What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milford Track

Springs

First Grade
Any fitness or hiking gurus here walked this track? I'm trying to get my mates to do it at the end of the year and am looking for tips on getting there, expenses, gear to take and such.

woodyk2

First Grade
I want to do Cradle Mountain in Tassie. A mate has done it so next time I see him I will ask about it.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've not done it, but the Milford Track is on my bucket list. One I'd love to do someday.

Houdini

First Grade
I've done it, but did it as part of a guided group.

We booked through Milford Track Guided Walks and they supplied the packs and rain coats and picked us up and dropped us back to Queenstown.

You will need your own hiking boots (make sure they are well worn in to avoid blisters), thermal underwear, thermal jumper & socks, gloves and maybe hiking poles if you choose.

It rained when we hiked it, so we got soaked through to our skin, it was freezing and there was snow on top of the mountains even though it was only March.

That said, it was a great adventure and my friend and I loved it. Good for first time trekkers too. As we did it through Milford Track Guided Walks, we stayed in a lodge at night and got a cooked dinner, they had drying facilities for your gear, toilet & shower facilities and a nice warm bed to sleep in.

Let me know if you have any other questions, will be happy to give you more info from my experience.

Wilson1

Juniors
I have done the Milford recently. I did not do the guided walk which costs about $2,000. The track itself probably costs about $300 if you do it independently. Flights and any gear you need to buy will be your main costs. It's a heavily regulated track. There will be 90 people on the track with you so it isnt very seculded. You have no choice of which hut you stay at each night and the track must be walked in one direction.

I would say that most people can walk the track. When I did it there people aged over 70 and they did it easily. One of the best things about the track is you walk with the same people for four days so you form great relationships with people.

Springs

First Grade
Unfortunately won't be doing it this year as my friends wussed out.
I've got all my gear from when we did the Overland so we don't need to worry about that. We'd be walking independently as well.

Latest posts