What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monaghan looking for NRL home

nickraider

Juniors
Keep with the Herb. His game is improving all the time and he should be given more time to prove his worth. As for King, NO!

mongoose

Coach
As much as i like monaghan, do we really need him? Campese is the most dominant ball player in the NRL and once herbert settles into his role a bit more they will be a very effective halves combo.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Herbert - unfortunately is the worst halfback in the competition right now.
Now the fincy is out.

And that has nothing to do with his inexperince.

He just doesnt have those instincts nor the basics of a good halfback.

TBH - I think Waddell even Flanagan would be a better options at halfback.

He runs slightly handycap and passed like one also. Butchers the right side attack for the raiders.

Thas why Monaghan and Harrison are being under utilised on attack.

A solid hooker and halfback is holding the raiders from becoming a quality team

sydraider

First Grade
As much as i like monaghan, do we really need him? Campese is the most dominant ball player in the NRL and once herbert settles into his role a bit more they will be a very effective halves combo.

Exactly right!

All those wanting to drop herbie, remember back when we had a dominant ball playing halfback, it wasnt that long ago, his name was todd carney and Campo was hindered next to him.

the Herb has had 10 games to prove himself, campo didnt shine until well into his 30's, would you idiots give Mc Crone the same amount of time? FFS even penrith didnt want to keep him. Some of you blokes have f**kn lost it.

Chachi

Bench
Exactly right!

All those wanting to drop herbie, remember back when we had a dominant ball playing halfback, it wasnt that long ago, his name was todd carney and Campo was hindered next to him.

the Herb has had 10 games to prove himself, campo didnt shine until well into his 30's, would you idiots give Mc Crone the same amount of time? FFS even penrith didnt want to keep him. Some of you blokes have f**kn lost it.
Mate, no use trying to be sensible!

You're right. A stack of people wanted Campo gone after 10-20 games. People are desperate for success and patience is not a virtue around here.

We whinge and moan when the young fellas don't get a run, but if they do and don't manage to kill it within a month we start whingeing and moaning again.

For the record, Hebert won't ever be a dominant halfback who puts on the killer play Todd Carney style. He is an organiser foremost and IMO it will take time for him to settle in to the team. He is exactly what Campo needs but he just needs a little bit of time and confidence to take control of the game. I think he's doing exactly what the coaches are telling him to, he just needs to be a bit smarter in executing the plays instead of throwing guys like Picker hospital passes.

I'm confident he will get there once we get a dummy half that can pass him the ball with a bit of space to move.

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
Now the fincy is out.

He runs slightly handycap and passed like one also. Butchers the right side attack for the raiders.

He is a much better Hooker than a Halfback. He could direct your team around and help Herbert out. I would not get Monaghan to replace Herbert, he isn't good enough in the halfback role.

aussies1st

Staff member
Monas filled in the Manly halfback role very well, he guided the team around and his kicking game was top notch. He is definitely a much better than Herbert.

Monas filled in the Manly halfback role very well, he guided the team around and his kicking game was top notch. He is definitely a much better than Herbert.

but . . but. . . didn't Monas play hooker and The Ox halfback? And I hate to remind people, but wasn't he playing hooker in the losing Manly grand final team, not the winning one? I know that's a nasty tarnish to put on the guy, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Monas always wanted to play halfback (or 5/8th), but his coaches always preferred him as hooker.

A major reason he went to The Silvertails was that they said he could play halfback, but they subsequently bought The Ox off The Storm, so Monas was back to hooker.

Am I having false memory regression here? He's a hooker in everyone's eyes except his own.

peitafranky

Juniors
Now the fincy is out.

I have to agree. I don't recall Campo making any such massive mistakes as those made by Herbert. He plays like he is scared and naturally looks awesome when the forwards play well. I'm sorry but I think we should get rid. I love the idea of Waddell at Number 7. He's freakingly good. Love love Buttriss and we should get another hooker like him, maybe that bloke from Penrith that got in trouble on the weekend, he should be a bargain!

WireMan

Bench

Maybe it was a few seaons back but the last two seasons in ESL when he has had to kick he has been poor.

