how big an achievement it truly is. But the skipper remains more concerned about how his team fares this weekend in what has been an indifferent start to the season by the Rabbitohs.
"Personally it's a great achievement for myself &#8211; but in saying that we haven't been playing good footy lately and I just really want to get out there and get the win this week," Sutton told NRL.com.
"We haven't had the best start to the season &#8211; I haven't been really focused on [the record] but now we've been talking about it more it's just hit home. I'm going to enjoy it and hopefully we can get the two points."
Get your Round 5 tickets now
While his team is of the most concern at this crucial point of the season, Sutton said he was honoured to break the record as club captain.
"It's going to be special and I can't wait to get out there," Sutton said.
"I was happy just to play one NRL game and now I've got 212 coming up. It's a huge achievement for myself but in saying that I'm looking forward to putting in a better performance than last week.
"To be captain now it's been good for myself. I think I've been really growing as a player since I've become captain. I've still got a lot to learn but I've been enjoying it."
And his stand-out memory over his decade-long career?
"My first-grade debut we played up in Brisbane and I scored a try so I was pretty happy. I think we got touched up &#8211; by 20 or 30 &#8211; but to score a try in your first game is one thing that really sticks out," Sutton recalls.
Expect Sutton to make more memories this season as he looks to help the Rabbitohs secure their first premiership since 1971 &#8211; starting this weekend against the Dragons.

http://www.nrl.com/sutton-set-to-break-rabbitohs-record/tabid/10874/newsid/77326/default.aspx

Souths legends come together to mark John Sutton&#8217;s record-breaking role for the Rabbitohs

• by: Nick Walshaw
  • April 04, 2014 12:00AM

BOB McCarthy played Wests on his wedding day.
Taking it, first, to those Magpies at Pratten Park before rushing across town, after the briefest of showers, to make his evening vows at St Benedict&#8217;s Cathedral.
&#8220;Got there without having lost any teeth, either,&#8217;&#8217; the 1970s great laughs. &#8220;Face was messed up a little but, yeah, otherwise our photos were OK.&#8221;
This, you should know, is what it means to be the most capped Rabbitoh ever.
An honour which, for all 45 years since retiring, McCarthy has worn like John Wayne did tin stars.
Bob McCarthy during his 1970s South Sydney heyday. Source: News Limited
Remembering that &#8216;Macca&#8217; was the kid who so loved South Sydney, he would spend Sunday mornings waiting for the wife of Burnie Purcell, club great and neighbour, to hoist that famous hooped jersey onto their old prop clothesline.
Who years later, in the &#8216;67 Grand Final, would himself become immortal with the greatest of intercept tries.
All up, his 211 games not so much representing South Sydney as defining it.
&#8220;Oh, if I think South Sydney, I think Bobby,&#8221; says John Sutton, the quiet Maroubra boy who will usurp McCarthy in the pantheon of greats.
&#8220;He won premierships, played Test footy, the lot. Plus that intercept try ... if you&#8217;re a Souths fan, you know it.&#8221;
And now it&#8217;s time to know Sutton too.
This shy, almost introverted, playmaker who, when initially featured at length by News Limited five years ago, whispered: &#8220;People ... they don&#8217;t wanna hear about me&#8221;.
But Sutto, they do.
For who better represents the Rabbitohs than a kid who once, during contract negotiations, added a clause saying should Souths leave the district, he could leave them?
A Kensington junior who stuck when the Bunnies were broke. When, even then, they had more dollars than wins.
A survivor who watched the club churn through coaches like he did laps of an Erskineville Oval so bad, the potholes were deep enough to break an ankle in.
&#8220;And I did once,&#8217;&#8217; he laughs. &#8220;Was in a cast for six weeks.&#8221;
yet still, Sutton stayed. An unwavering bond so strong, it convinced no less than Russell Crowe to make buy in.
Currently in Sydney to promote his biblical epic, Noah, Crowe revealed to News Limited how Sutton, in essence, is why he bought the Bunnies.
The Hollywood superstar shelled out $3 million, not just for this kid, but for this milestone.
A moment that, at the famed Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday, will see Sutton play game 212 against St George Illawarra.
&#8220;Watching John through the seasons has been a pleasure and a revelation,&#8217;&#8217; Crowe says. &#8220;From such a shy young man to the natural leader he is today ... you would be hard pressed to find a more committed player in the game.
&#8220;And in times past, Souths probably wouldn&#8217;t have been able to hold on to him. But with the restructure of the club in 2006, one of our principal goals was to retain and develop as many of our juniors as practical &#8212; and to make history like this possible.&#8221;Graeme 'Changa' Langlands returns to the SCG To access our Premium Content,
please subscribe, it's quick and easyIndeed, Crowe revealed that while &#8220;plenty of other clubs have come calling&#8221; for Sutton in his 11 years of NRL, the proud Bunny &#8212; a local right down to his Bra Boys tattoo &#8212; has refused them all. Bucking a &#8216;Runaway Rabbit&#8217; epidemic that, over the years, has claimed everyone from Braith Anasta and Craig Wing to Terry Hill, Jim Sedaris, even Ian Roberts.
But loyalty alone does not the greatest Rabbitoh make.
Just ask Dragons rival Trent Merrin, who labels Sutton &#8220;a footballing freak&#8221;. Or coach Michael Maguire, who praises &#8220;his want&#8221;. While as for big Bob McCarthy ... well, he appreciates how &#8220;all those old photos on our walls, John knows what they mean&#8221;.
&#8220;Oh, he understands the culture,&#8217;&#8217; Souths great Ron Coote concurs. &#8220;But for me, the biggest thing is how John has found consistency. That was the one thing we all questioned him on. But not anymore.&#8221;
Sutton has improved his consistency to prove his doubters wrong. Source: Getty Images
Maguire agrees.
Explaining how before arriving at Redfern two years ago, he too had heard &#8220;the talk&#8221;. Whispers about the inconsistency of a kid who, occasionally, required mum Elena to drag him by the ear from the Maroubra Bay Hotel.
&#8220;But what happened prior, it is what it is,&#8217;&#8217; the coach shrugs. &#8220;In terms of the past two years, what has stood out for me is John&#8217;s want. His want to learn, his want to improve, his want to win for this club.&#8221;
And as for Sutton himself?
Well, in a game notorious for eating grown men whole, he has survived. Thrived. Mixing talent and durability with an unshakable desire that, as a child, would see him cry when the opposition scored &#8212; even once when leading by 60.
Just don&#8217;t expect him to tell you.
No, despite being &#8220;extremely honoured&#8221; by the mark, Sutton remains the same kid who still doesn&#8217;t believe people want to hear from him. After all, this week he isn&#8217;t even the centre of attention in his own household.
&#8220;My sister Joanne, she had a baby Monday,&#8217;&#8217; he grins. &#8220;So Mum, she&#8217;ll be with her in Adelaide and won&#8217;t get back for the game.
&#8220;But they should be concentrating on other stuff too. They&#8217;ve got bigger things to worry about than about me.&#8221;

