What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Daley has already decided who will be in the team this year. Sadly it appears Pearce and Maloney will be our halves unless of course injuries.

Noname36

First Grade
Carneys composure in big occasion games is always a question though.

That said if we had actually let a combination build in the Origin arena we might have more to asses

Pearce has been in 10 origins and has done absolutely nothing. I'd be more than willing to take the risk on Carney. We know Pearce isn't going to do anything. At least there's a chance with Carney.

It doesn't matter what we say though I guess. Pearce will be there. Maloney will be there...and once again we won't seriously trouble QLD.

perverse

Referee
Has anyone in the history of the game done less on the rep stage to maintain their jersey for 10 games?

Springs

First Grade
No. But unfortunately Pearce has played 12 games.
1 in 2008. 11 consecutively 2010-13. Can't really blame him for 2008, nor being brought in in 2010. But Soward and Carney were dropped after 3 games each, where in each game they played better than Pearce. He has had 3 consecutive series to do something and hasn't. I don't think even Johns had that when he was in his prime uninjured, as Kimmorley and Toovey were picked ahead of him a few times.

Just looking it up, Johns played 6 straight games 98-99 before Kimmorley was picked in 2000. He played 6 straight again 02-03 before being injured in 04. Since then we've had Finch, Wallace, Bird, Campese, Mullen, Lyon, Barrett, Kimmorley, Soward and Carney tried in the halves and none have lasted more than 3 games. Yet Pearce gets 11.

Looking back even further, Stuart's record was 8 games in a row, Sterlo 7, Mortimer 4, Hasler and Brandy 2 each. So even proven GF, Origin and test-winning halves didn't get as many chances as Pearce after 4 series losses in a row.

Springs

First Grade
I just don't understand why they have to make it so hard for themselves. Sure QLD are good but we could at least start by picking our best players. Pearce and Maloney are solid at club level (helped out by the best forward pack in the comp IMO) but they don't have the class, skills, and most importantly vision that Carney does. That's what we need in Origin, blokes that have vision and can actually play what's in front of them. I wouldn't actually mind Maloney at 5/8 (and I think he will be) as long as Carney rather than Pearce was at halfback.

Carney was the reason they got there in 2010. After he left they went to shit. Last year SBW, Maloney, JWH, Friend, Moa, Cordner, Minichiello, RTS, Jennings all had a bigger impact than Pearce.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
No. But unfortunately Pearce has played 12 games.
1 in 2008. 11 consecutively 2010-13. Can't really blame him for 2008, nor being brought in in 2010. But Soward and Carney were dropped after 3 games each, where in each game they played better than Pearce. He has had 3 consecutive series to do something and hasn't. I don't think even Johns had that when he was in his prime uninjured, as Kimmorley and Toovey were picked ahead of him a few times.

Just looking it up, Johns played 6 straight games 98-99 before Kimmorley was picked in 2000. He played 6 straight again 02-03 before being injured in 04. Since then we've had Finch, Wallace, Bird, Campese, Mullen, Lyon, Barrett, Kimmorley, Soward and Carney tried in the halves and none have lasted more than 3 games. Yet Pearce gets 11.

Looking back even further, Stuart's record was 8 games in a row, Sterlo 7, Mortimer 4, Hasler and Brandy 2 each. So even proven GF, Origin and test-winning halves didn't get as many chances as Pearce after 4 series losses in a row.

Those are some pretty staggering numbers when you put it that way.

Essentially, based on experience, Pearce would have to be (or near enough to) next in line as captain! From memory Hayne, Bird, Lewis and Watmough are the only current players with more experience.

Think about that Blues fans...

Zigwaa

Bench
Those are some pretty staggering numbers when you put it that way.

Essentially, based on experience, Pearce would have to be (or near enough to) next in line as captain! From memory Hayne, Bird, Lewis and Watmough are the only current players with more experience.

Think about that Blues fans...

This makes me want to vomit.

I don't think I can cheer on another NSW team that has Mitchell Pearce in it.

Carney has to be at 7. If the sharks had 7 on his back it would make no difference to them, but old school Daley might realise 6 & 7 do the same thing in the modern game.

Pick the best players FFS. Club combination's don't mean shit.

Springs

First Grade
This makes me want to vomit.

I don't think I can cheer on another NSW team that has Mitchell Pearce in it.

Carney has to be at 7. If the sharks had 7 on his back it would make no difference to them, but old school Daley might realise 6 & 7 do the same thing in the modern game.

Pick the best players FFS. Club combination's don't mean shit.

I wouldn't mind Carney at 7 but you're wrong about the Sharks. Carney wore 7 when he first came to the Sharks, he struggled and then they put him at 6 and Robson at 7. Both Carney and the rest of the team said how much better it was.
In a lot of teams 7 still controls the forwards and the ruck. That's what happens at the Sharks. Robson directs the team while Carney still has freedom to set up what he wants.
There are still reasons why some players wear 6 and some wear 7.

Swarzey

Bench
NSW coach Laurie Daley tips Mitchell Pearce to keep Blues No.7 jersey

Gx3CVdN.gif

Tommy Smith

Referee
Carney was the reason they got there in 2010. After he left they went to shit. Last year SBW, Maloney, JWH, Friend, Moa, Cordner, Minichiello, RTS, Jennings all had a bigger impact than Pearce.
That's just a blatant lie.

Pearce was instrumental in our success.

Far more so than Mini, Cordner, RTS, Jennings and Moa.

You guys are absolutely hysterical.

DJShaksta

First Grade
I wouldn't mind Carney at 7 but you're wrong about the Sharks. Carney wore 7 when he first came to the Sharks, he struggled and then they put him at 6 and Robson at 7. Both Carney and the rest of the team said how much better it was.
In a lot of teams 7 still controls the forwards and the ruck. That's what happens at the Sharks. Robson directs the team while Carney still has freedom to set up what he wants.
There are still reasons why some players wear 6 and some wear 7.

Which is exactly why the Sharks are playing like busted asses right now.
No Robson and Carney's only played the one game where he had to do it all.

tumbidragon

First Grade
What about Kelly Mr. Daley. Been far more impressive than Mitchell and behind an inferior pack! Nah you're right. Lets pick Mitch because he's such a gun rep player, nothing to do with daddy at all... #joke.

Springs

First Grade
That's just a blatant lie.

Pearce was instrumental in our success.

Far more so than Mini, Cordner, RTS, Jennings and Moa.

You guys are absolutely hysterical.

So that still leaves him the 5th most 'instrumental' player in your team last year. :lol:
Compared to Carney who was no.1 in 2010 and no.1 at the Sharks now.

Springs

First Grade
The point is, when Pearce has had to lead the team and be their no.1 player, they go shit. See 2011 and 2012.

Latest posts