What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milne

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
McGregor elected to go with a 'safety first' move apropos Lafai simply because he was an established first grade player.

So, you can see why he went in that direction.

However, McGregor's obstinance towards the 'bleeding obvious' meant Milne has only received an overdue opportunity now.

Let's hope he grabs it with both hands.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There haven't been to many exciting times of late for us Dragons fans . The emergence of Milne one of the exceptions.... Most forum members have been calling for his inclusion most of this season instead of the tin man . Mcgregor needs his head read (one of many poor decisions he has made). Can't wait to see the end of his rein. Mind the pun ;)

I think you will find nothing in there except:
1. The letter D.......and
2. A book called "An idiots guide to NRL coaching"

Nothing more to see there.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I picked Milne from the first night I saw him in a pre season game up in Brissie.against Wynnum this year..he should have been in the Firsts from day one...wished I had.tried to tell the coach but I doubt if he would have listened, which makes me think I should give this keyboard bashing away and take up coaching again....being over 50 shouldn't be a problem ...for starters there wouldn't be anyone warming their butts on the bench for 80 mins that's unless I saw my halves running sideways in attack......

mariner2

Juniors
McGregor elected to go with a 'safety first' move apropos Lafai simply because he was an established first grade player.

So, you can see why he went in that direction.

However, McGregor's obstinance towards the 'bleeding obvious' meant Milne has only received an overdue opportunity now.

Let's hope he grabs it with both hands.
Yes totally agree. Milne Quinlan and Hutchinson formed a strong combination in Cutters and time is definately overdue to promote Hutchinson also. It's about combinations!

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
I'm more upset they let Peter Mata'utia go at the expense of Lafai. Mata'utia was probably one of our best backs in 2015 and he was shafted onto the wing to accommodate Lafai. He loved the club.
I actually feel sorry for Lafai. He's got absolutely no passion for the Red V, and is only here because he was booted by the dogs. His heart just doesn't seem to be in it. I hope they do the right thing by Milne and keep him in there for the remainder of the year

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
Yeap get rid of Aitken and sign a decent halfback to play with benji in the halves. Put Widdop at 1 or f**k him right back to England .He isnt 1st grade halve unless Thurston or Cronk are at 7. My 2017 team if we can sign a few

Widdop
Nightingale
Milne
Dugan
????/Carr
Benji
Norman??
LAM
Farah/Rein
T Burgess/Masoe
Friz
Trex/Thompson
Sims

Havili/Dufty
Masoe/JDB
Packer
Host

Luciano Leilua and Hame Sele will be in the squad but need game time this year, like they have done with Host.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Yeap get rid of Aitken and sign a decent halfback to play with benji in the halves. Put Widdop at 1 or f**k him right back to England .He isnt 1st grade halve unless Thurston or Cronk are at 7. My 2017 team if we can sign a few

Widdop
Nightingale
Milne
Dugan
????/Carr
Benji
Norman??
LAM
Farah/Rein
T Burgess/Masoe
Friz
Trex/Thompson
Sims

Havili/Dufty
Masoe/JDB
Packer
Host

Luciano Leilua and Hame Sele will be in the squad but need game time this year, like they have done with Host.
Corey Norman is re-signing with the Eels & Tom Burgess will be playing with the Rabbitohs in 2017 . If/when he does leave, it won't be to sign with the Dragons.

saintphil

Juniors
Corey Norman is re-signing with the Eels & Tom Burgess will be playing with the Rabbitohs in 2017 . If/when he does leave, it won't be to sign with the Dragons.
no-one is coming to the dragons unless there careers are nearly over or are unwanted anywhere else.,not willing to spend money on coaching staff or players, giving away home advantages for financial reasons and then not spending the money is a clear sign we are stuck in limbo until we have a new board. Dugan has no offload in his game so fullback is his only position.

rasaint

Juniors
Good post Dragonsnz. Euan Aiken is a tough / run hard guy but lacks height, speed and has been badly beaten by opposing centres in recent games. Ie Titians and Tigers. The forum generally sees him as a long term centre. No way ; his lack of acceleration and jumping ability are very pronounced.

Thane Milne yes he is the goods.

FlameThrower

Bench
Milne, Host, Aitken, Dufty, Mann, Frizel, Packer...are the future.
The past is Creagh, Nighty, Farrel, Rein, Marshall., McCrone....move them on.
The duds are KFFL, Lafai, Havali.
Jury is out on Hutch...JDB, Thompson, Widdop..Dugan for the money ...
Mose did not even play for us this season....

Gaps everywhere and still no real sign of an answer for 6-7-9???

I think our forwards look shaky now too...

getsmarty

Immortal
Milne: A License To Offload
Tue 2nd August, 07:00AM
A A

By Jack Brady (NRL.com)

St George Illawarra young gun Taane Milne is the first to reaffirm the positives behind his move to the Club.

The Clovelly Crocodiles junior said his three NRL games this season he has realised the realities of what it takes to be a first-grade player both on and off the field.

"It was a big change to leave the Roosters and one that I think I really needed. I wasn't as professional as I am now I suppose. I just thought it was going to happen, by just cruising through the motions," Milne said.

"I found out pretty fast that you have to work hard to make the grade. There were a couple of times I was late to training and stuff like that while at the Roosters. Even through the 20s, I was going out on the night before games."

The Brighton Le Sands local said a personal lift in professionalism has been the key to his good form in 2016.

While he lives an hour away from the Dragons' Wollongong base, Milne said carpooling with the likes of Kiti Glymin, Josh Dugan and Tyson Frizell has helped him keep in line.

The clean slate afforded to Milne by Dragons coach Paul McGregor hasn't gone astray either.

"If I didn't go through what I did at the Roosters I probably wouldn't be the person I am today," Milne said.

"My nutrition and all that sort of stuff now has really helped me this year. I was a bit overweight when I arrived here so when Mary (McGregor) told me to stay off the drink, I stayed off the drink.

"He's been real supportive, Mary. He doesn't care about the past."

Milne has also earned a supporter in the form of veteran wing partner Jason Nightingale.

"Taane's really earned his position. He's worked really hard to get to where he is. How far he's come from the off-season to here and how well he's been playing for the Cutters has led to him demanding and getting his shot," Nightingale told NRL.com.

"I think he took it with two hands a few weeks ago and has backed up ever since. I'm really enjoying playing outside of him at the moment and seeing his growth week-to-week."

Milne's three games so far has seen him average 107 metres, two tackle breaks and a whopping four offloads per game.

His offloading prowess in particular is somewhat of an objective handed down from McGregor himself.

"I have a license to offload so it's been pretty good the way I've been approached to play," Milne said.

"The boys back me up to, I've made a few mistakes in fairness but they just pick me back up so it's alright."

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/08/02/milne_a_license_to_o.af_news.html