What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mike Cooper

saintsarah

Juniors
I read in the local rag last week, that Saints are looking to sign Mike Cooper, a Warrington forward by 2014. I know nothing about him as a player, and sorry if this post has been mentioned before, but i'm posting to get my 20 posts up!!....but my first thoughts were, 'surely we don't need another forward'?!...

Saint69

Juniors
I read in the local rag last week, that Saints are looking to sign Mike Cooper, a Warrington forward by 2014. I know nothing about him as a player, and sorry if this post has been mentioned before, but i'm posting to get my 20 posts up!!....but my first thoughts were, 'surely we don't need another forward'?!...

We will need more forwards as a couple at least of our current squad will move on at the end of this season.

saint.nick

Coach

I don't think you need to start threads to increase posts, or am I wrong?

Twenty10

Juniors
This spells the end of weyman. He won't be at the red V next year. More players to be cut as well I am hearing....

dragonv

Juniors
This spells the end of weyman. He won't be at the red V next year. More players to be cut as well I am hearing....

Umm how do you figure that?

Last week Dragons had Mike Cooper in the bag but this article is saying several clubs are now after him. If we have learnt one thing that if the Dragons and another single club are after a player the other club will get him every time.

I hope the players you are referring to include Fien, Cooper, Harrison, Stanley bros and Henderson.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Articles below - with links.

I wouldn't trust The Sun article as they make it sound like he has signed. I don't believe this is confirmed yet.

Wolves ace Mike flies the Coop
28 April 2013

MIKE COOPER will be the next Englishman to join the exodus to Australia, moving to St George Illawarra.

The Warrington prop, 24, is close to agreeing terms with the Dragons to move for the 2014 NRL season.
Wolves, though, will insist on a first-refusal clause should he wish to return to Super League.
Dragons have already landed England star Gareth Widdop from Melbourne Storm and will complete a deal for Castleford’s Rangi Chase.
Wigan have lost Lee Mossop and Gareth Hock to Parramatta.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag.../Mike-Cooper-to-join-St-George-Illawarra.html

But the article below (also published this morning) is from AAP and probably more reliable, saying that he hasn't actually signed yet. But looks likely.

Dragons eye Englishman Cooper for NRL

By Steve Jancetic AAP
Sun 28th April, 2:26pm

St George Illawarra are the latest NRL club to embark on an English raid with reports emerging from the UK that the Dragons are close to signing Warrington prop Mike Cooper.
According to a report in The Sun newspaper in England, the 24-year-old is set to head down under in 2014.
The Dragons have been on a recruitment drive in recent weeks, having snared Melbourne's English Test five-eighth Gareth Widdop and Canberra back-rower Joel Thompson, while coach Steve Price last week re-signed with the club for a further two years.
Following the recent success of Englishmen in the NRL, with Wests Tigers' Gareth Ellis and the Burgess brothers at South Sydney, Australian clubs have taken a keen interest in UK-based players.
Parramatta last week agreed to terms with Wigan duo Lee Mossop and Gareth Hock to bolster the Eels' forward stocks in 2014.
Superstar Wigan fullback Sam Tomkins has also been linked with a move to the NRL, with the Warriors, Gold Coast and Sydney Roosters believed to be in a bidding war for the 24-year-old.
The possible signing of Cooper could cast doubt on the future of former Test prop Michael Weyman in the 'Red V', with the 28-year-old off contract at the end of the season.

http://www.nrl.com/dragons-eye-englishman-cooper-for-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/71956/default.aspx

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Umm how do you figure that?

Last week Dragons had Mike Cooper in the bag but this article is saying several clubs are now after him. If we have learnt one thing that if the Dragons and another single club are after a player the other club will get him every time.

I hope the players you are referring to include Fien, Cooper, Harrison, Stanley bros and Henderson.
I imagine by signing a new prop that Weyman could be the player who is moved on to make way for him.

From the AAP article above:

The possible signing of Cooper could cast doubt on the future of former Test prop Michael Weyman in the 'Red V', with the 28-year-old off contract at the end of the season.

Weyman is a champion and it would be great to hang on him. IMO, if he stay fit he still has a few good seasons left in him. But he is copping some injuries now.

Gore

Juniors
He was absolutely flogged in 2010 and he has never been the same...

We just about won that premiership off of his back... I think we owe it to him to give him one more season to get himself right and earn his spot again.. but i will understand if they move him on in search of results...