What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitchell Pearce

Agree totally.

In fact one more series from him & I'd say they should remove Wally's statue and put Pearceoff up in bronze. Or maybe even gold.

Just how f**king stupid are the bloos selectors?
Better still:
Pearce on all fours being buttf**ked by a giant Cane Toad. With a plaque quoting: "This is better than any little white dog I've ever known!!"

Cleary could be Kangaroos half next year: Meninga
Brent Read12:00AM September 14, 2017

Halfback Nathan Cleary will lead Penrith against Brisbane tomorrow night.
Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga has dangled a carrot in front of Penrith halfback Nathan Cleary by suggesting the Panthers playmaker could be ready to wear the Australian No 7 jersey as soon as next year.

Cleary, who will lead Penrith against Brisbane tomorrow night, is likely to be among the top contenders to replace Cooper Cronk should the Melbourne star decide to retire at the end of this season.

Meninga also mentioned North Queensland half Michael Morgan, Sydney Roosters and NSW No 7 Mitchell Pearce and Manly playmaker Daly Cherry-Evans but he made it clear Cleary would be ready for higher honours sooner rather than later, starting with next year’s State of Origin series.

Asked whether he thought Cleary would then be ready to replace Cronk, Meninga said: “Quite possibly. I have no doubt he will be in that mix.

“If you are good enough, you are old enough. He gives himself time to think and perform an action — to kick or pass. He has time to do that. That can only get better because he has an innate ability to slow things down and not be under pressure all the time.”

Cleary’s ability to handle pressure is likely to be tested tomorrow night as the Panthers attempt to keep their season alive against the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium. The 19-year-old has met expectation head on this season, stamping himself as not just a star of the future but of the present.

There were some who thought he was ready for Origin this year. Meninga has no doubt he will be ready next season.

“I reckon he is right to go with an experienced guy beside him,” Meninga said. “Maybe you put in a Mitchell Pearce or someone like that. You already have James Tedesco (at fullback) so he has some good experience around him.”

Brisbane hooker Ben Hunt paid Cleary arguably the greatest compliment before their sudden- death clash, saying taking him on was like “going into a game against Johnathan Thurston”.

And Queensland coach Kevin Walters wasn’t surprised. “There is only one Johnathan Thurston for mine but for a guy his age he is doing some great stuff on the field,” Walters said of Cleary.

“He’s a quality player, he’s got a calm head on his shoulders for a young player. And I thought his tactics (in finals win over Manly) were really good last week, kicking the ball early — that sort of stuff wins big end-of-season games.”

However, Walters sounded like an anxious man when asked about the possibility of Cleary making his Blues debut as soon as next year. “I hope it is a long way away,” he said.

Meninga named his Prime Minister’s XIII squad yesterday for the September 23 game against Papua New Guinea, selecting Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic in the centres and Tigers custodian Tedesco in the No 1 jersey.

Trbojevic is likely to spend time at fullback and wing as well, with Tedesco slotting in at centre. Both will need to impress to improve their chances of making the World Cup squad.

The likelihood is that Melbourne’s Billy Slater and Brisbane’s Darius Boyd will be in the Kangaroos squad for the tournament, meaning the selection of Trbojevic and Tedesco could hinge on how well both acquit themselves playing in the centres and on the wing.

“Both Teddy and young Trbojevic have played in the centres and on the wing before,” Meninga said. “We have a lot of competition which is difficult, but healthy. You don’t know what will happen in the next few weeks. You have to keep your options open. They’re in the mix.”

There was also a place for Josh Dugan in the centres despite his well-documented problems in the latter stages of St George Illawarra’s season, when he was dropped for missing the team bus.

Dugan and Blake Ferguson were also at the centre of the NSW Blues’ fallout, and both called Meninga to tell him their side of the story.

“I was impressed they contacted me to give their side,” Meninga said. “In Duges’ case, the last incident at the Dragons he said was his fault and he put his hand up. That tells me a lot about his character. He copped that on the chin.

“I think they are both marvellous people. They have grown as people. I am impressed that they can own up to things."

Penrith fell apart against the Broncos. Not Cleary's fault but the key men in Bennett's team showed their class while the up and comers of Penrith failed to capitalise on better completion rate, better penalty stats and greater possession than Brisbane.

The 5th tackle options of Penrith were less effective also. That is Cleary's department.

Meanwhile Michael Morgan goes from strength to strength. As it stands now, we know that Thurston will never play again in a Maroons jersey. Whether Cooper Cronk has already played his last Origin match remains to be seen. Despite that, the QLD halves stocks look to be well served by Cameron Munster and Michael Morgan.

NSW doesn't seem to be overly plush in this area still. Pearce will be considered again for Blues selection in 2018 by dint of the fact that his team reaches the finals this year.

I hope he gets selected.

King hit

Coach
It was the Broncos defence that denied the Panthers not Cleary. He played well and did everything possible to get the Panthers the win. If he was a Queenslander you would be jerking off to him.

Spot On

Coach
If the Roosters were serious about a premiership in the next few years they would ship Pearce ASAP and buy a decent halfback. He's finished.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
you'd think he'd never get anywhere near an aus jumper but just remember ben Hornby once was Australia's halfback

you'd think he'd never get anywhere near an aus jumper but just remember ben Hornby once was Australia's halfback
Lol good old Sticky looking after the NSW boys in the 2006 Tri nations
Leave a red hot JT out & put Hornby in ..lol
We got rolled by the poms .

Was a laughable selection .

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/484db5861cc2150c46df578378e2c568

In swoops Cronk, Bootski. Soon no more Chooks #7 jumper for Mitchell.

Mitchell Pearce. The gift that just keeps on giving.

Far from being the better Origin #7, Pearce will not be wanted as the half for the club he was co-captain of. The denigrated by some Cooper Cronk will ironically be taking his place in the Sydney City Rooted. Fate is funny.

How are ya feeling now Mitch?

Last edited:
I hope that Cronk plays like shit for the Rooted. 2 years and he walks away from the game with million$$$$$. Pearce has been getting away with that for years.

Pearce will remain a liability for any team unfortunate enough to take him on.