What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Maguire Tiger Town

Saint Angelo

Juniors
This guy is a dead-set nutter and I can't believe how much he swears in front of the camera. Imagine the language off camera.

This is what he said after the Tigers lost to the Titans in Round 9 after beating us the week before at WIN stadium.

“And f*** me, we won a f***ing game against St George. They’re f***ing down the bottom of the ladder too.

Not Exactly Madge. We were in 6th spot after Round 8 of the comp so get your F***ING facts right !!!!

dungay dragon

Juniors
This guy is a dead-set nutter and I can't believe how much he swears in front of the camera. Imagine the language off camera.

This is what he said after the Tigers lost to the Titans in Round 9 after beating us the week before at WIN stadium.

“And f*** me, we won a f***ing game against St George. They’re f***ing down the bottom of the ladder too.

Not Exactly Madge. We were in 6th spot after Round 8 of the comp so get your F***ING facts right !!!!

Sadly its a reflection on how we are regarded by opposition Clubs..
Even Clubs in a similar position to ours lump shit on us..

Dragon David

First Grade
What a drop kick! He knew it was being recorded and was happy to insult us.
Hope this is used as motivation for the next time we play them....and any other bottom 8 team.
Gotta say though that in a sense using us as a yardstick to compare their team against ours has some sort of merit when we know for a fact that we haven't been able to be consistent even though at the time we were ahead on the ladder. I am sure there are other clubs who are below us that feel the same as how Maguire depicts us. Even our players might have that feeling which would be a big problem to get out of their heads.

Maybe Hook should be giving it to our guys. Bellamy for instance would also be bellowing his thoughts out loud and using expletives to amplify his messages to the players to get their act right if they were even slightly out of synch.

SGMax

Juniors
Gotta say though that in a sense using us as a yardstick to compare their team against ours has some sort of merit when we know for a fact that we haven't been able to be consistent even though at the time we were ahead on the ladder. I am sure there are other clubs who are below us that feel the same as how Maguire depicts us. Even our players might have that feeling which would be a big problem to get out of their heads.

Maybe Hook should be giving it to our guys. Bellamy for instance would also be bellowing his thoughts out loud and using expletives to amplify his messages to the players to get their act right if they were even slightly out of synch.

I fully agree, except that I expect a little self control in front of a camera that is recording for public viewing.
Its a legitimate thing to say to your team in private, perhaps not so much when the team is above you on the ladder.

I expected a bit more character from an established coach, then again, after listening to his language, I think I gave him too much credit, especially having no impact on the Tigers after almost 3 years.
Foul language at times for effect is fine, but when it is constant it reflects on the person using it.

TruSaint

Referee
I fully agree, except that I expect a little self control in front of a camera that is recording for public viewing.
Its a legitimate thing to say to your team in private, perhaps not so much when the team is above you on the ladder.

I expected a bit more character from an established coach, then again, after listening to his language, I think I gave him too much credit, especially having no impact on the Tigers after almost 3 years.
Foul language at times for effect is fine, but when it is constant it reflects on the person using it.

The thing with Madge, is that the effect wears off too quickly. He can drive a team well for a fixed period. EG, Souths.

My guess is Bellamy uses similar language all the time. Just look at him in the coaches box.

Difference with Bellamy is that after so many years, he still gets through.

matPORTS

Juniors
I really do hope our players watched it - and if not then hopefully it gets shown at a video review session.

How many times in the last 11 years have we suddenly played dud teams back into form, despite being ahead of them on the table at the time? Agree - it is a reflection on how we are regarded by opposition clubs.

Dragon David

First Grade
Somehow I think that even if we were leading the competition on a regular basis like the Storm, there are those blasted teams who just lift and play all over us. Teams just love beating us like it is their grand final irrespective of where they are on the ladder.

We now don't have this superiority status anymore and play accordingly no matter how hard the coach tries to improve us.

I think on days when the players believe in themselves they can play really good footy and things fall into place but on many other days they just lose that psychological edge.

Just my opinion as usual.

TruSaint

Referee
Somehow I think that even if we were leading the competition on a regular basis like the Storm, there are those blasted teams who just lift and play all over us. Teams just love beating us like it is their grand final irrespective of where they are on the ladder.

We now don't have this superiority status anymore and play accordingly no matter how hard the coach tries to improve us.

I think on days when the players believe in themselves they can play really good footy and things fall into place but on many other days they just lose that psychological edge.

Just my opinion as usual.

Yep,

We need to become "relevant" again. At the minute, we are perceived (rightly so), as soft.

Dragon David

First Grade

It certainly isn't a good look to see someone who should be showing more control to use foul language to get some points across to the players especially in front of a television audience.

Using the Dragons as an example of a low team at least we are good for something (said in jest).

Saint Angelo

Juniors
yep, first thing Bennett did was to get pride in the jersey. We were perceived as soft before he took over and we were making finals regularly then. I’d rather lose knowing that sides hate playing us!

So true.

Wayne Bennett’s words of wisdom to Dragons squad during 2010 NRL Grand Final

“He walked in at halftime and he said, ‘Guys, when are we going to start playing like St George?’

Gareth67

First Grade
DFE9FEE5-BBB7-4F8A-9DF8-A1F019F350DD.jpeg

This is an extract from the Daily Telegraph on the 12th August 1967 - exactly 54 years ago today . As you can see Johnny Raper was in a hospital bed and was refused visitors , Brian Clay had a knee cartilage injury and Graham Langlands was also carrying an injury .

But they played the semi against the Rabbitohs where they were defeated 13- 8 . This sad sob story is not about where the Dragons were 54 years ago - in the semis , but just what type of men the mighty Dragons had playing for them .

Players who jumped out of a hospital bed , others on painkiller injections ( Clay and Langlands ) just to ensure that they done everything they could for the jersey that they wore . They wore it with pride , it meant so much to each of them .

That type of pride in one’s club , jersey and teammates , is the very essence of success , sadly it is a thing of the past . Damn shame we could not bottle that pride and inject it into our present team .

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
It certainly isn't a good look to see someone who should be showing more control to use foul language to get some points across to the players especially in front of a television audience.

Using the Dragons as an example of a low team at least we are good for something (said in jest).
Problem is if it is tame, no one watches it.
Blow ups emotion, drama and of course colourful language.
that's reality TV that so many like

That is why it is great watching Bellamy in the coaches box..
and then you have Hook chalk and cheese
Tiger supporters might watch it in hope or to feel good about where their club is heading, dont know if it works for them