What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millward's delivers a world of pain.

possm

Coach
mobels
Nightingale set up 1 try in a losing side FFS so what. If he had of set up 2 tries and we won then quote it to me. You say Dugan couldn't have set it up well he might have all scored it (much bigger body) but we will never know.
You applaud Millward for 2 purchases Vaughan & Mc Innes (ok with that) but what about spending well and truly overs on a 7 that has not made SOO is about 4th in line and we pay more than Cronk and has made a mess of our cap and to get him we had to let 2 internationals go. Well if that needs applauding it can only be for being part of the comedy festival.
You refer to letting Packer go being a good decision due the wear and tear from the power game, well if I am not mistaken Packer is one hard nut and very tough so doesn't that tell you that all our other forwards will suffer similar ongoing wear and tear?
Is Mc Donald a Millward recruit if so put him in the dud column?
All this talk we will look better as a team with a ball playing FB is just hypothetical. We have a very pedestrian set of backs even if the FB gave them the ball they will get run down very quickly because they are the slowest set of backs anywhere in the comp and the very reason why the coach insists on a power game.
On form Mann is the only player likely to score from 60m if he was put through a hole.
Recruiting Hunt was not the problem. According to Millward Hunt signed for much less than a million. Even if Hunt did cost a million, the cap has gone up by more than that, we have let Dugan, Milne, Packer and other go. So why would we be short of cap space - if we are -, because we upgraded all our forwards and juniors.

As I've said many times before, we needed to lock up our top grade players - Packer, Widdop and Dugan and if we cannot come to agreement with them, then target like for like or better. At least leave cap aside to do this before moving on to upgrade the rest of first grade players and then juniors.

So we signed Widdop and if we followed the above 'normal' path, we should have enough cap left to sign a good fullback and a top-line prop.

Old Timer

Coach
Well that novella was interesting and you called me ambiguous lol. Good one Einstein and who do you suggest as replacements? Are you actually promoting the young ones or do you want proper FG players. SMH
My response was to someone else's post so the relevancy relates to that and if you can't work out that well you should go back and repeat kindergarten.
In short I would have let neither go so no replacements would have been required but seeing as they are gone I would replace from within unless SOO or international players were on offer in other words no more journeymen.
You ask do I want proper 1st grade players well you will only find out if the youngsters are up to it if you play them and until then you can only speculate.
We already have Mc Donald & Mc Crone and a few others that come in and out and I wouldn't call them first graders and would punt them all in favour of youth.
Quite simple really
E = mc^2

KogarahWarrior

Juniors
Ok, WHY THE HELL DOES MILDEW (Milward) WANT FIELD AT FULLBACK? HE DIDN'T PLAY THERE AT 20'S, HE DOESN'T PLAY IT IN RESERVE GRADE, AND IN THE WARRIORS GAME, WHEN HE WAS FULLBACK FOR THE LAST LIKE 10 MINUTES WE CONCEDED A TRY.

HE IS NOT A NATURAL FULLBACK.
As Como Connection would say, Fact.

OLD FART DRAGON

Juniors
Josh has to go ,or does he also have compromising pic of Mary ,never want to see him play 1st grade again,move Mann to half,now before its to late ,field and nona are not ready,Mann played as a half five eight at storm good enough for bellyache to use ,why not use him

Drag Queen

Bench
My response was to someone else's post so the relevancy relates to that and if you can't work out that well you should go back and repeat kindergarten.
In short I would have let neither go so no replacements would have been required but seeing as they are gone I would replace from within unless SOO or international players were on offer in other words no more journeymen.
You ask do I want proper 1st grade players well you will only find out if the youngsters are up to it if you play them and until then you can only speculate.
We already have Mc Donald & Mc Crone and a few others that come in and out and I wouldn't call them first graders and would punt them all in favour of youth.
Quite simple really
E = mc^2
Relevancy. Is this a new word Old Timer
Quite simple really
E = mc^2
Is relevancy even a word? Never mind.

Old Timer

Coach

Evidently according to you my name is Einstein but now I have to be Shakespeare as well?
Yes it is a word whilst not often used still perfectly acceptable.
Maybe repeat 1st class whilst you are it.

Drag Queen

Bench

Ok, WHY THE HELL DOES MILDEW (Milward) WANT FIELD AT FULLBACK? HE DIDN'T PLAY THERE AT 20'S, HE DOESN'T PLAY IT IN RESERVE GRADE, AND IN THE WARRIORS GAME, WHEN HE WAS FULLBACK FOR THE LAST LIKE 10 MINUTES WE CONCEDED A TRY.