Not seen Herbert so i can't compare but if you want Monas to help Campese to kick you will be disappointed. He is a Hooker. A very good one i'm sure, but that is all he is.

WireMan

Bench
King has picked up performances recently now we have an aussie coach so its not definate he will be going anywhere.

He got in trouble a few weeks ago for aiming "offensive hand gestures" at the Warrington crowd, and that seems to have been a water-shed moment where a lot of fans stopped having a go at him. He actually smiled during a match recently!! :lol:

Also he is got a good contract which i doubt will be matched in the NRL...

Rumour is that Monas wants to go. He is homesick and fed up. There was also a small incident in a french airport which wouldn't of helped his mood much.

How does Weyman know?

Maybe Monnas can play 1/2 and hooker at the same time for Parra , he would do better than what they have.

Daddycool

Juniors
but . . but. . . didn't Monas play hooker and The Ox halfback? And I hate to remind people, but wasn't he playing hooker in the losing Manly grand final team, not the winning one? I know that's a nasty tarnish to put on the guy, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Monas always wanted to play halfback (or 5/8th), but his coaches always preferred him as hooker.

A major reason he went to The Silvertails was that they said he could play halfback, but they subsequently bought The Ox off The Storm, so Monas was back to hooker.

Am I having false memory regression here? He's a hooker in everyone's eyes except his own.
I've always been of the opinion, Moneghan was treated very unfairly by the Manly club and in particular Des Hasler.

In 2005, Michael was our halfback and captain. It's fair to say he wasn't amoungst the top 5 halfbacks in the comp, but he had plenty of potential and was improving week to week. Unfortunately, Des decided he wasn't good enough to be Manly's number 7 and went after Matt Orford.

Now if you remember, Matt was asking for big money and at the time looked to be headed to Souths. Michael was also looking for a contract and the powers at Manly (mostly Des) decided to effectively string him along for as long as they could, until Matt made up his mind. After a couple of weeks of dithering, Max Delmedge stepped in and gave Des the ultimatum....either sign Michael or release him. The word was, Matt had all but agreed to terms with Souths, so Manly finally decided to sign Michael to 3-4 year deal. Then either the next day or the one after, Matt contacts Manly and says he wants to sign!!

Well it's history now, Manly did sign Matt and almost immediately began trying to offload Michael to another club. However, he had a good contract, and apart from the drama with Des, he liked being at Manly. Nobody else could match his deal anyway, so he stayed where he was.

In the offseason, Manly had released Chad Randall, so the hooking spot was open. Michael was told to bulk up, as that's where he was going to be playing from then on. In a strange way, it was the best thing to happen to him.

Michael's problem, in my opinion was, he was too indecisive. With the ball in his hands, he often got too close to the defense before executing the play. This would invaribaly lead to him throwing a pass to a support under too much pressure or getting tackled in possesion. Now halfbacks need to take the line on, but the whole point is to put the defense in a position where they have to make a choice. He usually took too long to make up his mind and thus the defense were able to keep their structure and make the tackle.

These days, hookers and halves play a similar game. They're both playmakers and both need to engage the defense. The difference is the hooker is only responsible for about two of the six plays, the halfback the rest. When he was playing halfback, the responsibility to run most of the attacking plays seemed too much for him. So....only having to worry about a couple of plays to get the set started, suited him. The extra weight he put on, also gave him the confidence to take on the line a bit more. All in all, 12 months at hooker in 2006 improved his overall play so that when Matt was injured early in 2007, Michael slotted back into halfback and absolutely shone. He was a more mature player and was now able to handle the responsibility of running the attack.

He is capable of playing both positions however, he would be happiest playing halfback. As there don't seem to be too many quality halfbacks around at the moment, he'd be a fine acquisition for someone. Even though Parramatta desperately need a playmaker, I'd like to see him go back to the Raiders and play alongside his brother. Him and Campese would be a formidible combination.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
Good post DC. I thought Monnas went better at halfback than hooker, but like you said he isn't the greatest halfback going around. He used to make unforced errors to start the game, either dropping the ball or kicking out on the full in the first five minutes, then he'd inspire a comeback and we'd win by two. Used to drive me nuts. He reminds me of Finch in a lot of ways tbh.
He'd go well with Campese though.