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...or-the-rabbitohs/story-fni3fbgz-1226873943122

Last edited:
Rabbitohs Players Talk Sutton Milestone

Fri 4th April, 03:00PM
A A http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/_jcr_content/par/newslist_95ce.rss

Rabbitohs players give their thoughts on the John Sutton breaking the Club's all-time appearance record, currently held by Bob McCarthy.

Teammates Greg Inglis, Adam Reynolds, Sam Burgess and Nathan Merritt reflected on Sutton as a footballer, a person, and a Club record holder, ahead of South Sydney’s Men of League Heritage Round clash against the St George Illawarra Dragons at the SCG.
When it comes to describing their Captain, his love for the Club is a common thread with all his teammates. Greg Inglis lead the chorus.
“He’s always been a terrific player,” said Inglis.
“We’ve become really good close mates over the years. Every single week I can see the way he presents himself and puts his time and effort into the Club because he’s one of those people that’s a Souths Junior who live and die South Sydney.”
Adam Reynolds, a fellow Souths Junior and Sutton’s halves partner since the 2012 season, praised the achievement of his partner in crime.
“I think it’s an awesome achievement for him,” said Reynolds.
“He wears his heart on his sleeve every week so for him to break that record – it’s pretty special and it’s an honour playing alongside him."
Sam Burgess added that, “it couldn’t have happened to a better bloke.”
“He’s South Sydney through and through, he loved this Club and it’s nice to see him going on to hold the record which I’m sure he’ll hold for a while.”
To watch the full video, including interviews with Greg Inglis, Sam Burgess, Adam Reynolds and Nathan Merritt, please press play on the video player.
Tickets

http://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2014/04/04/rabbitohs_players_talk_sutton_milestone.html

SaraSassypants

Juniors
I rate Reddy. I think I'm the only fan who has from the start. Defensively I think he's safe when playing centre and those stats reinforce that. Don't understand why people have been saying he should be dropped? Are they basing that on the performance where he was shoved onto the wing with Lowe playing at centre? Cause that's not really fair, Lowe's not a centre and his poor positional play caught Reddy out repetitively.