What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monaghan looking for NRL home

Chachi

Bench
Monaghan looking for NRL home
Brent Read and Margie McDonald | April 08, 2009
Article from: The Australian

MICHAEL Monaghan is as good as on his way back to Australia next season after English club Warrington gave him permission to explore his options in the NRL.

And Monaghan's Warrington teammate Matt King could also be contemplating a return as the new taxation laws in England force clubs to tighten their purse strings.

Warrington is expected to be one of the hardest hit by an investigation into off-shore payments to NRL stars, hence the club's decision to allow Monaghan to leave should he find a suitable offer in Australia.

King is also on a healthy contract, although his manager, George Mimis, said last night he was unaware of any move by the Wolves to allow him to leave. The Australian last week reported the crackdown by Britain's Inland Revenue on tax-free loopholes.

Monaghan, 28, began his first-grade career in Canberra and has already been linked with a return to the Raiders, where his brother Joel plays.
King has had a love-hate relationship with Wolves fans. Late last year he was voted the worst import in Super League history, and the relationship hit rock bottom this year when he was forced to apologise for giving them a one-fingered salute after a loss to Harlequins.

While those two players hope to revive their NRL careers, Michael De Vere is kissing his goodbye for a second time, after just one game.

De Vere, 31, made his return for the Broncos in last Friday night's match against St George Illawarra and, despite the occasion, told coach Ivan Henjak he had lost his motivation. "He ... said that he'd lost the edge," Henjak said yesterday. "That's really important with players who have got really high standards like Mike."

De Vere first retired at the end of 2006 after a glittering career with Brisbane and Super League club Huddersfield, during which he chalked up 198 first-grade games and played in four State of Origin games for NSW and five Tests.

Meanwhile, Sydney Roosters coach Brad Fittler yesterday recalled Nate Myles and Willie Mason for the game against Brisbane at the SFS on Friday night after a one-match demotion for breaking the club's alcohol rules.
However, Fittler retained their replacements from last weekend, Frank-Paul Nuuausala and Shane Shackleton.

Myles is in the starting side -- but not at prop after Nuuausala's strong performance against Parramatta -- and Mason is on the bench.
Shackleton has been switched to lock to allow Myles to move into the back row with Craig Fitzgibbon.

The Warriors take on Newcastle at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Sunday but will again be without captain Steve Price (throat), utility Lance Hohaia (knee) and second-rower Ben Matulino (ankle). Although he did not name winger Manu Vatuvei, coach Ivan Cleary said he was a chance to play.
"We'll see how Manu goes during the week but at this stage he's a chance of being included," Cleary said.
"The one good thing to come out of the match against the Rabbitohs was that we didn't add to our injury list. In fact, we finished a match with a full bench for the first time this year."

In other news, the Bulldogs have left out Jamal Idris for another week.
The club maintains his demotion to Toyota Cup has nothing to do with his anger at being dropped for the Sharks match last round following a punch-up in a hotel car park.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25305554-2722,00.html
Well, it's official. He's been given permission to negotiate.

At worst it's put a bit more pressure on Herbert and/or Flanagan to perform.

fourxman

Juniors
I think we should make a play for Monaghan. Might be just what we need.

With such a young side i don't think it would hurt to have someone with experience like him.

I wouldn't be to worried about Herbert and McCrone having to understudy Monaghan.

Brimmer

Juniors
I think we should make a play for Monaghan. Might be just what we need.

With such a young side i don't think it would hurt to have someone with experience like him.

I wouldn't be to worried about Herbert and McCrone having to understudy Monaghan.

Good Call Fourxman,

Besides, if the guys are good enough, Furner has already shown he isn't scared to make the big calls. Monaghan at Halfback is perfect (not to mention a bloody handy hooker!). I think playing back in the capital will only see the best out of him as well.

Chachi

Bench
Good Call Fourxman,

Besides, if the guys are good enough, Furner has already shown he isn't scared to make the big calls. Monaghan at Halfback is perfect (not to mention a bloody handy hooker!). I think playing back in the capital will only see the best out of him as well.
The problem is we probably need him right now. I agree his game would make a big difference to our squad. All you have to do is look at the key positions - Dugan (1 game), Herbert (9), McCrone (0), Flanagan (23) and Buttriss (17) to see we are massively under-experienced in that area.

Even our 'veterans', Campo (50) and Milne (40) are really just starting their careers.

I fully agree with your thought that even though he is playing fairly crap right now (many Warrington fans would be happy to see him go) I think he will be inspired to play his best footy back where he belongs.

Last edited:
Thats my concern , his form isnt great and may be on a continual slide since the Manly GF. He wont come cheap either id imagine.

im each way and have been since the early rumours , Im a little worried regarding losing our juniors but I can see the value of the experience.

Man this picket fence hurts :)

Whats the bet Elliott gets him at the Penriff

Timbo

Staff member
He will never go to an Elliot coached team - Elliot was the spastic who spent three seasons telling him he was the best halfback at the club and then picking Brad Drew and Jason Croker in the halves ahead of him.

I think he'll come back. He wants to play with his brother. I would welcome him with open arms.

Anyone think it's worth taking a shot at King? I wouldn't mind that.

Dazraider

Juniors
Bring him back now, get a release, though keep Herbert in the squad cause he gives 100 & every game.

Chachi

Bench
He will never go to an Elliot coached team - Elliot was the spastic who spent three seasons telling him he was the best halfback at the club and then picking Brad Drew and Jason Croker in the halves ahead of him.

I think he'll come back. He wants to play with his brother. I would welcome him with open arms.

Anyone think it's worth taking a shot at King? I wouldn't mind that.
I'd rather another crack at Rooney TBH.

Nope, Monas and Croker are doing just nicely thanks Timbo.

Chachi

Bench
There's a story in the Canberra Times today saying the club is not interested in signing Monaghan, basically stating they have committed long term to their current halves and hookers.

Clubs have been known to sell the public red herrings in their time however.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
I have a feeling this won't happen. As much i'd love it to happen, raiders management don't have the balls to put an offer on the table. This is why we aren't a premiership winning side. It really pisses me off, I'm sure Monnas would be more then happy to come and play for us again and having him and Campo at 6 and 7 would be fantastic.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
eww...

I'd rather Waddell to the half back position then have monas back...i never rated him, obviously lol.

If the herb can play like he did on Monday then he should be given time to progress.

Mr. Snrub

Juniors
That's the problem with Herbert though, he seems to be abit inconsistent. On Monday he was fantastic but in previous performances he's been pretty rubbish at times. I still have my doubts in his ability, but that's just my opinion.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
monas is done...

he never really performed when he was here either...he only played a few games which may be the reason why he never performed.

As for herb, there was a time when campo was not in the top 17 of many people on here...now he is without a doubt the first player chosen..he was given time. Its sad for M.Monas but his time has passed. I dont like seeing us invest in an older type player to come in and fit in our system.

sydraider

First Grade
That's the problem with Herbert though, he seems to be abit inconsistent. On Monday he was fantastic but in previous performances he's been pretty rubbish at times. I still have my doubts in his ability, but that's just my opinion.

Im glad you and the rest of the "Herbert is inconsisitent crew" felt the same about Campo, he wouldnt be at the club right now if that was the case.

FFS Herbie has played 9 f**kn Games!

Timbo

Staff member
I think Herb is the man for the future. But I cannot deny the sheer class of Mick Monaghan.

Latest posts