Spot on mate.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
I have no issue with Millward offering Dugan an offer that was shy of the reported $1million request from Dugan's management. $700k may have been a fair offer.

What I do take issue with is Millward's public comments about the offer which were so unnecessary and completely unprofessional. I can't recall any other club ever making such public declarations about a players' worth (or lack thereof).

Dugan has basically come out and said he signed with the Sharks (reportedly for an offer similar to ours) because of the respect that they showed him in acknowledging him as an elite player.

That tells me that if Millward had kept his incompetent mouth shut and treated Dugan with the respect that he deserves we probably could have retained him for the money that we were offering.

What a mess!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Dugan is one of the top 13 players in NSW so we should have paid him around the $1M.

Last time I checked Ben Hunt is not exactly equivalent to Cooper Cronk either but we still signed him for $1.2M.
Just because Dugan got picked for NSW does not necessarily mean that he is on of the top 13 players in NSW. I would have picked Bird ahead of Dugan for the first game. I also would have picked Tom Trbojevic ahead of Dugan too. Dugan wanted a 4 year million dollar a season contract. I doubt that he will be an origin player for much longer.

As for Hunt. He is a top class halfback. If he was eligible for NSW I think he would have been our halfback the last 3 years. I consider halfback the most important position on the field. Buying a top class halfback is the first thing I would do as a coach or recruitment officer. Hunt will be the best halfback that we have had since Billy Smith, who I never saw.

possm

Coach

There is no reasoning for Field to play fullback, only like Bird he will want a top dollar position. The only fact to be discovered here is:
It's a mess, a Millward mess.

Pro Dragons

Juniors
Just because Dugan got picked for NSW does not necessarily mean that he is on of the top 13 players in NSW. I would have picked Bird ahead of Dugan for the first game. I also would have picked Tom Trbojevic ahead of Dugan too. Dugan wanted a 4 year million dollar a season contract. I doubt that he will be an origin player for much longer.

As for Hunt. He is a top class halfback. If he was eligible for NSW I think he would have been our halfback the last 3 years. I consider halfback the most important position on the field. Buying a top class halfback is the first thing I would do as a coach or recruitment officer. Hunt will be the best halfback that we have had since Billy Smith, who I never saw.

Showing my age here but I believe since Billy Smith's retirement we have not produced a half back anywhere near his standard.

Bench
I thought Nona signed with a Queensland feeder team and had a clause where if he was offered a contract by a NRL side he would be released.
Saints offered him a contract and he took it, I assume as a back up for the half back spot.
If so why have with persisted with McCrone.
Nona has been playing well and one game he got seven drop outs in one game. He is also a good goal kicker.
He offers more then McCrone so why does McStupid stick with McCrone

BringTheNoise

Juniors
LOL Nona would be worse than McCrone.

McCrone is a fringe first grader.

Nona is a career reserve grader.

That being said I hope Mary gives him a go soon so that people on this forum can finally put a line through his name and let go of the false hope that he may be the answer.

Crush

Coach
LOL Nona would be worse than McCrone.

McCrone is a fringe first grader.

Nona is a career reserve grader.

That being said I hope Mary gives him a go soon so that people on this forum can finally put a line through his name and let go of the false hope that he may be the answer.
McCrone. Ahhhh McCrone......

The Damo

Juniors
Quite simple really
E = mc^2
So you'd have matched packers offer, given Dugan his asking price, and also played the youngsters and kept them contracted too? Pretty sure that would require an algorithm Einstein would've been proud of.
I get your pain, I do. But say what you mean. Should we have paid 700k 4 years for Packer? Should we have paid 1 mil for Dugan? Which was his asking price, don't sing me a sad song about getting told he's an elite player blah blah blah. That's what he wanted to stay initially. Would you have paid it? It's one thing to criticise fairly, it's another to ignore the realities

Life's Good

Coach
Point 1. No doubt Millward hasn't covered himself in glory when it comes to player signings but I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he is trying to manage the cap
Point 2. Millward is probably under instructions from tight*ss Doust to keep things in check because him and the board are useless at attracting TPA so aren't able to rely on those funds.
Point 3. What is clear is that Mary is wholly incapable of developing players(Dufty & Field should both have had decent game time by now as an example)& correcting players faults(poor kicking from McCrone, McDonald rushing in). That, to me, is where it all starts and ends.
How does it get fixed?? It won't because of Point 2.

Latest posts