What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milne

The Doc

Juniors
I read an article about a week ago, where it said at the end of last season we where deep into talks with Milnes management about a contract extension.
The article said talks all just stopped.
Why?
Im baffled as to why he wasnt extended?
He is still used (even though its on the bench) so its not like he isnt seen as a valuable player for the team.
Then the rumour about signing with the tigers (lasted about a week and died out) and here he is still being picked in the 17, first back promoted when injuries strike, and still unsigned beyond this year.
Anyone know any more about what could have happened?
I will keep looking for the article and post the link when i find it.

barry

Juniors
I would say that the club is currently working on Dugan, once we know whats happening with Dugan then i assume the club will move forward with contract talks with Milne, mann, Lafai and Packer.

If Dugan leaves i would imagine the club would retain the above mentioned players, unless we chase a replacement ie Gagai.

If Dugan stays i cant see the club holding onto all 3 - Milne, Mann and Lafai. Lafai would be at the top of the pekking order and im sure theres plenty of other clubs that would gaurentee a first grade spot for Mann nd Milne.

I see Packer and Lafai staying regardless.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Milne keeps getting selected in our 21 nearly every week. For mine that shows we are still interested in keeping him.
There are others who could come into the 21 or even the 17 if Milne wasnt in favour.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
i think Millward thinks that Milne is a hindrance to his whiteboard future Dragons teams, with players like Herbert, Garrick, Lomax, Aitken and possibly Dugan, and not to mention Lafai & Mann all fighting for centre spots someone one/two or three may need to move on..

Frank Facer

First Grade
i think Millward thinks that Milne is a hindrance to his whiteboard future Dragons teams, with players like Herbert, Garrick, Lomax, Aitken and possibly Dugan, and not to mention Lafai & Mann all fighting for centre spots someone one/two or three may need to move on..
Your post makes perfect sense. In saying that I would still have Milne penciled (White Boarded) in as one centre. I would not be offering Dugan 750K a season to play centre for us when we have Milne who I think could be good enough to press for origin and Lafai has been in good form for us this year. They would be my centre pairing right now. I am yet to see Lomax, Herbert or Garrick, but I have heard/read positive reports about all three of them. I recall someone saying that Lomax is a very good prospect. I would be keeping Lafai and Milne, with Herbert, Garrick and Lomax given a bit of time to develop. One or two of them could get opportunities on the wing or centre, if we have injuries. If they are really special, then they should be able to show it when they get the opportunity. I don't know why Milward signed Aikten up long term.

possm

Coach
Your post makes perfect sense. In saying that I would still have Milne penciled (White Boarded) in as one centre. I would not be offering Dugan 750K a season to play centre for us when we have Milne who I think could be good enough to press for origin and Lafai has been in good form for us this year. They would be my centre pairing right now. I am yet to see Lomax, Herbert or Garrick, but I have heard/read positive reports about all three of them. I recall someone saying that Lomax is a very good prospect. I would be keeping Lafai and Milne, with Herbert, Garrick and Lomax given a bit of time to develop. One or two of them could get opportunities on the wing or centre, if we have injuries. If they are really special, then they should be able to show it when they get the opportunity. I don't know why Milward signed Aikten up long term.
I'm sure my thoughts on Millward and his whiteboard and Mary as a coach are now very clear to most members on here. So suffice to say, I rate Milne and Lafai the two form centres of our club - Dugan being our fullback - and definitely the best value for money centre combination we have at the Dragons.

In years to come this could very well change however, I have a strong opinion on the merits of picking the best possible players each week for our first grade 17. There is room for blooding young players but no room for selecting out of form favourites.

With regards to the retention of Milne, I see this as a priority and believe it to be just as important as retaining the likes of young juniors already signed. The big difference between Milne and the likes of Herbert is that Milne is a proven first grader and Herbert needs to be blooded.

In my opinion Milne should have been signed ahead of Aitken only because he is a better centre than Aitken.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach

Looking at all the boys extending over the last 12 months, I believe it is front loading of contracts to free up space for next few years.

We pay them two years of money this year and in return they sign an extension that gives us the rights to their services for an extended period, with the right to negotiate with the last offer written in at a point that is agreed in the contract (ie the end of the period that has been paid to).

Its a very US Pro sports set up.

Contracts are expendable negotiating chips. The rights to the players services are a big thing moving forward. We have top shelf players locked in with, I would assume, very favorable negotiating terms at time of renewal, in exchange for bulk cash for the layers and agents now.

We are ahead of the curve here and it is showing.

Latest posts