What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Vaughan should have shown some Balls

I don't think Michael Vaughan could have had a better opportunity to go 2-1 up against Australia in an Ashes series, but I think he has blown it by not having the ticker to declare earlier.

If he had left Australia with a glimpse of hope of winning the game he probably would have found that they would have played a few shots and probably got out. Now all Australia have to do is occupy the crease for a day which I'm sure they will do. He needed a good 2 hours at the Aussies last night. I'm sure Australia would have taken a draw on Friday night. Vaughan has all but handed it to them by not having the balls to risk losing.

Fortune favours the brave.

stuke

Bench
that is the difference between the 'good' and the 'great'.

Vaughan seems to have worried to much about NOT losing the test rather than winning it and given the Aussies the perfect opportunity to claim the draw and work upon their batting.

that is what made Taylor and Waugh such good captains for Australia....they pushed for the win regardless, even if they had to give the opposition a chance while doing it and showed their teams the faith and expectations that they held for them.

aussies1st

Staff member
Sadly I think the game has lost all the captains that would give a compeitive declearation. Oh well I have always wanted Aus to claim one last record (most runs in 4th inns to win)

aussies1st said:
Sadly I think the game has lost all the captains that would give a compeitive declearation. Oh well I have always wanted Aus to claim one last record (most runs in 4th inns to win)

I think Punter, despite his disgraceful captaincy this series would give an aggressive declaration.

PARANoIR

Bench
I agree. Vaughan should've showed his hand abit earlier and declared earlier to make it a match. He needs to show more faith in his attack.

aussies1st

Staff member
With an attack like England's why wouldn't he. They have been going great. I guess Punter would have given an agressive declearation given he has Warne the best exponent of a 5th day wicket and McGrath (who showed what he could do yesterday) at his disposal.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
we'll find out soon enough

if they bowl us out tonight, it could turn out to be a good decision

sanjane

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
I think Punter, despite his disgraceful captaincy this series would give an aggressive declaration.

Yeah, remember him setting Pakistan 564 or stg to win??? Also, he tried to bowl out SL in abt 2 sessions, despite being 300+ in front! Aggressive captaincy!

What Vaughan did was right. He's got the bowlers to get 10 wickets today provided the weather is fine. Also, I think he needed to get 400plus. Imagine if Aust won chasing 250 or stg, he would be crucified by everyone.

It's an Ashes series, boys. You need some sort of a buffer.

aussies1st

Staff member
You wouldn't set 250 that is just stupid. Something in the 300 range would have keep Aus interested.

lockyno1

Post Whore
aussies1st said:
You wouldn't set 250 that is just stupid. Something in the 300 range would have keep Aus interested.

I would have said 350! At least then you have the batting side "thinking" they can make it. As a bowling side you have more chance of dismissing the side if you set them a hard, but chaseable target. Take the second test for example. Now I know England were bowled out, but they were chasing something in the 270-280 region. I think they have gone 70-80 runs too conservative. It is what separates the "good" captains to the "great" captains- knowing what targets to set sides!

aussies1st

Staff member
Exactly 280 would have been enough probably. The highest total chased on Old Trafford is 220 something. You wouldn't declear at 280 however but its still a good total.

fish eel

Immortal
what would be enough and what you set are two different things.

the poms, if they're good enough, have enough time to bowl us out.

If we bat well, and they dont bowl us out, then vaughan will be feeling good about the decision.

Bugger keeping them interested, its an ashes, out yourself in the strongest position and then attack, attack, attack.

fish eel said:
what would be enough and what you set are two different things.

the poms, if they're good enough, have enough time to bowl us out.

If we bat well, and they dont bowl us out, then vaughan will be feeling good about the decision.

Bugger keeping them interested, its an ashes, out yourself in the strongest position and then attack, attack, attack.

But this isn't their strongest position. I believe they have backed themselves into a corner. If Australia Bat very well, they will win, If they bat averadgely they will draw. England need to bowl better than they ever have to win this game.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
But this isn't their strongest position. I believe they have backed themselves into a corner. If Australia Bat very well, they will win, If they bat averadgely they will draw. England need to bowl better than they ever have to win this game.

I agree!

fish eel

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:

Disagree.

If we bat how we have been, and they bowl how they have been, they'll win.

we need to bat more than well to win, 400 on the last day? very, very long odds of that.

Tommy Smith

Referee
waltzing_Meninga said:
Have to bowl better than they ever have? Why? They have 98 overs to bowl Australia out on a 5th day wicket (albeit sitll a decent one).

The most overs Australia have faced in an innings in this series so far is 103. So why would we have to bowl better than we have so far?

Fact is, the Aussies are being put under huge pressure and have ZERO chance of winning tonight.

Australia won't really be thinking they can win this game. I'd say they will bat conservatively and see what the situation is. If we need 200 with about 30 overs to go, and we have wickets in hand, you might see us have a go but if things turn bad, we will shut up shop and bat for the draw. If Vaughan gave Australia 350 with 100-110 overs, you would see Australia attack a bit more.

If anything, this declaration gives Australia a chance to bat themselves into form.

aussies1st

Staff member
Never say Zero, didn't you say Zero last test and look what happened. Were Bangladesh Zero chance of beating Aus? Nothing is impossible

fish eel

Immortal
Vaughan almost got the declaaration perfect.

Falling one wicket short.....but given we got up to 371, if he declared any earlier ad set us less than 400, he really could have been in danger of losing the test