What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

undertaker

Coach
With tonight's game between Parramatta and St George/Illawarra being the last Monday Night game before it is scrapped next year, what are your thoughts on this decision? What would you say have been some of the highlights and lowlights of Monday Night Football over the past 10 seasons, and what could've been improved?

Spade

Juniors
Good decision, no one wants to go to the footy on a Monday night. Thursday night is just as bad though.

Probably a 5:30 kickoff on a Monday could have improved it.

GongPanther

Referee
MNF is a failed experiment which proves that just because something works in the U.S.,doesn't usually transfer well anywhere else.

undertaker

Coach
Although MNF existed in the '80s, it was revived during the second half of 1996. That was the only time in its history where it was a success (in terms of the crowds). Some cracking matches, which can be found on YouTube.

TheDalek079

Bench
I liked the game when Easts beat Rabbitohs on the last play of the game. Big JWH scored with a couple of minutes to go to give the Roosters some hope, then in the next set Roosters spread it down the right side, Cordner kicks through, and Minichiello speeeeeeeeeeeeds through to gather the ball and scores the try, giving the Roosters a famous victory!

undertaker

Coach
http://www.nrl.com/nrl-broadcast-rights-deal-announced/tabid/10874/newsid/91023/default.aspx

looks like youre right, that is weird getting to games in time might be a challenge for school kids and working people alike as will watching them

ROFL at this point in that link you posted above. What a joke. Can't believe no one else has picked up on this:

• News Corp Australia will use its local media and newspaper resources to promote the game wherever it is played

God help us all if News are going to rely on the likes of Slothfield, Rebecca Wilson, Massoud, Ritchie, Paul Kent, James Hooper etc. to do that. Surely it wasn't Dave Smith who wrote that, as he could see right through the jerks at News Ltd. Whoever at the ARLC wrote that in the conditions (about News Corp) has their head right up News' rear end and confirms what I have thought about the ARLC since Smith left and Greenburg took over: that the ARLC is nothing other than News Ltd in disguise, giving fans the illusion that they have their game back as a result of the 'independent' commission.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
I hate my team playing it. I don't mind watching it though. It sucks that some teams draw it all the time...

Thats my issue.

It should have been an even spread of teams playing at home on Monday nights.

Also a max amount of times a team could feature on monday nights throughout the season.